'
Forum Home Forum Home > Ionian Islands > Kefalonia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

A Question Of Kefalonia?

Kefalonia, Ionian Islands

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gillyp Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Question Of Kefalonia?
    Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 3:01am
Hi everyone,  I would like to visit Kefalonia but am nervous as to where/which part? as we have visited Corfu so many times it is a second home to us.  Get off the plane, collect the car and drive off, knowing exactly where we are going and it always feels great.  But I would like to see Kefalonia.

We usually stay around Vingla/Sinies when on Corfu as we love the views, to give you an idea of the type of area we like.  Not too lively, quiet and peaceful with good beachside taverna's.  But we do like to get out and about exploring and are very into history/culture. That said we have two teenagers in tow, so something for them too, but they love to have a pool and enjoy the Taverna lifestyle and shops lol, its a bit of a tall order perhaps but lets see...

Any advice much appreciated as always.  I know I can google search pictures etc but find peoples views and experiences of actually visiting a place the best source of information to help make the decision.

Gilly
Gillyp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gillyp Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 5:41am
Come on..... Cant believe there is no one on here who visits or has visited Kefalonia Confused or perhaps I am wrong ..... Wink
Sidari-ite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidari-ite Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 8:25am
Hi Gillyp if Jimmy66 comes on the site he will advise you as will Francesca....

Jimmy visits Kefalonia (Skala) if my memory serves me right and will be able to offer some helpful tips and advice for newbies visiting the island of Kefalonia.
Gillyp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 8:55am
Thank you Sidari-ite, will keep checking in, glad to know Im not alone in here lol LOL
Mile High View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mile High Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 2:54pm
Having been to many greek islands and mainland over the years we still go to Kef every year for one week and have booked again for June.
We introduced our kids and grandkids to it and they cannot get enough now. Grandchildren love it. Its a beautiful islands but you must get a car and drive round to get the best of it, driving is easy and relaxed. We still rate it as one of the nicest islands for scenery, nice people and good prices. We have stayed in many places but always now migrate back to Skala. Its very friendly, beach is good and main street has some great eating places. Lourdas is fine if you can put up with the climb back from the beach when its hot. Lassi we feel is too busy. Sami is not to our taste. Fiskado is wonderfull to visit but very expensive but not to be missed as are Agia Efemia and Assos.
Hope this has insipired you, if you want more info, please let me know.

Rocdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 6:23pm
Katelios on the south coast is a good place to try, lovely beaches with turtle beach close by. Very nice tavernas and a couple of bars. Good bus connections and lots to see on the island
its nice to be important but its more important to be nice
Francesca View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Francesca Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:05am
Hi GIlly. I have been all over the island with Nathan from Corfu for the last two days but now have time to answer you. There are many places you could stay. I would say Skala and Katelios to start. Sandy beaches. good choice of tavernas. If the children want wantersports go to Skala. katelios is quieter. But if you stay in Katelios you can go to Skala by boat or by car or by bus as it is only 6 kms along the coastal raod. The good thing about these resorts is that everything is within walking distance and the teenagers can go off on their own in a safe environment. If you want advice on accommodation let me know.
kefalonia(at)agni.gr  If you find a package holiday you like and want to run it pass me then let me know. You can look on the website www.agni.gr/travel.kefalonia for villas in Katelios. See Ismini, Fedra, Semeli, Aspasia, Konstantina, Alexandra, Melissa. You can google for them as well. For some apartments down by the beach in Katelios see the website www.kefaloniatravleguide.com and click through to accommodation section and then to Katelios. 
www.kefaloniatravelguide.com
Silverbircher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverbircher Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:34pm
Hi, I have also been to many Greek Islands and I really  like Corfu, we went to Kefalonia and fell in love with it , we go to Agia Efimia which is quieter not so touristy, well not so many Brits, its very Greek for me I feel its like Greece 30 years ago, very laid back still very good prices, and the people are very kind and freindly (as in most places in Greece) Handshake We have been to Assos and Fiskardo which are both beautiful but busy Skala and Lassi are great as well but for me Af Ef has the edge, try it you wont be dissapointed we stay at Makis apartments which has fabulous views and a superb pool, there is a lot of history to see in Kefalonia, Ag Ef is close to the Dragoti cave, Sami and Myrtos beaches, also Melissani Lake. Try this link .. move the wee man over and you can walk up the street.
http://justkefalonia.co.uk/agia_efimia.asp
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:27pm
We also love Agia Efimia

It is very laid back but has all you want, bakers, supermarket, chemist, good tavernas etc as well as a busy small port with a periptero. It is a mixture of old and new but they all blend in well, not everything was leveled in the 1950's earthquake.  I love it

Most of Kephalonia is within easy travelling distance by car. One point to watch out for is the the very slippery roads  on Kefalonia, a combination of over hanging olive trees and the fact the road a made of marble chip aggregate and when it rains, well don't bother LOL.

We have traveled all over the island and still reckon Agia Efimia to be the best place to stay

Gillyp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:02am
Thank you all for your replies, very much appreciated.  Mile High welcome to the forum and thanks for all the information very useful.  Rocdoc thanks also will look at Katelios.

Francesca thank you for your very kind offer of help, you may well be hearing from me soon.

Silverbircher I will be checking out that link.

SusieH thanks again and those roads sound a bit of a worry, we always have a car and travel around a lot, O.H. will be on extra strict speed restrictions  lol

Francesca View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Francesca Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 4:20am
In Aghia Efimia if you are looking for independent accommodation try
http://www.agni.gr/Travel/Kefalonia/Aghia_Efimia_Apartments/index.asp
www.kefaloniatravelguide.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic