'
Forum Home Forum Home > Aegean Islands > Santorini, Kalymnos, Kos, Rhodes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Back To Thassos In May- Yay!

Santorini, Kalymnos, Kos, Rhodes, Aegean Islands

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back To Thassos In May- Yay!
    Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 3:51pm
Well we have finally made it back to Thassos and the Aberdeen apartments with crazy Vasilli and his lovely wife Carol. Had to cancel our last planned visit in 2011 due to a rather untimely heart attack! Cant wait, got an amazing deal with Thomsons after tracking the holiday for months. Should be quiet as we are going in mid May. Hope the temperature will be OK and the pool warm enough for the long suffering spouse to swim in!

its nice to be important but its more important to be nice
Sooz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sooz Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 1:33pm
Hope the pool is warmer than it was when we went one September! It was a little on the chilly side, to say the least.

Have a great time.

Sue
Corfu...I came, I saw, it conquered!
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 4:12pm
Must admit not expecting a warm pool as we are so early Sue, fingers crossed for a heatwave!
Cool
Sooz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sooz Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 1:22pm
Hope you have a great time Rocdoc. Thassos Town is great. I would love to return there one day.

Sue
CarlandA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarlandA Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 10:01am
We're going end of June - July for the first time, staying in the Thetis apartments. Really looking forward to it!
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 12:39pm
Some friends of ours stayed there last year and were delighted with their apartments. Is it your first time on Thassos?

CarlandA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarlandA Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:52am
Yes it is, Rocdoc. We've been to quite a few of the Greek islands, but quite liked the idea of Thassos. (seen many of your posts on tripadvisor by the way  )

Yiammas!
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 12:11pm
Well I hope you enjoy it, and you found them useful. Tthe town Limenas has lots to offer in the way of tavernas and archeological sites, a walk up to the acropolis is well worth it, taking in the amphitheatre on the way, and the agora and museum are also a must. Kazaviti  is a village I would advise taking a look at up in the hills on the west of the  island, it is semi deserted, but still gets visitors and has a couple of nice tavernas. The old houses there are beautiful. We also hugely enjoyed the jeep safari that Thomsons offered, it takes you to parts you would not see including Kastelli, and you get to see honey being produced and sample their gorgeous rose petal honey. The other places to visit are fairly obvious. They also run a day tip to Philipi on the mainland which is stunning. The island tour is comprehensive but a bit whistle-stop and focused a bit too much on getting you to a large jewelry manufacturer, but a good taster for early in your stay to help you plan trips. Worth hiring a car for a few days, you can circuit the island in 90 minutes but it will get you to places you would otherwise miss. Cant wait to get some spit roasted goat again... only 5 weeks to go.
Cool
CarlandA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 2:17pm
Yes, I think the idea of a walk with accompanying photos & description is a great idea! Thanks.

Definitely want to do the Island tour to get a feel for the place & also to visit any archaeological sites & hopefully get some decent images.
Not sure about hiring a car? Never liked driving on the `wrong` side. lol (great in Cyprus though!!!)

Thanks again.

Looking forward to a few Mythos & several Gyros ... 83 sleeps to go (not that we're counting. lol)
Sooz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 1:52pm
Probably one of the best Greek islands to hire a car...it's just one big, fairly good, road round the whole of the island which will get you to most places.

Rocdoc, the roast goat was a highlight of our visit.

Sue
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 5:54pm
Oh and the honeyballs, cant waitTongue

Rocdoc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 12:33pm
Can report the island remains unspoiled. The honeyballs are still as good as I remembered. Our first week was very quiet with just us at the Aberdeen and only 3 couples at the Thetis. Weather was a bit iffy in our first week and a coat was required nearly every evening. The pool was freezing that week. However towards the end of the week it picked up, and we did a fair amount of the island. Sadly our jeep trip up Ypsarion was a bit chilly as the cloud base was about 200ft below us and visibility about 20 yards. In our second week the temperature was up in the mid to high 20's which was just nice, by Tuesday we were able to use the pool. The Aberdeen was full and the Thetis still had 3 couples, 2 of them used the Aberdeen pool bar as it was always open. Fun and games on Saturday though when the earthquake hit, massive shock to the locals as it is so rare in Thassos, exciting and scarey for us as we had not experienced one before in 17 previous visits to Greece. Thats one to tick off! We had the car for a week and covered virtually every inch of road. Found some amazing empty sandy beaches, and visited some villages that we missed last year, particularly Maries which is lovely, up in the mountains, with a tiny square and a few tavernas. Was a real wrench to leave, and we will return in a year or so.

CarlandA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 7:32am
Good stuff Rocdoc, sounds like you had a great time & pleased it's still unspoiled. Can't wait to get there now.
We've also never experienced an earthquake before. Presume it wasn't a bad one & no major damage. Where were you at the time & what did everyone do?
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 1:29pm
Thankfully not too bad as we were some way from the epicenter in Lemnos where it measured 6.5r. We were in a jewellers at the time the assistant had just fitted my wife with earrings and a necklace, when there was a rumble and the floor began moving and the glass frontage started to shake. The assistant took my wife by the arm and said we must leave, now. We walked outside to the middle of the road and she left us for a bit and made a call to her village to check on her children, everyone just stood very still some holding their children very close. Meanwhile it kept shaking, and I looked up to see railings on the top of the building swaying, fortunately they stayed put. It was weird to see the glass shop front bulging in and out. After a minute or two it stopped and a little while later we went back into the shop, still wearing the jewelry, and completed our purchase. The poor assistant was shaking like a leaf as she bagged up. She explained there had not been one that bad in 50 years.
Thankfully there was no real damage other than a few bits falling of shelves. I believe they had another one the following day, again minor only 2.7r. 
CarlandA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 1:51pm
Must have been very unnerving, but glad everyone was unharmed. I've heard of glass appearing to flex/liquefy in certain conditions, such as earth tremors.
It must have been a strange experience, but in some ways a wonderful experience. (hopefully just the once though)
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 12:31pm
The earth certainly moved for me! ha ha, I think you should be safe for a good few years to come.
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic