'
Forum Home Forum Home > Aegean Islands > Santorini, Kalymnos, Kos, Rhodes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Just Back From Lesvos

Santorini, Kalymnos, Kos, Rhodes, Aegean Islands

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Back From Lesvos
    Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 11:15am
Well, we are back from another fantastic 2 weeks in Petra, Lesvos. The weather was perfect, with only one evening with a mighty t-storm, but temperatures ranged from mid 20's to low 30's daytime. Did have a couple of cool evenings where long sleeves were needed, and even had a blanket on the bed for a few nights.
Still a fair number of people about but a few businesses were starting to close down, but our flight was totally full, as was our hotel, the Niki Michael. They are also full to the end of the season. 
Had a mission to cover the Geni gulf area this year which we did, stunningly beautiful with some very pretty beaches and great old style tavernas, with traditional hospitality, and where they dont ask what you want, just tell you what they have got, and it forced me to use my pigeon Greek.
We also took a jeep trip up to mount Olympos again as we had a friend with us this time and again it was breathtaking.
Lesvos is an island that has retained its Greek character and hospitality in-spite of the many difficulties and hardships the islanders are suffering, they always give the best they can. We witnessed a teachers peaceful demonstration in Mytilene, and the museum workers were on strike for a couple of days, but if someone had taken 700e per month off my salary I would be out there too. 

The real sadness of our trip was that a few days later one of the teachers committed suicide, jumping off Molyvos castle walls after being told that he was to be made redundant, if you pray please offer one for him. It is the sad reality of life in Greece at the moment. 

We will be back next year, but the tour operators need to get their act together. A ferry service is starting between Turkey and Petra and many of the hotel owners are planning to switch to catering for the numbers they will bring rather than rely on the British and Dutch operators who have cut the number of flights they operate and the amount they pay on 1 year contracts, while massively increasing their prices to the paying public (our holiday will cost 25% more next year). No business can plan investment on that basis. No one wants to see All-inclusive taking over, it devastates the local economy. The island does not suit "family holidays" there are no attractions or entertainments for kids or modern nightclubs for the 18-30's, their visitors tend to be more mature travelers of 30+, many of whom have traveled extensively in Greece and enjoy the old style character and peace of the island, offering quiet resorts, great driving and walking, a spectacular and varied landscape, traditional tavernas, and isolated beaches. A low cost flight service is desperately needed, there is massive apartment and hotel capacity, ideal for those wishing to travel independently.   
its nice to be important but its more important to be nice
Cathy C View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathy C Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 12:44am
Thanks for your report Rocdoc. I have many fond memories of Petra and really must get back there again one day. I love Lesvos and it breaks my heart to hear about the desperation being felt all over Greece.

Cathy x
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 2:22am
What I didnt mention was that we visited the castle the day after totally unaware of the previous days tragedy, you would never have known, we found out from our host after we returned, it was numbing.

Messonghi Dreamin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messonghi Dreamin Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 8:45pm
Hiya Rocdoc,
Good to hear that you have enjoyed another wonderful holiday in Petra, I took your advice a couple of years ago and am totally smitten with Lesvos and Petra in particular. Totally agree with your points regarding tour operators, would be nice if someone could get their act together. I have heard that one of the Dutch companies have now pulled out of Lesvos, a real shame.

As for the desperation felt by the poor teacher, I really can't find the words.

Jackie
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 9:07pm
Hi Jackie, Lesvos has that effect on people, is rarely high on most folks wish list until they take the plunge. Once they do they are hooked. Our host Michael describes Petra as walking back into Greece in the 70's, other places such as Agios Pareskevi take you even further back. We plan to return for the 4th year running, next year, this time with our girls and their partners. Will see if they get the bug.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic