'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Corfu Help Please!

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janieb Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corfu Help Please!
    Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 10:51pm
We visited Corfu many years ago and now I am taking my 81 year old mother for another last minute trip next week! We are looking for somewhere pretty with a traditional feel; a good beach and not too many hills. Oh! and we need a number of decent tavernas and restaurants too...is Ag. Gordis very quiet?  

As a guide we love Skiathos and Lindos on Rhodes but want to go back to Corfu after 23 years!! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Efharisto poli!!

Jane
Weshamers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weshamers Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 11:30pm
Some pretty resorts on Corfu. Kassiopi lovely harbour, still as some traditional tavernas. There are a couple bars with night life, a bar that does nightly Greek dancing. Very popular, many return visitors of all ages. Kalami is quieter only 3 beach front tavernas and a couple of bars, bit more up market. Only done day visits to the resorts on the west coast. They tend to have sandier beaches, don't think any are too noisy. But am sure someone will give you more details. Hope you find what you looking for. lol xxx
Live,Love,Smile,Be Happy.Every day of your life
Janieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janieb Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 11:37pm
Thank you...will research Kassiopi now!
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 11:59pm
I  would suggest you look at Acharavi. It has a mixture of sand and pebble beaches and they are straight off the coast path, no steps.

You may find the beaches at Kassiopi a bit to much for an 81 year old to climb down, and up again too and they are all pebbles. It also has a few hills which younger people might not notice but your mum might find too much.

You can rent studios right on the beach at Acharavi although you might find the town a bit too busy for your taste, it is the capital of the north of the island.

You could also look at Roda.

I have only ever driven over to the West coast and spent a few hours at each beach and then usually in October so although they might have been quiet while I was there, I don't know about next week.

I know others rave about Boukari but I have never been there. It is supposed to be a well kept secret. Do a Google. certainly looks lovely.

I agree Kalami could well be another contender.

Kinninviekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 12:11am
We took the wifes 80 year old mother in June to Kassiopi and she loved it (for the 3rd time!).
She is quite short of breath but managed as there are plenty of tavernas for pit stops.
Check out http://www.kassiopi-bliss.com/ which has a 360 degree tour of the village.
Bob n Rosey
Corfusun58 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corfusun58 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 1:36am
Messonghi, excellent lovely tavernas on the flat and the locals the friendliest I ever met.
Janieb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:10am
Thank you for the replies...busy googling!!
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:57am
I think Kassiopi would be ideal, look at Diana Manessi's (no relation)a partments on the harbour
MCH View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 12:34pm
Arillas, plenty of tavernas, flat and not too big,
                                                                    MCH
Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis.
Weststekker View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weststekker Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 3:30pm
  Agios Gordios has a great beach with many first class taverna's. The way in is via some very steep roads which offer some fantastic views. There are many locations where they are almost on the flat. Check out  http://www.agios-gordios.net , There is also a 360 degree tour of the resort to help you see what is on offer.

Yammas, Colin.
Your Wish is my Command Master.
Tfg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfg Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:33pm
Look very closely at Roda it would be ideal. 
Janieb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 11:11pm
So many thanks for all of the info...will make a decision tomorrow based on availability.  SOOooo excited at going to Corfu on Monday...yep, flights booked but no beds yet. Ah, well, to avrio!!
Lily's Gran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily's Gran Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 12:56am
We are all keen to know what you decide. Wherever you go have a great time and let us know how you got on

and Charlie, Nia and Daniel's Gran too
Janieb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 10:22am
Well, in the end, Agios Gordios chose us!  It was a bit tricky at short notice trying to find availability for two old girls needing separate rooms but have booked to stay at Dandidis as this seems to meet all the criteria...hopefully!!

Off to pack...will let you know how it worked out upon our return next week! x
Gill B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gill B Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 4:20pm
I'm sure you will have a lovely time, right on the beach and a great place to watch those lovely sunsets!
Gill
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weststekker Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 4:50pm
You will be pleased that Agios Gordios chose you. You are right on the beach and have first class taverna's to the right and left of you. Next to Dandidis is Romantic Palace, a family run establishment that does great food. On the other side are several taverna's which are renown for their food and quality of service. If you should wish to trip the light fantastic, Sea Breeze have a weekly Greek evening, why not join in. Enjoy your holiday as I am sure you will.

Yammas, Colin.
Weshamers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weshamers Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 5:21pm
Hope you enjoy your holiday, let us know how you got on when you get back. lol xxx
Live,Love,Smile,Be Happy.Every day of your life
Kaffy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaffy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 7:30pm
Hope you have a wonderful time. As Colin said plenty of choice of tavernas on the beach. Just right for watching the sunsets. Out there ourselves in 3 weeks. Did the Sea Breeze Greek evening a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it.
What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.
Janieb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 7:33pm
Hi all...thanks so much for the info; advice and good wishes! It's been really helpful and much appreciated. Will post upon our return!
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 12:58pm
 "Time Out" on the main street near the beach offer free internet access to customers if you need it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic