'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Kalami, Kouloura and Agni
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Mozzies & Humidity

Kalami, Kouloura and Agni, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holiday Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mozzies & Humidity
    Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 11:31pm
I've been looking at the current weather and 10 day forecast in Corfu and it's rather hot!
We arrive next Friday and was wondering what the humidity's like, is it bearable?

Also hubby is a mozzie magnetOuch  is there many around now?

Can't wait for my 1st cold beer enjoying the viewsBig smile

SuzeyM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzeyM Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 1:24pm
Hi - we came back about a week ago and yes it is very hot but bearable...just lol.  Beachwear and very light clothing for daytime and you definitely dont need a cardigan/sweater for a nightime. A handheld fan is useful if it becomes too much.
As far as the mossies are concerned, there are a few around and Im a magnet for them too but my tips would be make sure you use your repellent every night before you go out (we use Boots Repel and have found it very good, smells decent too!), buy the plug ins/tablets at the supermarket and plug in before you go out as well as spraying round the bedroom with fly spray (smell has gone by the time you get back!). Also dont wear perfumes/aftershave as this can attract them. Sure other people may have tips too but these work for us and I had three bites in total for the two weeks we were there, and that included going horseriding (where there were plenty hanging round the stables)

Hope you have a lovely time x
Stevetheeagle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevetheeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 11:56am
Coming over on 16th for a week, staying above Yaliskari bay, not sure wether to bring Mozzie repellent stuff over with me or buy local.
Is here a big problem with them...or do we just take normal precautions.
Any advice would be welcome as don't want it to ruin hols.
Denjo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denjo Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 12:40pm
LOLReturned on 2nd September and escaped fairly unscathed. Took normal precautions as out-lined by others-plug-ins, repellents etc. However just a couple of general points to be borne in mind:
1) I believe plug-ins are not very effective if you have the windows/patio doors closed-this is because they do not kill the mozzies but deter them and if they can't escape they will probably attack in revenge. Better to close the shutters and leave the windows open. [but then you might have a problem with aircon]
2) Other insects bite apart from mozzies-various flies, small spiders etc. Someone mentioned horse riding and mozzies. Are these not more likely to be horseflies? On this subject I would try to avoid sitting near foliage in the evening for a prolonged period as this may harbour biting critters of various sorts.
Over the years I have picked up all sorts of advice about mozzies-they don't like basil in Turkey-they don't like the colour blue in Tunisia -they don't like vitamin B12 in UK.

To summarise--take normal precautions -use common sense and you will have a fantastic time and I'm jealous you're going and I'm not.

Regards

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevetheeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 1:14pm
First time to Corfu, can't wait...love seafood...quiet beaches...just some quality R & R, especially as summer seems to have left UK.
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 1:22pm
You may not need the aircon at night. Personally I close the shutters, leave the windows open and use the plug-ins. Spray some repellant on ankles and arms in the evenings and you should not have a major problem. My husband reacts badly to mossie bites but he has never suffered too much in Kalami as they seem to be attracted to still water rather than the sea.
Beside the sea all worries wash away!!
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 1:24pm
Also meant to say if you have mosquito nets on the windows and doors close these once the sun goes down as the warmth and inside light attract them.
Maryg55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryg55 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:23pm
Just back from three weeks in Benitses, took all the usual precautions tropical strength DEET, Skin So Soft cream, vitaminB1, fly spray etc. and at the last count I had 40+bites! Can only presume that the high humidity was maybe the reason that none of the precautions worked.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 10:05pm
OUCH!!!
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:07am
Can someone give me a rough idea when it starts getting dark in Corfu...just wondering what time to head back to villa without having to drive in dark. Have heard the roads around Kalami, Kassiopi, etc can be a little narrow and twisty/turny.
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:23am
Steve don't worry

Unless you have headed up the mountain or to some of the inland villages off the beaten track then I find Corfu roads no worse and in some cases a lot better than ours in Gloucestershire

By late September it is definitely dark by about 7pm, not sure about earlier in the month because their clocks change somewhere around the middle of the month
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:16pm
The clocks in Corfu change the same day as ours. Steve don't worry about the roads. The route from Kassiopi to Kalami is an easy 15 minute drive with very few bends. As long as you take it easy you will be fine. 
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by sue avrio sue avrio wrote:

The clocks in Corfu change the same day as ours.  

Thanks for that Sue

I know they used to change in September, I remember being on holiday once when it happened. Any idea when it changed to October?
Graham T-A View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham T-A Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:15pm
In 1996 the end date for summer time was changed to the fourth Sunday in October for all countries in Europe. In 1998 the end date was adjusted to be the last Sunday in October.
SusieH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:40pm
Thanks Graham!!
FrankthePlank View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankthePlank Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by maryg55 maryg55 wrote:

Just back from three weeks in Benitses, took all the usual precautions tropical strength DEET, Skin So Soft cream, vitaminB1, fly spray etc. and at the last count I had 40+bites! Can only presume that the high humidity was maybe the reason that none of the precautions worked.

Sounds like me, I got recommended ABC tea tree body products and oil- Ive used the last 3 years, as well as all of the above products and when I got back on Thursday from Kassiopi I only had 3!

It's not cheap but its worth it in my opinion, and after a while I couldn't smell it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic