'
Forum Home Forum Home > Ionian Islands > Paxos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Honeymoon In Antipaxos

Paxos, Ionian Islands

Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrick Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honeymoon In Antipaxos
    Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 7:23pm
Hi all, new to the forum...

Looking to book a villa on Antipaxos for the first week which is very close to the Bella Vista taverna (August 2013) as our honeymoon digs, then move to Paxos for the following week. Being then joined by daughter who will be 13 and her grandparents.

I've never been to this island before but remember Mykanos and others as a child and wonder how Paxos compares. First thing I noticed was the absence of whitewash on the buildings!! But am hoping that as a honeymoon/family holiday it will offer enough...

I like the idea of renting a villa for the second week but there seem to be so many to choose from and wondered if any of you had any ideas? I also feel that being close to one of the main villages/towns would be good?

Many thanks in advance
Garrick
Shakespearstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shakespearstar Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 8:30pm
Hi Garrick and welcome!

First to say that you have chosen a beautiful part of Greece to start off your married life!

I think Anti Paxos could be too quiet for some. Not in the day when the day trippers come to one of the 2 main beaches Vrika and Voutoumi but at night. If you don't self cater I believe you may have trouble getting something to eat and drink!

Where as Anti Paxos grows grapes and the beaches are soft sand with the most amazing blue water Paxos has endless olive groves the beaches pebbly and great for snorkeling.

As you say Paxos has many choices of Villas it just finding one to suit you. I think first to decide is  where about on the island you fancy: Gaios the capital and the busiest of the 3 main tourist areas. Lakka: the horseshoe shaped village that is a good spot to start many beautiful walks. Loggos smaller than the others utterly charming and very very pretty. Then again maybe choose somewhere more off the beaten track and hire a car to get you about. A lovely villa I saw recently was Loggos Retreat Villa and might fit the bill. A romantic retreat yet close to tavernas and bars of Loggos and it has the most beautiful views.

Hope this helps a bit. Just keep asking about anything you want to know, one of us will happily try and help.
Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life!
Helen :)
Leanthros View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Leanthros Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 11:42am
Hi there

I know a couple of people with accommodation on both Paxos & AntiPaxos, so if you want to send me a PM I can pass along their details.

Thanks
Grahame
Garrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrick Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 2:23pm
Thank you both for your replies.

Having done a bit more searching/surfing I hope that Anti-Paxos will give us a complete 'chill-out' week after the (I'm sure) hectic run up to mid August next year. I was originally looking at one of those huts on stilts (Maldives) then fell off my chair when the price popped up!!!! And was trying to find somewhere for essentially two holidays without adding extra flights! Judging by the comments and yourselves I think I stumbled across a very special couple of islands!

I have found a very helpful Faye at 4paxos.com who has a villa on Anti-Paxos and two in Gaios, Paxos which would suit the granparents (and my budget!) villa Violeta on Anti-Paxos and then villas Nancy and Fay for the second week, they are right next to each other and I believe overlook Gaios bay.

Grahame thank you for the offer but being a 'chat room' newbie I'm not sure how to PM (private message?) you!!

Garrick
Florin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Florin Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 7:00pm
Hi Garrick

We stayed in Nancia last year. Faye was empty so we had a good look round and both villas are excellent. They both have views of the sea but they don't actually overlook Gaios. You will need a car as it is quite a long walk to either Gaios or any beaches.
I am sure you will have a wonderful time.
Garrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 11:17am
Hi Florin

Thank you, and shall budget for car rental for the week.

I must admit the pictures do look good and having a recommendation/review from someone who actually stayed in or saw the villa(s) is perfect!

Are there any taverns within walking distance of the villas? And do you know if parking is a problem? (probably not! but being from Bristol it's hard to imagine!!)

Many thanks
Garrick
JennyB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JennyB Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:40am
Hello Garrick,

We stayed in Violetta on Anti-Paxos for 3 years. We usually had one week there and then over to Paxos for the second week.  This may be a better option for you as you will be on Paxos for your transfer by hydrofoil when your holiday ends.  There are no real roads on Anti Paxos apart from the concrete road that runs along its spine.  Everything else is by foot and some of the roads are just rocky surfaces and not at all suitable for cars.  Walking is the thing on Anti paxos, so take strong shoes as the rocks can be a little difficult underfoot, not a flip flop job!  It is the most beautiful of islands and once the tourist boats have gone you have it all to yourself.  The nearest taverna to Violetta is the Bellavista just a couple of minutes walk away.  This taverna does not open until June which was a dissapointment to us as we always went in late May.  From the taverna there are steps down to the beach and then the next beach along there are other tavernas which are open only during the day.  We would get our supplies in in advance and have plenty of wine and food for the week.  Any extras could be ordered and brought over for you.  Faye is a great lady who will ensure that you have a perfect holiday.  From Violetta you can walk down at least 100 steps to your very own beach.  It is all so quiet and peaceful that when a moped comes up from the port you watch it come up around the bay!  It is a perfect spot for a honeymoon but do consider making it your first week.  If you would like any other info please ask.  Jenny
Florin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Florin Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 11:57am
Hi Garrick

Sadly here are no tavernas within walking distance. It is about 1 1/4 miles to Gaios which doesn't sound much but it would be uphill all the way home!

We have only ever been in June and parking is no problem then. I believe the island gets much busier in August. We always park at the port and walk into town. The centre of Gaios is only open to cars in the morning.

I hope this helps. Emma 
Garrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:30pm
Hi Jenny

Thank you. If you've been back to Violetta for 3 years it must be a good villa with beautiful surroundings!! My plan is to stay in Violetta for the first week as our honeymoon then be joined in Gaios the following week by our daughter and 1 set of grandparents again staying in more of Fayes accommodation, villa Fay and villa Nancy. Also it will be August next year so hopefully everything will be open!! (Faye has been very helpful so far and is still offering assistance with hydrofoils etc!)

Anti-Paxos sounds ideal and from what I've read the island will be 'ours' from about 5.30 each day!
I shall make sure we pack good shoes to walk in! But can I pick you're brains about Anti-Paxos!...

Where abouts is villa Violetta? I've tried to look on Google satellite but can see nothing! (not sure this is really important but I'm curious!!) 

Do you know if the Bellavista (sorry it's closed when you're there but any others?) will serve 'take away' style food (I've heard it will stay open if booked in advance?) that perhaps would be prepared and then we could serve ourselves later in the villa?

Also what sort of provisions are best to take or order through Faye (plenty of water and sunscreen is as far as my thought process has gone so far!) (Oh! and a good supply of wine! I've heard/read somewhere that the locals make their own? Are bottles allowed out of their site for travellers consumption?)

Really any tips that you have for supplies, we shall be there for 1 week and I would prefer to order/organise everything in advance if I can.

Many thanks
Garrick

Garrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:33pm
Hi Emma

Thank you for the info. One last(ish) question, have you ever caught a taxi into Gaios, and if so are they expensive?

I'm already wishing we could go now!!!

Thanks
Garrick
Garrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 2:08pm
Hi Shakespearstar

I did have a look at the Loggos Retreat Villa and spoke (e-mail) with Sarah who was very helpful she even put me onto a new villa on Anti-Paxos and freely gave me advice. Unfortunately both villas were just outside my price range (although both are very beautiful) as I said to Sarah what I want and what I can get are sometimes very different!! Obviously I am not disappointed with Faye's villas as I think from other comments and photos I have seen they will still give everyone (including me) the WOW factor!

Garrick

Florin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florin Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 2:19pm
Hi Garrick

No, sorry we have never used a taxi but from other peoples posts on here they don't seem too expensive.

One thing you might find helpful. Tsoutsis mini market do deliver on a Tuesday I think. They are located on the waterfront in the old port, not far past the square. Gaios is so small you will find them easily. 

I wish I was there now!
Emma
Garrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 5:29pm
Hi Emma

So much for the last question!!! I was trying to find a location for the two villas and can't seem to find them. Mind you Google satellite pictures are a bit overexposed (probably all that sunshine!) As I said before it isn't important to know but I am curious...

Looking without being found out (it's a surprise for my soon to be wife) can be tricky but from what I've seen and read these islands seem to be 'relatively' undiscovered for this day and age... would you believe it was Google maps which found Paxos for me in the first place!

Thanks 
Garrick
Therese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therese Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 12:08am
Hi Leanthros/Grahame

I am also new here and not figured out the pm thing as when I click on it it doesnt open anywhere for me to write to you. Am interested in finding out about accomodation avail on Paxos (Gaios or Loggos preferably) and Antipaxos for 3 nights 1st 2nd 3rd Sept 2012 especially if you knew anywhere privately or even someone who let out rooms. Thanks 
JennyB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JennyB Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 1:33am
Hello Garrick,
I cannot remember the name of the bay that the hundred odd steps lead down to. It is the next bay over from the port. Sorry cannot find my map. We used to walk down to the beach and scramble through beside the old kiln through to the road that leads to the port. You almost have to go back in time and I always felt that we were akin to 'Swiss Family Robinson'. I used to take bread mixes in my suitcase and make up and let it prove in the sun. Our day would be very slow and relaxing and we would end up everyday walking down to the beach at Voultomi and finding the goat path, there is an arrow on the far side of the beach. We would scramble along the coastal path (long trousers good idea) until we came to the end and got down the rocks, across the beach and then out to Vrika beach for lunch at George's Taverna. Not at all sure about taking away food. They said that Bellavista would stay open during the evening if asked, but this did not apply as he was never opened in May. We would eat at Georges Taverna each day at lunch time and just use our supplies to eat at Violetta in  the evening. The swimming
pool is wonderful, and for you alone. Night time is great as the terraced gardens all light up. I always imagined wonderful parties there with people on all the terraces, but there is just the two of you. It is surprising how quickly you become used to the peace and quite. I am a proper townie but thoroughly enjoyed the scrambling about on the rocks and the contentment of just sitting under the tree by the pool, reading a book. I think that we were the first to stay on Anti Paxos. Greek Island club reps would ring us up to see if we were OK and tell us that they would move us if we were not happy. We loved it all! It is like going back in time. We would send out a shopping list prior and it would be in the house waiting for us. We would order all the things that you would have at home for a week i.e salad, yoghurt, honey, fruit, spuds, eggs, oil, chicken, leg of lamb, wine, beer etc. Used to take what I could in my case like coffee, tea, bacon. I would love to go again and often see Faye in Gaios and have a chat. We go to Gaios every year now, sometimes twice a year. We have made great friends over the years. I hope that I have given you an idea of what Anti Paxos is like. Unfortunately Anti Paxos is beyond our budget now, except for day trips, you will love it! We moored out boat there last Septembe and climbed all those steps up to Violetta. Definately not as fit as we used to be! Jenny
Garrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 8:53pm
Hi Jenny

Many thanks for the info and now I really can't wait!

I shall make sure that the Kindle has plenty of books loaded whilst the waiter (me!) tops up the wine glasses!!

Garrick
Garrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 8:58pm
Hi Shakespearstar

Is your countdown of 7 weeks for a trip to Paxos? If so can't wait to hear/read all about it when you return!

Bet you're wishing you had a fast forward button right now and a pause button for your holiday... Just don't pause it for too long!!

Garrick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shakespearstar Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 9:59am
Hi Garrick

I'm really pleased you have your honeymoon all sorted ....you are going to have one very happy bride! So romantic too! How you are going to keep quiet about this I don't know!

It is now less than 7 weeks till I go... though my profile counter says less! I can't wait but I need these last few weeks to try and shift some excess weight!  My clothes rail is now up in the spare bedroom ready to hang some clothes so I can spend hours deciding then changing my mind about what will finally make it into the suitcase!! The list of things to take is printed off. And If I had a milkman I'd have probably cancelled my milk by now!!! Its not because I'm super organized its because it gets me really really EXCITED!!!  Like I said Garrick I don't know how you are going to stay quiet!!!

Such a lovely write up from Jenny...I close my eyes and I am there! Big smile 
Garrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 2:45pm
Hi Shakespearstar

Your holiday countdown must be excruciating by now!

I have transferred the deposit and await the ok from the owner of the villas...just seems slow now that the flurry of activity and investigation is over!

I'm rubbish at keeping secrets usually but so far I am doing well and actually quite proud of myself! Also my soon to be better half can't stand not knowing (especially after a glass of Pinot Grigio!) which in a weird sort of way adds to the enchantment of next year!!!

Jenny's piece reminds me of Sunday school when I was much younger. They would get you to lie on a mat, close your eyes and imagine you were on a soft sandy beach with the sun shining and the sea gently lapping...magic!

I'd be quite happy to wish away 365 days (Also, that way I'd be guaranteed not to let the secret out!!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakespearstar Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 4:58pm
Hi Garrick

I'm counting down in sleeps now! 25 to go!!

We went to Burma early in the year and we booked that 12 months in advance...nearly killed me!! It felt like forever before we would be going and then suddenly it was on us!! To keep me going I would look for anything about Burma on www and then relay the info to my hubby...but you can't do  that!!  I think you you need to buy one of those "stingers" so if any time you feel the temptation to spill the beans you can give yourself a nasty shock! Wink

Keep up the good work and I'll make sure I do a report when I come back to help keep you going! What was really lovely over last winter was the regulars like Elaine, Tina and Malcy to name a few wrote about some of their memories of previous Paxos holidays. Elaine and Tina are real old timers...sorry girls I mean it in the nicest way!! Wink Certainly kept the fire of excitement and longing to be back burning!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic