Hi there Trace
I received the change to our schedule yesterday afternoon. We're travelling with Thomson on the Friday.
Due to this change, can't make our connecting flight back to Stornoway.
This presents problems now. Will need to contact BA to see if they will be prepared to change our return flight to the Saturday mornng. I don't hold out much hope of this without incurring a huge financial penalty. [Needed to change one leg of my sons BA flight from Southampton over the Easter break and they charged me....wait for it £212!].
I tell you this, I am so annoyed. Will keep you posted. I have been up all night on night duty so woebetide the person I get to speak to from BA customer services