'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Agios (Saint) Stephanos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Boat Hire Office Above Supermarket

Agios (Saint) Stephanos, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaGreek Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Hire Office Above Supermarket
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 10:58am
I have been reading the thread on Travellers Cheques on the general Corfu holiday questions forum. Now I asked this question a few weeks ago, when doubt was cast on the ability to be able to cash travellers cheques at all came up. It couldn't be answered at the time, but now the season has started, perhaps now is the time to ask it again. The question was, will the office for boat hire above the supermarket be able and willing to cash travellers cheques this year? We always take half cash and half travellers cheques (normally Euro ones) for safety.
We have changed our cheques at this office for quite a few years, and is something we would like to continue. Also doubt has been cast on the acceptance of Euro travellers cheques, while Sterling travellers cheques may be acceptable. Perhaps the office owners can give us a clear answer on this one?
In any case - I think I will double check to see if there are any changes by the time we come to Corfu in September.
Colin
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 4:07am
Hi Colin,
I wish you had raised this query last week, I had a couple of long conversations with Eleni who runs the office you mention then, unfortunately I am now back home.
I have found this telephone number for Gianis Boats, which is run from the same office, I'm sure they will be able to answer your question.
Gianis Boats 0030 2663 081532
By the way, your avatar just misses my little motor boat.
Bob
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 6:40am

Hi Colin

It's best (as Bob suggests) that you give Gianis/Eleni a call. I too, was there last weekend and friends who were with me tried to exchange sterling and at this point, Gianis "had no Euros".

Whether or not this is a permenant situation or was merely due to the fact that it was the very begining of the season I do not know.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Martyn

DaGreek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaGreek Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 7:13am
Thanks guys for your interest. I don't go untill September, and it wouldn't be the greatest hardship to just take cash. If you should hear any more drop me a post. Thanks again.
Colin
Mikeyt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeyt Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:33am
Hi there, 
I'll be out the from the 21st and I'll be hiring a boat from Gianis again so if you want me to ask then let me know. I must admit that I have a European card that is pre-loaded with Euros. No fees for using in shops or withdrawing cash from ATM's. Also 1% cashback for everything I spend and a good exchange rate of £1.00 : 1.2012 €. Just a thought.

DaGreek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 10:03am
Hi Mikey, thanks for the offer. Please find out what you can in regard to cashing travellers cheques at the office while you are out there. If I need to, I may just take a load of cash, or if you have no trouble using your card I may try one too. Do you use your card in the tavernas or just mainly draw cash from an ATM in Kassiopi? Cheers
Colin
D11burton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D11burton Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:22am
Hi DaGreek
I have a pre-loaded Euro card too and have had no problems with using it in the tavernas in Agios Stephanos, as well as occasionally using it at the ATM in Kassiopi.  Very handy because you can check your balance via text or online and load extra money on via same route when running short.  Only thing is whether Greece wil still be in the euro in September (we go at beginning of October) and what that will mean for all this.
Cheers, David
Mikeyt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeyt Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 4:50am
I'll check up for you and post a reply beginning of next week.
I have never had a problem with using a pre-paid card anywhere in Stephanos.
Off Topic'ish
If Greece do drop out of the Euro Zone - what does that mean for the Euro?
Will Spain have to follow? Ireland etc?
Is it the beginning of the end or can Greece salvage something next month?
Corfu Dreamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corfu Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 3:41pm
Mikeyt
What is the card you use? We always take sterling travellers and have never had any problem exchanging, but this might be a useful alternative given the potential currency problems.
Thanks.
Corfu Dreamer
Jeanne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 3:17am
Spoke to Giannis last night and he said they don't take traveller's cheques because "it is too complicated at the bank". He will take credit cards or cash for boat hire.
Mikeyt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 4:11am
Hi there,
I have started using the 'My Travel Cash' card - it came recommended from the Money Saving Expert website as it has no ATM fees and 1% cash back. It's a Mastercard so it is accepted at the Tavernas and shops in AG Steph. Used to have the Monarch card but they started charging €1.25 for cash withdrawls  - No thanks, I like to get at my cash for free thanks. Take a look at the money saving expert website - they always have different deals for pre-paid holiday cards.
All the best
DaGreek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:38am
Jeanne, so Giannis is unlikely to be cashing travellers cheques this year. Usefull to know. At the same time Mikeyt's experience next week could well be usefull for those going a bit later, dependant on what happens in the next few weeks anyway. Good luck with your card Mikey.
Colin
Mikeyt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 5:29pm
Not had any trouble with getting cash from the ATM's in Kassiopi during the week 21st May 2012 - All well stocked with currency. 
Corfu Dreamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corfu Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 8:18pm
That's good.
Did you have a good time? Anything new to report from Ag Stephanos?
Corfu Dreamer
Mikeyt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 4:14pm
All the familiar faces are still around - business is still OKAY in Stephanos, lots of yachts still coming in. Of course it's leaner times for all, but Stephanos attracts a more discerning client that is prepared to choose the place because it delivers the holiday that they require and they will spend to get it. I prefer to eat and drink out so I frequent the bars and Tavernas. It may cost more, but I work hard all year for my holiday so I like to relax when I'm away. 
And I have already booked with Agni Travel to return next year - only 365 days to go.
DaGreek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:51pm
Well done Mikey, like your style!Cool
Colin
Dylanesque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylanesque Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 1:42pm
Hi how much are the small boats with steering wheel around 15-25hp? For a day and are there discounts for two or three days?
DaGreek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 12:08am
Hi Dylanesque, I'm sorry I can't tell you about boathire- I have never tried to hire one. I know Mikeyt has, but I suspect he has not spotted your post. I am sure someone will find you an answer soon.
Colin
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 6:18pm
Dlylanesque

I think prices range fro about 45 to 65 Euros per day, plus fuel - but you could get whatever information you need directly from the horse's mouth.  Contact Giannis on  "info(AT)giannisboats.gr"

Martyn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic