'
Forum Home Forum Home > Ionian Islands > Paxos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Bastas!!!

Paxos, Ionian Islands

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam23h Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bastas!!!
    Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 7:38am
Hi everyone,

Coming back to Paxos for 2 weeks this year, and staying in the Bastas.  Last year we had a fab villa in Gaios, but the prices of flights etc were so expensive this year, we have ended up booking with Olympic.  

Has anyone got any tips about Bastas, anything that you recommend we definitely need to take with us? I will be bringing the normal tea, coffee, toilet roll etc, but read somewhere that towels aren't provided and such, so was just wondering!!

Also, we are flying from Manchester, does anyone know what method of transfer Olympic have been using from Corfu for the Manchester Monday flight?

Does anyone know how we can get to Anti-Paxos from Bastas, can we get a ferry straight across or will we need to go to Gaios first.  And!!! Does anyone know if any other trips etc will be available this year, such as the caves etc..

Thanks
ElaineK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElaineK Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:58am
I'm afraid I can't help you with Bastas/Olympic, but I'm sure Tina and Shakespearstar will be along soon with all the info you need. 
However, there are 3 trips available this year from Paxos Thallasa -  http://paxos-holidays.gr/travel/index2.php?idField=8  .  They're based in Loggos, but I know that in previous years they've picked up passengers in Lakka as well.  The trip I'm particularly interested in is the sunset cruise.  They used to do it some years ago and it was highly recommended, but somehow we never got around to it.  They had to stop a few years ago, because Paxos Municipality weren't issuing licences to visit the small island of St Nicholas, but they seem to have it sorted out now, so I'm really looking forward to going on that one!
I wasn't lost - I was just taking an interesting detour!
Sam23h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam23h Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:04am
Oh thank you very much!! Those 3 trips look amazing, and luckily we have got 2 full weeks of Paxos fun in the sun so should be able to do them all!! Fingers crossed that they will be doing pick ups from Lakka, may give them an email to get all the details, am unbelievably excited to come back and have a lovely chill!!
Thank you again for your help!

Tina B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tina B Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:32am
Hello Elaine, I have just typed a long reply and the blinking computer said there was a problem and I lost it before I pressed send!!! We'll see about you getting out of Loggos this year??

Sam, what month are you there, you may bump into someone from here?

We stayed for 4 nights last year and got bath and hand towels, and Mum allways does, but I have read that they didn't at one time? Helen maybe able to help with that. I take a china mug filled with sponge and jcloth and travel washup liquid, wrapped in a tea towel. Also vanish soap bar for when I do my mis hols stamping in the shower beach towel wash, and when my 2 messy lot can't find their mouths with oil and sauce! Or, better still take them to Sisters washing machineSmile

The studios are as described, basic old style Greek self catering. They do have a BabyBelling 2 ring stove and cooker with grill, but not the equipment or space to make a gourmet meal. Who wants to do lots of cooking on holiday anyway? Top tip fill the coffee pan with water and onto boil(saucer on top) as you start your shower. It will be boiling with enough for 2 cups when you finish! 

No problem with getting bread and all foods in Lakka. One shop does stay open in the day and Sundays for most essentials.

Recently Olympic have used the hydrofoils more sensibly taking into account your departure and arrival times, even used sea taxis so you get there the following morning if a night flight. Don't know if it helped that the rep had lived on the island for a few years?

You can't get to AntiPaxos direct, it means a bus trip into Gaios. The round island boat trips run from lakka too, chaeper to book direct in the village rather than via rep!  Also Parga trips in mid/peak season. Bastas family also have a taverna and salt water pool at Monadendri beach and provide a free minibus there and back each day. They are a lovely family with various siblings, Uncles, Cousins running both businesses.

For those who have been to Bastas before I have just heard that they have dug out the left hand side, as you face the entrance, to allow more space and light into those rooms. Though some customers prefer them in the hottest months. Also Tracey is repping for another company, so a new Lady, Sam.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Lakka too.
Sam23h View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:39am
Tina, 

Thank you so much for your reply! 
We head out on the 9th July - 23rd July and I literally cant wait!

OKk thats fab, I will maybe take a few spare just in case if I have the space left in my case! OK good tip on the soap bar, will give that a try.

You are right, holidays most certainly arent for cooking, Im more worried about being able to have a good cuppa and choccie biscuit ha!!! 

OK thats fab info about shops, my last trip was only 1 week so only visited Lakka once.  

Fingers and toes crossed its the hydrofoil, not looking forward to a long boat trip in the heat if thats what they put us on!!

Oh thats good about Parga trips, I was wondering if that would be a possibility!! I have heard about Monadendri beach, am excited to visit there, the taverna looks lovely!

That has made me alot happier, as Id read several reviews about rooms being dark and Im much more of a bright person!! Fingers crossed I get a nice bright room with a lovely view! (heres hoping anyway!)

Thanks again Tina.
ElaineK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElaineK Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:11am
You're there the same time as us Sam, so maybe we'll meet up on the sunset cruise - and yes Tina, I'm determined to get out of Loggos this year!  We did have a night out in Gaios last year, so that's not bad for 3 weeks Wink
I wasn't lost - I was just taking an interesting detour!
Annag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annag Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 2:06pm
Elaine, and anyone else who's tempted

The sunset cruise, if it includes the visit to the two islands off Gaios is certainly worth leaving Loggos (or Lakka for that matter) for. We've done it twice (2nd time accompanying some friends) and we really enjoyed it. It was good to see the 2 islands as we have been looking at them for years from Gaios. Lefcothea is a great guide, and also a good Greek dancing teacher! (We wondered why she was so free with the wine.)
Sue Hall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Hall Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 5:07pm
Hi Sam
You will have a fab time in Paxos. We have been there twice and just love it, but we are going to Corfu this year Agios Stephanos NE.
Have a great time
Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic