'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Buggy\Quad Bike In Corfu

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mokitro Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buggy\Quad Bike In Corfu
    Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 3:16pm
Is it recommended? Want to travel different parts of the island with my girlfriend. What's the cost?

Thanks. 
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:11am
This has been discussed many times before on the forum and is personal choice. They are not as much fun as they look as the helmets are hot and you need suitable clothing as the injuries are horrid if you come off. The engine is under your legs and becomes very hot and uncomfortable. If you are looking to go longer distances a small car, although boring, is so much more comfortable. Where are you staying as much of Corfu is very hilly which makes a quad very slow.
Beside the sea all worries wash away!!
Mokitro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mokitro Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:12pm
Thanks a lot for answering

I'll be located at Ipsos... want to know if its ok to travel from there with a quad bike to Paleokastritsa , port, old city.... 
Mokitro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:14pm
By the way Ii searched before but didn't find a lot.

http://www.agni.gr/holiday-forum/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20170619121340&KW=Quad
Deedee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deedee Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:24pm
Hi Mokitro

When I have looked at the price of quad bike hire in the past it has been almost on a par with small car hire.
Corfu is very hilly with lots of narrow winding roads with hair pin bends, even the main east coast road has its moments. Wherever you are staying and wherever you are going you will almost certainly find yourself going up hill during your journey. Ipsos itself is quite flat but you have to go uphill at either end to get out of Ipsos.
You might want to check your holiday insurance to see whether you are covered for quad bike hire. You may have to pay an extra premium to be covered and you may struggle to get cover.
As Sue says it is personal choice and only you can know what level of discomfort you are willing to accommodate. Cars have air conditioning!

Whatever form of transport you ultimately go for, I hope you and your girlfiend enjoy Corfu and wish you both a great holiday.

Deedee
Are we there yet?
We've been and come back but we're going again.
Joefish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joefish Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:55pm
Yep, it can be enjoyable, but best if your routes are straight and flat. Like maybe back and forth along the north coast; the route you're suggesting is not so good.

One big problem is the power to climb hills; a quad that has the power to get up hills is (a) more expensive than a small car and (b) will go far too fast on the flat and into bends to be safe for anything but an expert rider.

The second is cornering; most have a fixed rear axle (no differential like a car) which means on a dusty surface they're going to try and go straight ahead whichever way you point the front wheels. Around the twisting turns into Paleokastritsa you won't be able to see what's coming and you'll barely be able to make some of the turns, let alone swerve to avoid anything coming the other way, or get out of the way of a coach taking a wide turn itself.

Technically a UK car driving licence covers the class that quads are under so it's legal, but your holiday insurance flat out won't cover you. You'll need to buy additional insurance for health cover from somewhere that lists it as an option. I've used JS before, but even then I don't really know if it's meant to cover quads on the road or just as one-off sporting activities. At least you can save money by not needing to cover cancelled trips or lost luggage twice.

If you actually read the detailed terms, you'll find most policies nowadays won't even cover scooters abroad unless you have a motorbike licence, even though legally you don't actually need one.

At least most (if not all) rental places comply with the law and provide you with a third-party insurance policy for the rental period.
Joefish
Joefish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joefish Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:01pm
On the other hand, for what you want to do, the Green Buses are ideal. You're not far from Corfu town and they run back fairly late. If you get stranded, a taxi back will hardly break the bank. And nearby Dassia is actually on the end of the local town-area blue bus routes, which run even later.

Take the first bus into town in the morning and then the next one to Paleokastritsa. Remember to grab a copy of the timetable at the depot to check your journey back. It's about a 45 minute run between Paleo and the town, and maybe half an hour between Ipsos and the bus station.

And that's if you can't find a tour operator that simply runs a day coach to Paleo.
Joefish
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:43pm
You do need a CBS now to drive a motorbike or scooter even in the UK Joefish. The laws have changed dramatically.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:04pm
Ipsos to Paleo or Corfu Town is quite a trek on a quad. Why not hire one for a day and see how you enjoy it. Don't commit to longer initially unless of course you are used to Quads. Enjoy,be careful and be safe.
Mokitro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:19pm
Thanks a lot, Deedee!

We're going at the season's peak - 26.7 till 31.7. All cars-shops want at least 300 E for that time (automatic car), I reached out to some local rentals which take 200 E but they are all out of cars! 

300 E is a lot for us, when quads can be 150-200 E. 
Mokitro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:21pm
Thank you joefish! 
Mokitro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:23pm
Thank you Elliemay & Sue Avrio!

Joefish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Elliemay Elliemay wrote:

You do need a CBS now to drive a motorbike or scooter even in the UK Joefish. The laws have changed dramatically.

I know by the time I got my license it didn't automatically cover motorbikes any more, but I didn't know about the CBT for scooters. Thanks.
Joefish
Ellenjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellenjay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:04am
My local newspaper reported yesterday that a woman injured in a quad bike accident is stuck in Ioannina hospital because her insurance company excluded quad hiring from her travel insurance, so watch that one too.
I would go for a small car myself every time.
Argostoli in 12 weeks!
Mokitro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:19am
What about buggy? 
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:01pm
I always thought they were basically the same although a buggy is more for off-road. May be wrong though. Neither is great for the hills and bends. You may find it easier to hire a car once in Ipsos but you are limiting yourself if you can only drive auto. In all the years I have been going to Corfu I have only once had an automatic. 
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:04pm
You may wish to read this as the young lad had a serious accident on his first day of holiday in Corfu, no insurance so had to set up a Gofundme page to get him home.
https://www.gofundme.com/2fnc7hg.

Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Joefish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 5:36pm
Every year there's another one makes the news from riding around with no helmet and no medical cover to get them home.

Buggies are pretty impractical - there's nowhere to actually take them off-road, and they suffer the same under-steering problems as quads when on the road, but bigger. The frame offers a bit more protection in a collision but only if wearing the harness-like seat-belt, and you'll want a helmet anyway to protect you should you bash your head against the frame!
Joefish
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 4:34pm
Yet another that did not check whether they were covered by their holiday insurance. Please folks we are not trying to alarm you, but if you are hiring a quad, wear your helmet and check that your travel insurance covers you.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4617722/British-gran-52-coma-quad-bike-crash-Greece.html

Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Gerry P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry P Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:43pm
I was told by Steve Ford (Corfu Villages) when I saw him last month that you can hire a 50cc automatic scooter with only a full driving licence and do not need a CBT? Can someone please confirm! I'm due in Petriti/Messonghi 15th August for 7 days.
Thanks
Petriti boy
Petriti Boy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic