'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

The Durrells

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janpan Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Durrells
    Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 12:21pm
ITV have made a six part series based on Gerald Durrell's triology of his childhood on Corfu and is due to be broadcast soon. It was apparently filmed on Corfu in September 2015. Did anyone see any of the filming?
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 12:37pm
Looks good from the snippets shown on facebookThumbs Up

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/keeley-hawes-leads-cast-new-itv-drama-durrells
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Janpan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janpan Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 12:46pm
Yes it does, can't wait.
Pam Ella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam Ella Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 4:52pm
Apparently, two of the lovely donkeys from Donkey Rescue appear in it. I hope they were paid a good sum for being 'extras' !

Pam...
Life's a beach and mine's in Corfu
ElaineK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElaineK Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 11:05am
They don't seem to have announced a starting date for it yet. I'm off on holiday for two and a half weeks on Sunday, so I hope I don't miss the beginning!
I wasn't lost - I was just taking an interesting detour!
Pam Ella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pam Ella Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 11:31am
They say the first episode will be in April so you should not miss it Elaine.

Pam...
Life's a beach and mine's in Corfu
ElaineK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElaineK Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 11:33am
Thanks Pam
Holhil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holhil Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 2:53pm
This was advertised on ITV last night as "coming soon", so hopefully it is imminent
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 7:36pm
Told that it starts on western Easter Sunday.
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 10:14am
Yes, due to be aired Sunday April 3rd.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Sedgi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedgi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 5:58pm
Can someone tell me which channel please x
Love Life, Love Corfu!
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 9:17pm
ITV
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Mike1908 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike1908 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 12:09am
I just watched it tonight. It was very enjoyable.
Maysol50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maysol50 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 3:06am
Whereabouts in Corfu was it actually filmed?
Mossa View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mossa Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:54am
Only some parts were filmed in Corfu. Perhaps someone knows. Nice to see a programme without a lot of violence.
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 11:43am
To my knowledge, it was all filmed in Corfu. The crew were there for about 6 weeks late last year.
Halikounas was the lake (also known as Lake Korrison). Also spotted The Old Fortress, Varipades, Arillas, Kontakali to name but a few.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 12:16pm
House south of Corfu town just nip down to sunbath and give a priest a fag in Barbati a view out over the cliffs near Sidari. All a bit confusing.
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 12:45pm
They obviously had to use a bit of poetic licence as the series is set in the 1930's so they had to avoid the more modern areas.

Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Armin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armin Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by maysol50 maysol50 wrote:

Whereabouts in Corfu was it actually filmed?

The Durrells: Location Spotting:

I love location spotting and so this is what I have managed to piece together so far from episode 1 (including from comments on this forum). If anyone disagrees or has other ideas or knowledge please do contribute.

Note: I have been updating this description as other members identify places.

- In the scene where the Durrells are walking up a road having just arrived in Corfu, Mrs Durrell says "look I can see the village up ahead look" - The village they are looking at in the distance is Pelekas. The village they are just coming out of at the time is Varypatades just south east of Pelaekas (thank you Annie McGiggles Hawkins and Theresa Taberner (who lives there) for identifying). See photos now in comments below.

- After they leave Varypatades behind on the way to the guest house that the Durrells had booked into, they drive through a village. As they approach the guest house on the main street a man comes out on to the steps to great them. Spiros says “we don’t stay here, too expensive, lots of empty houses on the island" and they drive on by. That village is also Varypatades and the guest house is actually a church (see photos now in comments below). Thank you again to Theresa Taberna for identifying.

- Rock formations at Cape Drastis Perouloudes (Sidari) - (Mrs Durrell at cliff tops and sat against tree after asking her family why they are so vile). Thanks Jason Fisher for confirming location).

- The house used as the Durrells home is at Kontokali (confirmed by Mikey Rav who has been there many times)

- Shrine of St Arsenius (where Margo sunbathes on the rocks and is shouted at by the monk) is a short walk south from the White House at Kalami (where Larry really lived with his first wife Nancy). The Shrine was where Larry (in real life) and Nancy loved to swim (nice connection there).

Note: Boy those were powerful binoculars that Larry was using out of his bedroom window (in Kontokali), to be able to see Margo sunbathing so clearly all the way up the coast near Kalami)! LOL! „smile“-Emoticon

- The flamingos were at 2 places, Alikes Salt Flats (the flying shots) and Lake Korisson the bit where Theo and Gerry are pretending to be Flamingoes in the water (confirmed by Jason Fisher who discussed it with someone who took the film crew there to get the shots).

- According to Thomson.co. uk the stars of the show stayed at The Corfu Imperial Luxury Resort on the private peninsula in Kommeno Bay near Gouvia.

- The actual home the Durrells were living in when they left England was in in Wimborne Road, Bournemouth (near the town centre). However the house used for this TV series is located in Hurst Way, Croydon.
Just a foot note in case anyone is interested: When Mrs Durrell first came to the Bournemouth area from London in 1931, the first house she bought was Berridge House (a rambling victorian house) at 6 Spur Hill, Poole (a short distance from where I live now). Mrs Durrell had to sell the house for financial reasons and moved into a smaller house, Wimborne Road, Bournemouth. It was there that the decision to move to Corfu was made. When war broke out in 1939 Mrs Durrell came back to England and bought another home in Bournemouth. There is a very big Durrell connection in the Bournemouth area (as well as Corfu).

Originally posted on Facebook by David Downer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CorfuForum/permalink/1009323645811176/
ElaineK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 10:16am
A second series has been commissioned to start shooting in the summer, so that should mean plenty more opportunities for star spotting!

Link
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic