'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Kalami, Kouloura and Agni
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

My Week In Kalami

Kalami, Kouloura and Agni, Corfu

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzierob Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Week In Kalami
    Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 5:04pm
There appears to have been some interest and lets wait and see about Kalami, after a 15 year gap, I went back last week, and thought I would share my thoughts.
The main topic of conversation on here appears to have been the impact of the Asontis & Adonis or the San Antonio, depends on when you were last there. We stayed there last time, but this trip it was fully booked, we visited Cocktails and Dreams,(no name change or rebuild seen) Most people appear to be on the B/B option, and continued to eat out at night. Which is good for the restaurants. There was mutterings about a 70% drop in breakfasts being bought in the village. One local, told me that he has friends who had stayed at the A&A for 16 years, and this year went else where due to a £600 increase in price to what they normally have paid. (ouch)
We did see some evening meals being brought out of the restaurant to eat in the open air, I was just delighted that I didn't have to eat it. 
There was a lot of talk about, the new large villas around and the fact they don't eat in the restaurants as they hide in their villas with their personal chefs.
There is a new villa in the village, Villa Gregory, which is just over the bridge on the left on the front, before the White House, so the locals are intrigued, as to who owns it and are they going to shop and eat locally or not. Everything in Greece is going up, everything is going to have a 20% tax added next season, which could put 
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 11:37pm
Where have you got the information on a 20% tax and what on?
The taxes have already risen to 23% on many things, however the staple foods such as fruit, vegetables, flours, olive oil, dairy products, salt, fish, bread, pasta, most meats excluding beef, rice, water remain at 13%.

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2015/07/20/value-added-tax-on-fire-crazy-hikes-in-food-tourism/

Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 12:22am
The villa you mention is not new but a renovation of the original and still owned by the same family who are well known in the village. Personally I have come across very few people who visit with a private chef. Everyone is welcome to their own views but I think a lot of rumours are unfounded.
Beside the sea all worries wash away!!
Graham T-A View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham T-A Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:46pm
As Sue says, the villa mentioned is quite old and was one of only 3 buildings in Kalami when I first visited about 35 years ago. Still in the same family hands as it always has been. There are so many myths and rumours in Corfu that it's probably best as a tourist not to believe anything you hear. The only people I know who have private chefs have always done this, mostly people staying in the larger villas up the hill or places like the Agneli's in Kouloura and the Rothchild's place near Ag Steff.
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 6:18pm
I'm sure I have seen this topic post somewhere beforeWink
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Lins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lins Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 7:38pm
We stay in a large villa up the hill in Yialiskari and wouldn't dream of having a private chef. Eating out at all the tavernas is a big part of the holiday. Especially the ones you get to by water taxi. Love it. 
Deedee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deedee Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 7:50pm
Thanks Sue Avrio & Graham TA for the info re Villa Gregory. We noticed the changes to it when we visited Kalami during our very recent stay in Kassiopi. It seems to have undergone quite a refurbishment but still looked appropriate and inviting. I don't know why but it is somehow comforting to hear that it is still owned by the same family.

I understand there is no self catering at San Antonio Corfu whereas the A & A was all self catering so common sense suggests there would be a price increase. If the accommodation didn't increase the price to reflect the food provision the tour operator certainly would. We also visited Cocktails & Dreams one evening. It was quieter than we remembered. Be interesting to see what next year brings.

Deedee
Are we there yet?
We've been and come back but we're going again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic