'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Acharavi and Saint Spiridon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Old Perithea

Acharavi and Saint Spiridon, Corfu

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellic Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Perithea
    Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 6:46am
Is renting a car or bike the only way to get to Old Perithea?
(I outrule hiring a taxi since that would be still more expensive.)

Is there a way to get there by public bus? Where is closest bus station? Roda? Acharavi?

I have heard of a bus hired by a local community (not green bus) running between Loutses and Acharavi. Is it still in place? Is it running through summer (July, August)? At what times?

Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 11:05am
I don't know the details, but there is a green bus turn round point and bus shelter at the extreme end of Loutses, before you enter the wilder  mountain slopes.
However its a good old slog from there I would imagine. Most of the hillside villages have some sort of bus service, but invariably twice a day early morning (long before holidaymakers like to get up) and then late afternoon.
An alternative would be to get to Lafki Village above Acharavi, and walk to Ano Perithia through the quarry, it takes 11/2 to 2 hours. from Lafki.
We met some folk there last year who had walked from the coast the whole way, across country tracks, they pointed out their route across the hills, but my sense of direction is useless up there, so I couldn't tell you where it links up to.
Bob
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 5:43pm
I would not like to walk it to be honest, takes long enough to drive there

You would have to be a dedicated hill walker to attempt it

Even the nearest bus would take for ever  and if it was hot...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 6:46pm
As you say Susie H, I would'nt do it, but spending the whole of last summer up in the hills above Acharavi, and seldom going to the beach before about 5 pm, you would be ammazed at the number of walkers we encountered during the height of the day all over the place. We even met a party of German tourists in Petalia who had walked all the way from Acharavi who wanted to know where the track was to Nissaki, or alternatively Kassiopi. They had a guide book telling them they existed.
Bob.
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 8:44am
Bob

The track down to Nissaki starts at the foot of the final climb up to the top of Pantocrator and dives off to the right.  The track down to Kassiopi goes through Santa (I think!).

Personally, I favour a 4x4!
Martyn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 12:53pm
Yes Martyn we told them of the dirt roadways, but they insisted that they wanted the footpaths "That the Shepherds Use" ? From Petalia.  Raised a few eyebrows from the locals who suddenly did'nt understandWink
Bob
Orchard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orchard Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 1:15am
The walk is shorter than the drive up... is more direct. We usually cheat & start in Krinies... so if you can get to there is only another 5km on a lovely path through the trees.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic