'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Kassiopi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Great Holiday But...

Kassiopi, Corfu

Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davide Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Holiday But...
    Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 10:27am
Really enjoyed Kassiopi again after a break of 4 years. We stayed at the newly refurbished Melina Bay which was excellent. Its restaurant was second best to To Kyma just a hundred meters past it towards headland.

There were a few things that we found this time however, that are definitely not as good as our last visit.

First the main beach (I think its the main beach, the one behind Janis). It is a disgrace. Covered in old seaweed and litter, a few rusty sunbeds and at least 5 derelict, crumbling buildings backing directly onto it. This is the first impression visitors get approaching from the North and to be honest, if I was visiting without knowing the place, I would keep driving.

Second, the traffic using the cobbled road/walkway to the harbour. I am sure 90% of the traffic simply drive down to the harbour, turn around and drive back up the road. You cant use the "pavements" (small strip sectioned off by ugly plastic cones) due to cars and vans parking over them.

Third, other derelict properties on the road leading to Janis (parallel to the main beach). The old Coop is an eyesore and again, at least another 5 empty properties simply rotting away.

Finally, the number of East Europeans that have taken over the resort. The beaches past Kassiopi Bay were like a mini Moscow. I have nothing against Eastern Europeans but there are so many especially during the day. I am not sure where they go at night and a lot are wearing what look like all inclusive blue bands.

Anyways that's the negatives out of the way. It is still a good resort but definitely, the standard is slipping. I know there are a lot of Rose Tinted spec wearers on here that wont see or agree with these points but I am stating facts and not opinions.

D&D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 12:11pm
A bit harsh. We came home on 4 July after our 5th stay in Kassiopi (9th in the general area) over 10 years. Yes, Kalamionas beach is shabby, but the sea is lovely to swim in and views are beautiful. I would describe the buildings here and on the street from the square as vacant rather that derelict.

I wasn't aware that British tourists had sole rights to Kassiopi - lighten up about tourists from other countries; their money helps the locals as much as ours.

Traffic on the cobbled strip is a pain, but to be fair, most culprits are locals...

On the contrary, I think Kassiopi has become smarter in recent years, with the beautiful new hotel transforming the harbour, and a classy new restaurant at Tavernaki. Yes, there are a few things I would love to see the back of (in particular, that tacky "Little Britain" sign outside Bolero drives me bonkers!), but I still rate Kassiopi as a great little place.
WeeMinx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeMinx Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 1:02pm
Just back on 6th July, holidaying between Kalami and Kassiopi and as usual, had a fabulous time.  Yes, some things have changed but that's just life.

I have holidayed in several different placed in my life time and can honestly say there are many more worse places to spend a fortnight than Kassiopi.

I always feel you return to see friends and not just places and will certainly return at some point next year.

Good luck to all the Greek people at the moment, I wish them well, yammas, Annie
Once seen, never forgotten!
HelenS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelenS Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 1:58pm

We don't stay in Kassiopi but always visit for the day and we were there last week and felt that it was more upmarket and modern than previous years. The harbour area is lovely and the new hotel certainly makes a difference it was very sad to see it previously when it had closed down, we also felt that it was busier as is Paleokastritsa where we stay which is great for the Greek people and hope that this will help them during these difficult times. As for Eastern Europeans they have been coming to Paleo for many years now and we have met some lovely people, long may they continue to visit Corfu.
Helen
DaveF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveF Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by D&D D&D wrote:

A bit harsh...Kalamionas beach is shabby, but the sea is lovely to swim in and views are beautiful. I would describe the buildings here and on the street from the square as vacant rather that derelict...but I still rate Kassiopi as a great little place.

Back in June the beach looked OK but the financial climate will mean there is less money to do things like clean the beach after a storm.

Yes there are a few buildings in need of TLC but in general I found that the village itself did appear more 'upmarket' with some new Boutiques etc. etc.

So money has been spent, look at Don's new venture 'Taverna Levande' being one example and the pool behind which is now empty and clean after years of being a real eyesore.

Kassiopi is still holding it's own in the current economic climate and long may it do so.
Sillygoose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 9:51pm
I always find it funny when you go to Aqualand for the day and people watch, it seems to be mostly occupied by East Europeans, Russians and other many Mediterraneans. You can spot the odd Brits easily, paler, fatter and more tattoos. (I am sure I stick out the same). They probably tut-tut that the Brits lower the class of the place!

Werangels View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werangels Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 1:17am
My opinion and that is all it is... is that in general Kassiopi looks a lot healthier than it did a couple of years ago, particularly on the harbour ie, the Melina Bay has given the area a more upmarket feel and Fillipos increased number of very nice speed boats for instance. However, I have to agree that the view from the North around the beach is shoddy and rundown and would put off visitors from other resorts who arrive in that direction turning left into the village which is a great shame.

First impressions mean everything and most people make up their minds very quickly.
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 7:38pm
Davide. I have passed on your comments to the locals and they have said your are welcome any time to come and have a chat.
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Davide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davide Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 3:01pm
So Daveyboy I guess that you are a wearer of these rose tinted specs. I said it was my opinion but facts are facts. The main beach is run down. The street behind has a lot of empty properties. Is that right or wrong? Last time I was there I thought the place had a better look about it. If broken glass and rusty metal is attractive to some people then I stand corrected.

I am sure that some people will log on to this site to get a balanced view on all of the resorts. That's what I am trying to give. It was still a good holiday.

D&D I have mixed with tourists from a lot of countries having been lucky enough to visit a lot of places over the past few years. I never said anything detrimental about Eastern European tourists. I pointed out that there are more than 4-5 years ago and in fact I heard that the Kassiopi Bay was under the control of a Russian tour operator.

I don't mind debating these points with anyone including the locals.

Lily's Gran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily's Gran Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 11:00am
We stayed in Kassiopi for the first time in May/June and loved the harbour area and Solaris where we stayed, but the main beach was very disappointing. In fact so bad that there were no sun beds and it was covered in seaweed. There was no way you could sit on it or swim from it. I know it was early in the season, however Kassiopi was very busy and we weren't the only ones to view the beach with dismay. Back to Kalami next year.
and Charlie, Nia and Daniel's Gran too
GRYFFENDOR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRYFFENDOR Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:21pm
Wouldn't it be a good idea that, instead of holidaymakers complaining about the state of the beach, realising the financial state Greece is in at the moment, they mucked in and helped clear it up. All well and good moaning about it. You would probably muck in if it was your street or park that suffered because of council cutbacks if it bothered you that much.
Deedee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deedee Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 3:28pm

No, I don’t believe it would be a good idea.  There has not been a horrific natural disaster or an unusual event to create an inability to maintain the beach.  Beach maintenance should be a basic necessity for all coastal tourism destinations.

What would be next – visitors expected to maintain the accommodation they have paid to stay in?

Yes, I probably would do something if cutbacks affected my street but then I live there and an unmaintained street would adversely affect my everyday life.  I wouldn’t expect my visitors to do anything though, especially if they’d paid to visit.

Holidays are a break from everyday life.  I don’t go on holiday to do chores.  I may do a little light laundry by hand, I might cook an occasional meal if we don’t want to eat out and I keep our accommodation tidy but that’s as far as I want to go when I’m on holiday.  I imagine that’s as far as most holidaymakers would want to go.

We were disappointed with the frequency of cleaning at our accommodation last year, this year we are staying somewhere else.  If first time visitors find poor standards and basic amenities lacking they will not return.  If standards keep slipping and the regular visitors to Kassiopi  just accept that then things will not improve, they will get worse. 

Davide said that he really enjoyed his holiday in Kassiopi (a lot of responders seem to have missed that) but that he noted some deterioriation since his last visit and that there is room for improvement.  Derelict buildings in Kassiopi are not an opinion, they are, unfortunately, a fact.  Lily's Gran said they liked the harbour area and their apartments but were disappointed with the cleanliness of the beach.  The seaweed covered beach was not an opinion, it was a fact and it would have been off putting to me never mind people with children. 

We are bringing friends to Kassiopi in September.  One of them is a first timer, I hope he is not disappointed.

Deedee
Are we there yet?
We've been and come back but we're going again.
Werangels View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werangels Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 9:04pm
Well said Deedee Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 11:41pm
I thought GRYFFENDOR was joking in some way... but they were not?

I work my guts inside out all year and with the kids places too it takes a fair bit of my money to afford a decent well earned holiday. I expect to NOT work, to relax and indeed be pampered to a degree. The idea of cleaning the beach during that time is astonishing. Even people in prison are not made to do hard labour any more, let alone pay a fortune for the pleasure of doing so!

During my stay I will bring and spend a small fortune in Kassiopi, I expect it to be as nice as they can manage to make it.

That said I do quite like the easy going slightly run-down nature of Greek life generally anyway, working in a world of very high technical precision and rules I do all year its tiresome, a bit of chaos is a welcome relief!
Boskat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boskat Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 12:00am
Well said you too Sillygoose. I too like the ambiance and let's face it the Greeks are not us and have different priorities. Their hospitality and their welcome doesn't change even in the face of adversity. Let it continue!
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 2:49am
Originally posted by boskat boskat wrote:

Well said you too Sillygoose. I too like the ambiance and let's face it the Greeks are not us and have different priorities. Their hospitality and their welcome doesn't change even in the face of adversity. Let it continue!

Thank you.

Like last year, my rental car got a buckled wheel in a notorious Corfu pothole. Took it to the rental office who just said take it down the road, I will give them a call. Left the wheel with the mechanic and picked it up the next day all straightened up, tyre sorted and refitted to the car with a friendly smile, all for 18 euros!

Can you imagine in the UK in one from any typical rental company? they would bill you for a whole new wheel and tyre + admin and markup and I bet £250 would come off your credit card.

Its too bloomin hot to do anything more than really needs doing there!
Violator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Violator Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 7:56pm
The last two visits we've had to Kass we stayed at Theofolis on that stretch, the water is ok but the beach isn't that great, and if it wasn't for Venus, that part of the village would look like it had been abandoned.

Tony
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 11:33pm
Things are not great in Corfu at the moment and I am not sure first time visitors would see the attraction and affection many people have for the place. Rubbish collections are a little hit and miss and we are having problems with water supply in Kalami. I drove through Kassiopi recently and tried to look at the area as a newcomer and yes the town has improved greatly but the beach area is definitely looking very shoddy and unloved. I was hoping to eat in To Kyma but the rubbish bins next door were overflowing and smelly which put me off. Very sad and hopefully things will slowly start to improve.
Beside the sea all worries wash away!!
Corfu Dreamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corfu Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 3:30pm
That's really sad to hear. We were there at the beginning of the month and although there were occasional overflowing bins they were generally being emptied, and no signs of other problems. There were certainly loads of water lorries delivering at the time. 
Corfu Dreamer
NatalieDonnan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NatalieDonnan Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 4:49pm
We're just back from Kassiopi and agree the main square/street and harbour areas are much better looking than when we last visited in 2010.  However Kalimonias beach and some of the side streets/vacant buildings are shabby looking.  We saw bins all over the island overflowing at the sides of the roads.  We met up with a friend who lives on the island and she brought the issue up to us about how they are having problems with bins being emptied and the streets of Corfu Town being dusty and dirty which is unusual.  It is disappointing to see and we hope they gain control of whatever issues with the council or whoever is in charge so that a beautiful island does not become shabby.

We encountered a lot more Eastern European tourists this time around but did not have any issue with any of them or in fact any fellow tourists of any nationality.

It is still a beautiful island and very special in our hearts and I hope it remains that way.

Natalie x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic