'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shortages

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tone C Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shortages
    Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 4:43pm
Okay, I'm sure it's scaremongering by the British press (I use the term loosely, this was in the Sun yesterday) anyway there was an article in the paper yesterday claiming that Corfu and Crete are running short of various medications and that hotels only have 10 days or food left.

Any one give us any indication how correct this is please? It does sound a bit 'off' to me, however we are coming back to Corfu for the 8th or something time now on Monday and can bring stuff with us if needs be? Roda again.

Any thing we need to be aware of to bring that we wouldn't normally? You can still get water,wine and song okay?
Flynnmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flynnmo Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 7:18pm
I wouldn't know about medications, I always take my own with me. As far as anything else, my friends on Corfu assure me nothing has changed. Supermarkets are fully stocked, garages have petrol, ATM's are working, and the Greek welcome is as warm as ever. We only came home two weeks ago and will be heading back over there in eight weeks. Saw no difference, except if anything it was a little cheaper due to the high exchange rate. Don't believe the rubbish you read in the papers. Go and enjoy yourself, they need our support.
P.S. Water, wine and song in abundance!
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 11:48pm
Bring a few more euros than usual as demand on ATMs high so occasionally run out - and Greece is a cash society.
Doubt if a visitor would even have a clue that there is a 'crisis' all working well, tavernas and bars full - and a good time is had by all.
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 12:26am
Do not rely on the press. All supermarkets are  fully stocked. The ATM's do run out of money but are refilled pretty quickly. As for prescriptions, do you need them available to buy there for a couple of weeks holiday?

Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Tone C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tone C Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 9:32am
Yup,we need the meds but will be bringing those anyway. We planned on brining extra cash as has been suggested in the press (not the Sun!Proper papers!)

Cheers folks. We have no intention of cancelling so just wondered if there was anything extra we needed to bring. Sorted.SmileThumbs Up
ElaineK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElaineK Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:11pm
We've just done the last big weekly shop of our holiday on Paxos and the supermarket shelves were fully stocked with all the usual packets, tins and jars and there was abundant fresh fruit & veg, milk, yogurts, cheeses, etc - all with decent sell-by dates, so no problems here! The only slight difference I've noticed is that shops and bars seem a bit shorter than usual of loose change, so instead of letting it accumulate on the kitchen table I've been producing handfuls of coins when making small purchases and letting them take what they want and give me notes back.
I wasn't lost - I was just taking an interesting detour!
Wirralite View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wirralite Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 2:15pm
I have just returnedCry from a week in Paxos and a week in Dassia Corfu and I can confirm we had no problems at all with anything. The people were there lovely kind and welcoming selves that will never change. We had a fantastic time in both places and wish I was there right now, first day back a work is never good!!! Just go and enjoy your holiday nothing to be concerned about.Smile
Tone C View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 12:12pm
Cheers guys n girls.x
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic