'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Roads In Corfu

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wee Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roads In Corfu
    Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 4:49pm
We am coming to Corfu for a holiday as I have done before for 1 month sailing. We plan this time to hire a bike for a week to go to the west east north. But I have been told some of the roads are bad with potholes and can be dangerous.  Is it difficult?

Razaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razaker Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 4:58pm
Where abouts do you know your heading on the bike? The roads in general treated with care are ok
The only differance between me and a madman ;is im not mad,
The Old One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Old One Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 5:11pm
I agree with Razaker, have been out and about in the north west San Steph through to Paleo and Sidari the other way on a quad bike and if you take care the roads are ok.
Once Bitten, Never Forgoten,Romanza
here we come.July 6th 2015
Wee Eddie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wee Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 5:23pm
Thanks. Well, the plan is Gouvia up to Kassioppi, old Perithia, then west coast and down and across to Gouvia over a week staying here and there.  We hope to look at some small houses also to to buy and so my question originally was about buying. My new wife is a history teacher and we are sailing to some nearby  islands with history as Jan suggested but never thanked her help. But how are the roads to ride a hired bike?

Trisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trisa Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 2:51am
At the moment many of the roads aren't good but most of the potholes will be filled before the season starts. Just take care! 
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 3:54am
Originally posted by Wee Eddie Wee Eddie wrote:

We am coming to Corfu for a holiday as I have done before for 1 month sailing. We plan this time to hire a bike for a week to go to the west east north. But I have been told some of the roads are bad with potholes and can be dangerous.  Is it difficult?

Remember to take a full bike licence with you or you will be limited to what cc you can hire as I have found in the past. Getting down to the beaches is ok but there are some steep hills on the way back and with a smaller cc you will struggle. Have a great time and drive safe,
Davyboy.
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Maggy View Drop Down

Forum Storyteller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maggy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 5:16am
Try and avoid puddles after it's rained, as they might not be what they appear to be!
They could be pot holes filled with rain water---it's hard to tell unless you drive through themThumbs Down
Agni View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agni Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:15am
Maggy, that is always my greatest fear!
Kevessex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevessex Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 4:51pm
We have generally found the roads to be in reasonable condition, as always travel with care and keep eyes on the road, very difficult I know when you are surrounded by the beautiful Corfu countryside etc!

At the moment, I would think Corfu roads are much better than UK roads, especially here in Essex .
kev
C4owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C4owner Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 3:40am
The main problems arise when it rains after a long dry spell. The rubber deposits left on the roads by cars etc. become very slippy for 2 wheel riders.

You just need to be aware and take care on the hairpin bends
Kassiopi Fan
Puddies1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puddies1 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 5:17am
I will never forget bringing the hire van over & it felt like sheet ice, apparantly it was olives but for me it was lethal!! Sue x
HE MAY NOT KNOW IT BUT MY ANIMALS COME FIRST!
DAVID1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVID1 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 5:48am
Yes it's true that care is required especially after heavy rain if you are driving through the vicinity of Olive groves. Otherwise I think the standard of roads on Corfu is pretty good although I'm well aware there are exceptions to the rule!! Ermm 

David
This is My FAVOURITE Website!!

Missing Corfu!
Gerry P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry P Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:20am
I remember once a long time ago we were comming from Petriti to Messonghi coast road before it was tarmacked on Honda 90's after a heavy rain shower boy it was "fun" slipping an sliding!! Legs coverd in mud
Gerry
Petriti Boy
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 9:03am
Having ridden my own bike on Corfu (a few years ago, admittedly) I think that it's fair to say that the main roads aren't too bad - just keep an eye open for potholes.  One you get up into the mountains, things can deteriorate - so take care.

You may also find that some of the road surfaces are quite worn - no potholes, but just not offering the level of grip that you might be used to - I found the front end of the BMW drifting wide on some of the bends for just this reason.

Others have mentioned wet roads/rain and with good reason olive oil and water do not mix!

I would also recomment that you thoughoughly check the bike over before taking out - just to ensure that it has been properly maintained.

Martyn

PS - if you need any tips on sailing around the islands, let me know - I've been doing it for years.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic