'
Forum Home Forum Home > Ionian Islands > Paxos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Honeymoon In Paxos

Paxos, Ionian Islands

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clareski Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honeymoon In Paxos
    Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 4:18pm
Hi everyone, hope someone can give me some advice.  I have posted similar on the Corfu forum on TA, but posting here too - hope thats OK.

I am planning my honeymoon for end of May/beginning of June this year.  We have decided on Corfu and Paxos, with maybe a couple of days in Italy first.

Looking to get to Corfu on 24th May, spend a couple of days in Corfu Town, then come across to Paxos for 5 days, then back over to Corfu and maybe to Roda for last few days.  Nothing set in stone yet, apart from flight from Corfu to UK on 4th June.

My main questions are:

What day of the week is the best to travel, or does this not matter?
What resort would be best for us - we enjoy walking and cycling, local culture, good food etc
Is there much in the way of entertainment in the evenings ie live music?
Is there anywhere to hire bikes, or is it not suitable for cycling?

I will also be looking at recommendations for accommodation.  We are not bothered whether it is hotel or apartment or b&b, as long as it is clean and welcoming (tho as it is our honeymoon we dont want anything too basic).  We prefer to eat out in the evenings.

Sorry about the long post, hope someone can give us some tips.
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nardine Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 5:26pm
Hi Clareski

You should be able to get over any day you like, Monday is the busiest day. I stay in Lakka, it's the middle sized village out of the three.
There is not really any entertainment at night in Lakka, apparently there's a bar in Loggos where you might get some impromptu music from the locals, I think there are a couple of slightly livelier bars in Gaios but no nightclubs as far as I'm aware.
There are a lot of places to chose from to stay, two hotels in Gaios, lots of villa's and apartments to rent and a couple of apart-hotels. I stay in The Bastas in Lakka, it's a nice place with a pool & bar and a daily minibus to take you to the family taverna at Manadendri beach however it is quite basic and only bookable through Olympic Holidays.
Have a look on the Routsis website they have a lot of property in Lakka and are very very helpful.
Can't comment on cycle hire I'm afraid. All of the resorts are good for walking etc, most of us on here like Lakka or Loggos.
I'm doing something similar this year earlier in May as it happens, staying at Aquis Mon Repos in Corfu town for a few days then on to Paxos for a week. Paxos is such a lovely place I guarantee you'll want to stay for more than 5 days and you'll be back
3 'o'clock is always to late or too early for anything you want to do - Jean Paul Sartre
Holiday Countdown:Nardine has less than 2 weeks to go!! (That's in just 480 hours!)
Clareski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clareski Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 6:37pm
Thanks Nardine, thats really helpful.  I have phoned Olympic to see how much it would be for 5 nights at The Bastas, they only quote for 7 nights but you can stay for 5 for the same price.  The only thing that puts me off is the pictures on Trip Advisor, the beds and pillows look awful!!  Hopefully this was a one-off.

I assume that if we stay in Lakka, it is a cheap taxi journey to Gaios if we wanted a livelier night (not bothered about clubs).

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 6:51pm
I would look at Loggos, absolutely lovely and equidistant between Gaios and Lakka. Look at ionianvillas. co. uk- they are Paxos experts.
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 8:43pm
Have a look to see what Agni Travel offer.

http://www.agnitravel.com/travel/Paxos/
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nardine Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 9:12pm
Yeah as I said The Bastas is pretty basic but we don't use the room for much more than sleeping & showering you probably would want something nicer for your honeymoon.
You can book room only for Bastas, don't know if you can just book 5 days that way??
Think taxis are generally about 20euro to Gaios. But beware of Paxositis! Once you get there all your best intentions can fall by the wayside, sitting at Romantica bar, Mandi's bar or others around the harbour for a sundowner can be gravitational.
There are plenty of websites to check out offering various accommodation, personally I rate Routsis due to the varying range if properties to suit all budgets, in particular Andrikos apartments in Lakka look beautiful. Happy hunting.
3 'o'clock is always to late or too early for anything you want to do - Jean Paul Sartre
Holiday Countdown:Nardine has less than 2 weeks to go!! (That's in just 480 hours!)
Mannag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mannag Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 4:39pm
There is an island website with lots of info and lists of travel agents, off the top of my head try Planos, Thalassa, Travel a la Carte. I think bike hire does exist and at that time of the year it won't be too hot. Many people hire small motor boats and go to beaches that it is hard to reach any other way, lovely if you are honeymooning.
Tina B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tina B Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 11:18pm
A short but not too steep walk up from Lakka are Kanoni Beach apartments and you are not restricted to days etc. Stayed there last year, owned by one of the bar families. Very clean and well equipped with a good view of the bay. New mall pool added last year. All 2/3 beds and range from studio to larger with separate bedroom. Sharon and Touli look after you so well and they can arrange transfers too, plus car hire. They are on owners direct. Andrikos are lovely ones too, part of the Routsis family. Routsis have some new places added this year and there are a couple of videos of a couple. Transfers arranged also.
Clareski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 10:48pm
Thanks everyone, we have booked a private apartment in Gaios - thought this may be the best location for our first visit so we can explore other parts of the island and maybe take a trip to Antipaxos.

Any tips on tavernas, bars, must see and do things etc would be really appreciated!!!
JeffB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeffB Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 5:59pm
Hi Clareski
An absolute MUST is to hire a boat for at least a day and explore the island. It is easy to go round in a day with plenty of time for stopping off in the various coves and inlets for swimming and lazing. Most of the large caves are safe to take small boats into and the sights as you emerge back into the blue are stunning. Too fast and you will be home before lunch! Its only 16 miles circumnavigation, with detours into all of the bays. It also gives you an idea of the other two harbours to plan your evenings (or next trip!)
You can also easily go to Anti Paxos on your own in the same boat - but you may wish to simply use the shuttle. The benefit of the former is you can moor up in a quieter bay before choosing one of the two sandy bays for lunch. We prefer the second bay, Voutoumi and I assure you, the climb up the steps to the Bella Vista for a bite and drink is well worth the effort. I don't think the Express boats from Gaios drop you on this one but I could be wrong.
We don't stay in Gaios so only see it occasionally in the day when its hot and 'busy' and have only been one evening when it seemed very quiet - but suspect it was a one off. Certainly, take a taxi to Loggos and/or Lakka one evening if you get time - they are both relatively small but a great buzz around the tavernas and great for people watching.
Those who know Gaios well will be along soon to share their ideas I am sure, just chill and relax
I would also say, visit Mogonissi - and have lunch at Carnayo Gold - don't bother with the menu, just ask what they suggest, lots off 'small' plates with a difference. Just tell Dimitris when to STOP
Enjoy your Honeymoon in paradise
You will either love it or hate it, and if the love gets to you, you will definitely be back!
Jeff   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic