'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Corfu In May

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanieb42 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corfu In May
    Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:55am
My husband and I are thinking about visiting Corfu in May. We have both been there many years ago and have always talked about going back together. I stayed in Paleokastritsa and I am not sure where he stayed, but we both agreed it is one of the most beautiful spots we have seen. We would like to be in a quiet area with gorgeous beaches, good food and beautiful scenery. I have read recently that Corfu has many wasps and mosquitoes and although I don't remember that, this would be an issue now as I am allergic to wasps. I am assuming they would be a problem in the summer months but hopefully not in May.  Please advise.
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 10:19am
Should be fine in May.
Flynnmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flynnmo Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 11:37am
Wasp problem usually worse August/September, should be fine in May. You could have a look at Arillas or San Stefanos N.W. Both are small resorts, with beautiful sandy beaches. Livelier Sidari is only 15 minutes away if you fancied a change. Honestly, almost anywhere you go in Corfu will have beautiful views. We've been going for 26/27 years, twice a year, and never tire of it. Still finding new places to visit. Good luck.  Moyra
P.S. Mosquitos can be a problem, but bring plenty repellant, preferably containing DEET, and hopefully you'll be fine. The fireflies are also out in May and are magical to see!!

MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:49pm

As Flynnmo says, mosquitos are always a problem (particularly at dusk) so be prepared. During May, any wasps that are around are most likely to be queens looking for nesting sites.

On the plus side, if the weather is warm, you will get to see fireflies in the olive groves!

Martyn
Weststekker View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Weststekker Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 4:15pm
 May is a beautiful time to visit the island but be prepared for chilly evenings. The mountainsides will be cloaked with fresh greens and the yellow of the Spanish broom. In the olive groves and along quiet paths the fireflies are a sight to behold.
  It should be remembered that early in the season the KTEL Green Bus service offers a restricted service if you wish to visit other resorts using it. A quiet resort with plenty of good eating places, sandy beach and good bus connections, my suggestion would be Agios Gordios on the west coast. I have visited there on 3 occasions over the years and it is magical.

Yammas, Colin.
Your Wish is my Command Master.
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 11:27am
Wasps are most aggressive from August to October.
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Kinninviekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 11:54am
Wasps are not aggressive.
People make them aggressive by waving their arms about at them.
Wasps dont sting without a reason, simply ignore them and you wont have a problem.
Bob n Rosey
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 12:03pm
A few facts about Wasps

•Fact One - Wasps are not bees.
•Fact Two - Wasps can create a nest out of wood or mud where bees make their nests from honey.
•Fact Three - Wasps are most aggressive from August to October.
•Fact Four - They eat insects, food and rubbish.
•Fact Five - Wasps become inactive at night.
•Fact Six - They are normally found in their nest.
•Fact Seven - They are very sensitive to light.
•Fact Eight - They eat caterpillars.
•Fact Nine - Male wasps don't have a stinger.
•Fact Ten - Females have the stinger and it is also their sex organ.
•Fact Eleven - Females protect the nest.
•Fact Twelve - Not all female wasps are fertile.
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 2:17pm
I have to disagree, wasps do sting without a reason.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Graham T-A View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham T-A Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:31am
They most certainly do sting without any reason. Never known this in the UK but common in Corfu.
Lindybell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lindybell Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 6:06pm
I was bitten in June, just sitting on the beach, granted I did probably have a bottle of coke cola near by... my own fault in a way. But still not nice to have a wasp sting....   OUCH!
I just love that Corfu feeling!
Mistert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mistert Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:47pm
I'm retired now but when I worked, (outdoors) one summer I got stung a total of six! times one of them just inside my mouth as I was drinking a can of pop. But, touch wood I have been to Corfu 12 times now and have never been stung whilst there, bitten by mozzies definitely but mostly during late summer not May. I have posted today an idea I read on: AOL; lemon washing up liquid in a bowl acts as a pretty efficient deterrent.
Frank
Frank
Joefish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joefish Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:03pm
When I was in Paleo in early September a few years ago you just couldn't eat outdoors during daylight hours for the wasps.  They get old at that time of year and go for anything sugary or fatty, and will blindly sting at anything that disturbs them.  You just had to take your lunch back to your room and only try the restaurants after dark.

Wasps aren't aggressive and are mostly useful; it's just in old age at the end of the season they become an intrusive pest and easily irritated into stinging.
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 4:35pm
For wasps just ask taverna owner to put a dish of burning Greek coffee powder on your table- wasps disappear as if by magic!   Buy your own to use on balconies- but it only works with Greek coffee.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic