'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Acharavi and Saint Spiridon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holiday Report

Acharavi and Saint Spiridon, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJJW Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holiday Report
    Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 4:47pm

So, we returned from our 2 week break in Acharavi last week and I’ve just about recovered enough to get round to

posting this little ditty. It was quite difficult this year as our youngest daughter, Seren, has decided to go from crawling to running. No in between, so keeping an eye on her was a challenge!

Firstly, we have now been to Corfu every year since 1996 (bar one) and to a certain extent you wonder if it will be your last (will you still find the place interesting, things to do etc), and I can confirm that we left the island with heavy hearts and a feeling that we couldn’t wait for our next visit!

We hired a car from the airport as per usual, and so we were able to explore areas of the island (I couldn’t sit by a beach/pool all day).

So, a few of the places we visited are below (apologies for spelling):

Kalamaki beach (great for the kids)

Roda

Arillas

Agios Stephonas

Krini

Paleo

Gouvia

Ipsos

Ropa Valley

Corfu Town

Kassiopi

New Perithia

Doukades

Barbati

Hydropolis

Plus a few days by the pool and on Acharavi beach

Now my favourite bit of the holiday is always meal times!

We had some truly amazing meals and I have included a few below:

Three Brothers Astakeria – What a find this place is. All fresh and amazing fish. Very reasonable prices too. Run by twin brothers with their mother cooking. Very small menu, but I would recommend simply taking whatever special dishes they have prepared that day. We had grilled sardines, zucchini, and shark with red wine sauce. It was heaven!

To Kyma Kassiopi – Been meaning to try this place for a couple of years. It oozes class

and the food and service were top notch. Beautiful setting too.

Binilikia Acharavi – Went for the Greek night on the Friday. Great entertainment, hospitality

and the food was fantastic. Ordered too much! Was that good we did the Greek night twice!

Alegria Acharavi – A great new place in the town. Such a selection of varied dishes, really fresh

and great value.

Immerolia Taverna – We lunched here one day and ordered a few starters to share between

us all. Great views, brilliant food, and efficient service.

Faros Acharavi – Great location on the beach and a cracking meze was shared by all. Very friendly hosts too.

Woodys Acharavi – Have to admit to being a snob about this place for a few years. However, my wife convinced me to eat here a few years back and I was wrong! Again, really good location, very friendly hosts, and I would recommend the lamb kleftiko.

Roda Park – Always a friendly welcome in such a busy place and massive menu. We ordered the fish platter for two which was huge and good value for money. My only small gripe is that it’s that busy you do feel rushed at times. Really nice food though.

Gelatis New Perithia – Amazing value, with free pita bread and dip starters, free water and a complimentary ice cream to finish with. We always order lots of starters here, a salad and some chicken souvlaki. The hosts are always welcoming and have time for you. It really is a joy to go back here year on year.

And of course we dined at various grill rooms in Acharavi too. Still can’t believe the quality of food you get from these places for such a low price!

We also had quite a few croissants and coffees in the bakery over the road from the Adonis. What friendly people they are and we even ordered our daughter’s birthday cake from there which was delicious. A great place to people watch too if you are nosey.

As for drinks out, well we always love our time in the Orpheus and Lakis and his family are great hosts. The Adonis was great for an early/late drink. The Mythos bar was very laid back and a very friendly host. But, my find of the holiday and great place to have a chilled out tipple was Jon Banos new bar “the Boathouse” in Roda. He’s obviously spent a lot of time, effort and money on this place and he’s got it just right. Really nice place to just sit back and take in the views of Albania, Acharavi, and St Spyridon and listen to the waves.

Also, great to catch up with friends. Claire, Sian, Paul, Rod, Jon, Jo, Lenni, Lakis, Zac, Sid and Jan.

Anyway, I won’t bore you anymore, suffice to say that we will be booking up again for next year, and can’t wait!

GJJW
Tangerine till I die!
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 7:34pm
Lovely advert for Corfu, well done and well said.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Lily's Gran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily's Gran Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 7:38pm
Sounds like my kind of holiday. You have whetted my appetite for next year. Thankyou for your "report"

and Charlie, Nia and Daniel's Gran too
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 11:10pm
Great report. Seems you do the same as us when it comes to getting round the island
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Ellenjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellenjay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 1:09am
I enjoyed reading your report too.

Two questions:-
1 - Which is the best way down to Kalamaki beach? I can see three possible ways each of which seem to fall off the edge of the road!
2 - Where in Roda is the Boathouse bar?
Kefalonia in mid May
Alankeith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alankeith Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 2:38pm
The Boathouse bar is the first bar as you enter Roda from Acharavi if you walk along the shore.
GJJW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJJW Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 3:16pm
Morning Ellenjay
Kalamaki is really easy to get to. Head out of Acharavi towards Kassiopi, past Ice Dream on your left, and the Kalamaki turning on your left is not far after that. It's a pretty steep hill but nothing to worry about. Lovely beach and always fun when the trips arrive there for the beach BBQ's.
The Boathouse is a nice walk from Acharavi on the beach towards Roda. t probably takes about 40 minutes if you are strolling, or 5 minutes by car!
GJJW
Tangerine till I die!
Ellenjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellenjay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 1:30am
Thankyou both.
Two to try in September.
Kefalonia in mid May
Tfg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfg Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 6:57pm
The Boathouse is the second bar on the way into Roda from Acharavi, the first one is the Brandy Shop.
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 8:25pm
Cosmic do a Boat trip/bbq, which is great fun
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 1:55am
So do Castaway Travel office via Captain Aris Boat.
Also love their moonlight cruise to and from Corfu Town.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Barrie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 11:02am
Haven't been on forum for a while, anything happening in Acharavi at the moment?
Love acharavi love newcastle united love ya family love life 🍻😜
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic