'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Paleokastritsa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trip Report June 2014 - The Belvedere

Paleokastritsa, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardine Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trip Report June 2014 - The Belvedere
    Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:37am
Hi guys
I promise to try to make this quick! First timers, please feel free to question me further on anything you'd like more info on.
Good bits first:
Flight perfect. Long wait for cases. Transfer OK, bit longer than expected due to other drop offs.
Different rooms to last time. Spent first night pretty much at the Belvedere pool bar, quick side trip to Petrino's and back for dinner in The Belvedere restaurant. Food & service were really good.

Tuesday was a dull rainy day on & off, so we mooched around shops, went to the Aquarium which was small but worth the 6 euro, you could pet a rock python if you wanted to. You can pay an extra 6 euro to have a trip on a glass bottomed boat. Ate at Nausika (I think???.. It was Greek night). You have to try Grandmama's lamb here.

Wednesday started nice & clear, went to the beach for a few hours until it went dull then back for a siesta. Went to La Grotta for La expensive beer and Spiros for dinner, although its popular for the BBQ I had mousakka which was lovely, had prawn saganaki starter, wasn't quite what I'd expected but everyones recipe is different in Corfu.

Thursday spent the day on the beach at The Poseidon, great on the beach service and surprisingly good prices. Really liked this place. In the evening we took the organised trip to Corfu town, got me a lovely 'Prada' bag and discovered Rosie's bakery - well I presume that's what it's called, fantastic lady described all the baklava, and even told us the best way to eat it. Back to Paleo and Petrino's to watch the match and had a light supper plus home made cheesecake, lush! Big old thunderstorm that night.

Friday sea amazingly much calmer after the storm, hired a scooter from Spiros, got a good deal, rode over to Dassia, Ipsos, Nisakki etc, stopped at Kassiopi for icecream then on to Roda to visit a friend working at The Boathouse bar for summer. Dinner at Limani by the harbour, good food again.

Saturday more scooter adventures, rode up to Arillas, spent some time on the beach and had lunch at The Mirage hotel, lovely looking place and great location! Stopped at Georges on the way back through Lakones for raki & wine. Dinner was Nikos' BBQ at the Belvedere pool bar, was OK but feel like I missed out on a lovely taverna meal, he did top it off with a ridiculous half a watermelon/ouzo cocktail. Other half was worse the wear after that and a couple of cocktails at Me Gusta.

Sunday. Couldn't get a sunbed at Posiedon so went over to Akron for a few hours, take away gyros from O'Merkalis for lunch. Dinner at Nausika again as it's so good!

Bad bits. No hot water in apartment for 24 hours, apartments in a different spot down a tonne of steps although they look fresher and newer than the other ones they are strangely loud! All the doors are springloaded and bang shut which can be heard throughout all of the apartments, along with the scraping of the patio/balcony furniture, every tiny knock to the balcony rail, every cough, sneeze, sniff. Our friends toilet wouldn't flush all week, the maid showed them how to give it a smack before & after the flush...

Beds were hard as rock, I didn't actually sleep properly all week, then due to the echoing noise issues I couldn't get an afternoon nap either.
I spoke to Nikos & Natasha about being able to get their rooms in future, they said they'd try their best but couldn't promise as older guests with walking problems will get priority so I'm sad to say we wont be booking the Belvedere again

Errr sorry, that wasn't short was it??? 
3 'o'clock is always to late or too early for anything you want to do - Jean Paul Sartre
Joefish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joefish Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 5:56pm
Shame about the rain. Had some rough weather this time last year in Sidari which wasted a few days.

After staying several times under the restaurant at the Belvedere, I found the other block quite a bit quieter! You'll certainly miss the views if you book anywhere else though. But they should fix the loo. Though having said that, I have a couple of times had to tighten the odd nut here and there on the plumbing in Greek rooms I've stayed in. I've stayed in a few places that have gone without hot water or electricity for a day, but then I just figure that's what happens when you pay 15 Euros a night instead of 60 or more in one of the big hotels.
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardine Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 6:20am
Hiya Joefish
They were quieter in the sense that the restaurant isn't above you but in there everything banged and echoed, for example, holiday neighbours had a baby who when they had her on their lap sometimes tapped on the balcony rail and it literally 'bonged' through the whole place. I'm not a moaner but these were strangely echo-ey to the point of not being able to sleep, and after a vino or two I normally sleep like the dead. I know I get what I pay for but I don't think a decent nights sleep is out of the question.
Had a great time otherwise, we just spent less time than usual in the room.
3 'o'clock is always to late or too early for anything you want to do - Jean Paul Sartre
Rick_chef View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_chef Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 5:35am
Our worst problem at Belvedere was the cleaner who stayed above us (we were in 103 at the right hand side).
I appreciate she cleans her own balcony, but her cleaning consisted of brushing gallons of water off the front edge, complete with cat sh!t, all onto the balconies below!!! We spoke to Nikos about it, then the Olympic rep. Finally we we advised by a guest to speak to Natasha... It never happened again!!!

Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 6:03am
Hi Rick, yep I think we must have been suffering the same cleaner, no probs with water and cat poo but constantly smacking the railings with a broom for 10 minutes and it echoing through the rooms got a bit tedious!
I'm really gutted about it to be honest, I want to like the Belvedere and stay again, but I cant see it happening, gotta find somewhere else!
Rick_chef View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_chef Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 6:52am
We've stayed at the Belvedere 3 times, the hospitality and the restaurant are amazing, as are, obviously the views. We noticed, as you may have done, that more than 50% of the people using the bar and pool were staying across the road in the Odyseus or in Horizon. 
We're staying at the Zefiros this year, mainly for the air conditioning, but also its location by the beach. Weighing up the pros and cons of Belvedere, for the little extra you have to pay elsewhere, its possibly worth it. We'll definately be visiting Belvedere as bar/restaurant guests, but the rooms are let down by the bathrooms (dodgy even by Greek standards), the echoing, lack of air con and that horrendous set of steps. The views are the big plus point, but, most locations in Paleo have stunning views. 
With booking seperate components rather than a package, we've managed to tailor make our trip to suit us, perfect flight time out with Thomas Cook, perfect time coming back with easyjet, reasonable price for a lovely hotel, and...found a really cheap company that do taxi transfers to Paleo and back for £81...thus avoiding lining up outside the airport like a school trip on the way home :) IF Belvedere fixed the plumbing, fitted air con and got the cleaner to be more thoughtful, we'd return, until then, we'll pay a relatively small amount extra for a lot more comfort (oh and breakfast!!!)
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 6:57am
Where abouts is Zefiros?
I've tentatively looked at La Fiorita behind Petrino's and a few others, I do love the position of The Belvedere on the road, the views from the other apartments under the restaurant are even better!
Rick_chef View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 7:29am
It's the one down towards the Apollon on the right hand side, where the cash machine is. 
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 8:23am
Oh with a café underneath? I know the one.
Think we're going to try Arillas, Kassiopi or Roda for our September hol, but you never know, if a ridiculous deal comes up we'll go again!
Rick_chef View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 8:28am
if you go to Roda, try the New Port restaurant, say hello to Babi for me, he's the chef, we worked together in the best Greek restaurant in the North West of England (allegedly!!) Thumbs Up
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 8:30am
Haha, I have a friend that works in Roda too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic