'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Recommendation Please

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation Please
    Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 2:39pm
I have been asked to recommend a location for a short trip from Corfu Town for a couple. I can recommend places in Corfu Town itself but they may have access to a car. Either North or South - just looking for somewhere traditional with maybe a good taverna, could be beachside or inland with great views no more than 30 minutes easy drive. Cost is not a problem - looking for a wow factor if possible.
Beside the sea all worries wash away!!
Dennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 2:02am
Why limit the drive to 30minutes?  My place with the most 'wow' factor is Afionas village on the headland between Agios Georgios north and Arillas. Not only is it a beautiful village but there are several tavernas with stunning views, especially in my opinion Dionysos Restaurant and Porto Timoni Cafe which both look down across the turquoise waters of Agios Georgios bay as if from an eagles nest. It should take about 1 hour drive but is definitely worth it apart from seeing some nice Corfu scenery on the way.
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 3:22am
They only have part of the day free Dennis as they fly out early evening. Just a short drive & somewhere nice for a few hours. A swim & a good taverna would be ideal - but not too busy. I know where you mean & it is indeed beautiful but just too far I fear.
Corfu Dreamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corfu Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 7:21am
Why not Agni or Kalami? Not too far to drive, scenic and they could get a fabulous lunch - especially down at Agni. 
Corfu Dreamer
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 8:00am
Think Sue may know about Agni and Kalami. x

Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 8:58am
Thanks Corfu Dreamer but, although my first choice, a little too far. Kalami is 45 minutes on a good day when you know the roads well. They would stress over getting back in time and leave far to early. Come on Elliemay you must be able to suggest somewhere LOL

Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:23am
Hi Sue,
I am in the NW so much further away than you.
However if they want to stay in Corfu Town have heard that the Nautilus restaurant in Garitsa bay is excellent. On my to do list. x

Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 10:51am
How about a drive out to Taverna Legrand Balcon above Pyrgi.

Go trhough Ipsos/Pygi heading for the north east coast, then at the top of the hill (just before the road gets narrow, take the left that heads up the mountain - the taverna is about 100 yards on the left.

To be honest, I've never eaten there (but have been tempted) but it's reasonably close to town and has views across Ipsos bay towards town.

Martyn
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 11:23am
Thanks Martyn.
Elliemay is Garitsa Bay the area where the Corfu Palace Hotel is? If so does the Nautilus overlook the green area or the sea?
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 12:41pm
Hi Sue,
Never been to Nautilus but from what I have read it is in the sea front. This is from Virtual Tourist.
"The location of Café Nautilus is amazing, right next to the old mill and with a great view of the old fortress."
Friends have been and said it is really good. Just found this: 
http://www.corfuland.gr/el/fagito/estiatoria-kafe/nautilus-cafe-restaurant/view-details.html#.

Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 1:02pm
Looked at the link and think it is on the bend on the road which goes towards the airport just past the Corfu Palace.(I have stopped for a coffee if early for a flight).  I believe it used to be more of a lunchtime taverna with lots of locals drinking their expresso. Wonder if it has changed ownership.
ElaineK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElaineK Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:49pm
I don't know what the food's like, we only parked up long enough to take photos when we were there at Easter, but the views from Café Kanoni on the headland overlooking the Vlacherna monastery, Mouse Island and the airport are pretty good! Close to town and only a couple of minutes drive down to the beach if they fancy a last swim.
I wasn't lost - I was just taking an interesting detour!
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 12:00am
Nautilus is not on the airport turning but on far end of Garitsa bay next to windmill.  Could take the couple round Canoni and stop at the view of Mouse Island first.
For a short but spectacular drive how about Pelekas and the taverna and view at the top at Kaiser's viewpoint- go one way via Ropa Valley road and return via the other way (Sinarades/Kastellanoi etc)
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 12:59am
We like Nautilus, limited menu its not a taverna after all. Great for people watching in the evening especially, good views of Old Fort. It feels a bit swanky but it is not, if you know what I mean.
We nip round there if we are waiting for a flight and we have a bit of time to kill.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 1:07am
Why not nip down to Benitses. Lot's of beachfront restaurants, or dine at Chicken George. It's on the beach, swim and relax.
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 3:18am
Thanks all for suggestions. I am still not 100% sure how much time we have but some great ideas.
Looking forward to trying Nautilus ourselves. Are they open for breakfast (maybe 10ish).
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 3:39pm
Just for the record Benitses Chicken George is no more- now an Italian restaurant- but the old Avra on the beach has reopened.
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 4:03pm
Sad to see chicken George go
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic