'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Agios Gordios
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Agios Gordis Versus Messonghi

Agios Gordios, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollys Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Agios Gordis Versus Messonghi
    Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 5:43pm
Travelling out to Corfu mid April for 2 weeks. Which of the two would have more open tavernas, bars, supermarkets etc Agios Gordis or Messonghi/Boukari? I'm really tempted by both. Which of the two would have more transport links running to get out and see other parts of Corfu? I like to walk rather than sit around, which of the two has plenty of walks with somewhere to eat and drink along the way? Is it possible to get from one to the other without car hire? What others parts of the island are easy to get to? Any recommendations for either area? Lots of questions I know. I will post this in both forums for maximum response. Thanks.
Weststekker View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weststekker Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 10:18am
Hi Jollys,
  I am a regular visitor to Agios Gordios but I will try not to be biased. Both resorts have a lot to offer the visitor and both have good bus services to Corfu town from where you will be able to explore the island by bus at reasonable cost. Here is a link to the bus timetable which is constantly updated month by month dependent on on passenger numbers. You can get some idea now but check it out nearer your holiday.

On the east coast you are liable to see some great sunrises and on the west coast some of the most fantastic sunsets which you will be able to enjoy on a beachfront taverna with the nightcap of your choice. There will be many places open and you will be made to feel very welcome.

As to walking, you are able to head towards Sinarades in one direction and Kato Garouna/Pendati from the bus stop in the center of the resort. You can stick to the roads or use some of the local paths. If you walk to Sinarades you are able from there to continue on to Aerostrato which offers some fantastic views. It is not a climb for those faint of heart but well worth while.

Agios Gordios has a long sandy beach which is fronted by a range os tavernas and bars. Do all your homework and make your own choice. Regardless of which resort you choose, have a fantastic holiday.   
Your Wish is my Command Master.
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 4:01am
I would go for Messonghi- some tavernas along road to Boukari have been open at weekends all winter, and there will be much more life round there as Corfiots go out to this area, whereas I doubt if many would go to the west coast to somewhere which is basically a beach resort.

Also bus service is not only to Corfu town, you can go south explore the Lefkimi area- the flamingoes should be there- and for walking the areas round Chlomos, or Corissia, cannot be improved on.

Buses start and finish in Corfu town- there are few cross island routes- you could actually walk from one to the other through the olive groves (I live in Benitses and had two guests who used to walk to Agios Gordios for a swim- 2 and a half hours each way they told me)
Gill B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gill B Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 8:27am
Although we are Agios Gordis fans I think I agree with Jan that Messonghi would be your best bet at that time of the year. AG will be waking up for the start of the season at the beginning of May and there will be some buses in and out but you are likely to have more activity and a more frequent bus service to and from Messonghi. Bars and restaurants do seem to be cheaper there than AG as well.  If you are there over the easter period then its a great opportunity to get involved in the celebrations.
Gill
DCV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCV Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 9:54am
I'm with Gill B and Jan.  We love A.G but Messonghi has a better bus route for that time of year to get in and out of town and further.

Alison.
Jollys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollys Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 1:53pm
Thank you all, from what you have all said I think it makes sense to be based at Boukari/Messonghi and get myself out and about around the island with a visit or two to Agios Gordis.

Just need to make a decision on which accommodation now and sort out transfers that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks again.
Gill B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gill B Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 3:34pm
Take a look at Travel Republic for transfers, friends have use them in the past and been impressed. Here is a link http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/default.aspx?sa=1
Gill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic