'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Which Resort???

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marietot Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Resort???
    Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 3:09pm
Hi all,

Well after a fabulous time in Corfu last summer I feel as though I left a piece of me behind, just loved the island and the people.  We stayed in Coyevinas for a week and could easily walk down to Avlaki or walk into Kassiopi at a stretch.  This was followed by a week in San Stefanos (NE).  We loved both places for different reasons.

So flights have just been booked for August Big smileBig smileBig smile ...  Where do we stay???  Considering the following;

Kassiopi
San Stef (NE) - villas are ver expensive here though!
San Stef (NW)
Kalami
Nissaki

Would anyone be able to help as I am getting totally confused?  We like a villa, with pool, no car, ability to walk into centre, mini market / shop for basics (eat out most nights).

Also would do a split holiday (1 week one resort, then change).  Just don't have any first hand experience of the resorts we didn't stay in as we didn't tour the island...

Any help appreciated!!!
Weshamers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Weshamers Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 4:15pm
Hi we like Kassiopi for the choice of tavernas, views and beaches. We have hired a villa from Agni travel called the Doctors House. Really central to the resort with 3 bedrooms and pool. No need for car. We also used to stay in Kalami but got a bit expensive in the tavernas. Depends on your budget. We have visited the west coast, also some lovely resorts there, San Stefanos seems nice and Arillas is recommended by a lot on this site. Hope this helps. Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for.

Live,Love,Smile,Be Happy.Every day of your life
Mansej View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mansej Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 5:33pm
Hi have you thought of Acharavi? Not as picturesque as Kassiopi but a lovely friendly village with a great choice of restaurants and within walking distance of Roda. Also on the bus route to Kassiopi and Sidari. Very short driving distance to both. Long beach which has pebbles but once over these in the sea it is sandy. Can't help with the villa rental but I'm sure there are some around the area.
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 6:26pm
Kalami will always be my first recommendation but I really liked Arillas when I visited last year.
Beside the sea all worries wash away!!
Flynnmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Flynnmo Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 7:36pm
Arillas is beautiful. Small, laid back and quiet. Beautiful sunsets. Check out Villa Linakis website. It is a gorgeous villa set among olive groves. Lots of pictures to give you an idea of the area. Good luck.   Moyra
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 8:59pm
I too love Arillas and if you want a two centre holiday there are also Ag. Steph NW and Ag. George NW which you could also walk to from Arillas if feeling really fit. Lovely coastline with sandy beaches. Agree that Villa Linakis is beautiful.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 9:40pm
Don't be confused Choose Kassiopi. You know it makes sense
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 10:36pm
Maritot the decision is obviously yours. Bear in mind that it is August and all the resorts will be at their busiest. Do you prefer a village or larger town location? Kassiopi and S. Steph (NW) are the larger of the resorts and therefore will always be the busiest and noisiest. Kalami, St. Steph (NE) and Arrillas will be quieter with less choice in restaurants/Bars so you will have to be a little more organised and book in advance (although booking lunchtime for the evening should be sufficient most days).
Marietot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marietot Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 5:19pm
I am even more confused than I was when I started!!!  Thank you though for all your suggestions!

One thing is clear, you all have your favorite locations, but one thing in common is the love of Corfu Big smile !!!

I am no further on, I feel like I see villa websites when I close my eyes at night!  I am doing as much research as I can, but to be honest I don't think we would be disappointed with any resort.

Sue - the little one will be 5 years old by Summer so sometimes it is nice for him to have a bit of something to watch/be involved in, especially as we are in a villa all day.  I don't mean kids clubs or anything, just other little ones around to talk to on occasions or watching the Greek dancing.  A week of this will suffice and happy to be somewhere quieter the other week.  We do love a view (preferably of the sea) and walking distance to the the centre/supermarket.  Coyevinas was a little far out last year.

Thanks all, will let you know.
Muffy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Muffy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 6:46pm
I would not go to Kalami, you would need a car to go places not much there to do except lye on the beach, the road to it is leathal and we were nearly took off the road twice one by a coach cutting the corner, Iposs is lovely and you can hire boats for the day. Hope this helps you a bit.    
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 7:48pm
OOeer - we all have our favorites dont we. Have you thought of somewhere near a shared pool so that your little man will have someone to play with. This was always a good compromise when our boys were young. At 5 years old they can play in the water all day Big smile
You could still hire a villa and it would be cheaper if you did not have a private pool.
Many of the villages have a pool bar which is free entry as long as you buy a few drinks. In Kalami for instance there is the lovely Elia pool bar (google it or look at the Blue Bay Travel website). Personally am not a fan of Ipsos due to beach directly on the main road.
Marietot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 1:16pm
I loved Ipsos in 1999, a girls holiday, a very different type of holiday from what we want now!

The idea of using a public pool is what we did last year to break the day up for the little fella.  We walked up to Katia apartments.  However would like a pool if getting a villa as he does spend all day in there.

I seem to be concentrating on Kassiopi and the NE coastline (Kalami / Nissaki / San Stefanos), those sea views are fabulous!

Nissaki - does the resort span the busy main road?

Kalami - could we get a taxi to San Stefanos (NE) for the evening if booked in advance?  How far are the two?

Thanks again...
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 1:55pm
There are taxis but very few. Why not use the boat taxi - Dino provides a taxi service for the coastline from Kassiopi to Nissaki. Also many of the restaurants  provide their own transport, either boat or car dependant on the location.

Kalami to S.Steph is very near but far quicker by boat (10 minutes). By car 15-20 minutes. Most of the restaurants use Dino for a boat taxi service. There is also Agni of course where there are x3 restaurants also with a boat trip included (free with Nikolas/Agni Taverna and a small charge with Toulas).

I do not know Nissaki so will leave that to someone more knowledgeable.
Kinninviekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 2:20pm
We have stayed in quite a few villas in Kassiopi .
Have a look on villaplus and if you see something you like let me know and I will answer any questions you have.
We are staying at http://www.panayotakassiopi.gr/new2/gr_photos22.htm villa Panayota this June.
It does not have a pool but there is a pool just 10 metres away.
Bob n Rosey
PinkFlipFlop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkFlipFlop Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 2:36pm
My other half and I are going to Kassiopi for the 4th time this year, and love it!! It is funny how all of us have our favourites!!! I don't envy you making your mind up!! I'm certain wherever you choose, in Corfu you will have an amazing holiday!!
ElaineK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElaineK Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 3:36pm
Not that I'm biased or anything but for something completely different, why not try a week on Corfu and a week on Paxos? Plenty of companies, including Agni, have villas on both islands and would be happy to arrange transfers for you to make everything go smoothly. Just an idea!
I wasn't lost - I was just taking an interesting detour!
Marietot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 4:48pm
That is a good idea Elaine, will look into it.  Thanks.

Kinninviekid - Last year we went with villaplus, the villas were fabulous, but this year they seem to have gone very expensive.  Still on the search!

Sue - great idea re the water taxi.  Does anyone know a rough kind of price for this service?  Sounds amazing and making Kassiopi for 2 weeks even more appealing if we could travel round to San Stefanos a couple of nights if it was reasonable?

Thanks again and again!
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 5:41pm
0030 69444 72007 Dino's water taxi
It may be worth giving him a call and askling whether he is still running this year and an idea of the rates. There is an issue with the jetties in the area which may affect the service ro some restaurants but am sure all the bays will still have a drop off/pick up point which he can use.
Marietot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 2:17pm
Davyboy - you were right, Kassiopi it is!  Two weeks booked and we can use this as the base to get out and about should we so wish.  Although I know the draw of Kassiopi will probably mean we won't get that far!

Would like to thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Sue - I will chase Dino up nearer the time, sounds ideal for us.

Thanks everyone.
Muffy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muffy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 2:31pm
have a great holiday you are going to a lovely place in Corfu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic