'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Corfu At Easter?

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corfu At Easter?
    Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 1:27pm
I'm thinking of booking a week in Corfu at Easter next year.  We have always visited for 2 weeks in July previously, and stayed in Kassiopi / Ag Stef / Kalami. 
I have checked the dates of Greek Easter and also what temperatures to expect.  I wonder if any of you can advise what to expect in terms of what might be open, weather, celebrations, and anything else?  I've always fancied seeing the place at Easter, because I know the Greeks make a big deal out of this festival.  Thanks
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 4:25pm
The biggest celebrations are in town. But most towns and villages have their own mass on Saturday night when at midnight the place erupts with everyone greeting everyone else with the greeting Christos Anesti (Christ is Risen) the responce is Alithos Anesti (He is truly risen). Everyone lights their special Easter candle from their neighbours flame. Then you try to get home with the candle still alight to mark a sooty cross under your front door lintle. If your really lucky?? You might be invited to eat maioretsi(spelling?) Soup in someone's house.
The next day, Sunday, many of the tavernas that have bothered to open will offer traditional lamb on the spit cooked slowly over charcoal. We spent Easter Sunday at Monolith above Acharavi this year.
Next year we may be doing something completely different.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 4:51pm
I was sailing around the northern Ionion at Easter.  It was facinating to see all of the celebrations (probably not as massive as Bob describes) and somewhat exhausting. We were in Sivota/Moutos on Saturday night and the fireworks didn't finish until about 5am!.

However, despite the fact that the tourist season had already started, many of the bars and tavernas closed early so that the staff could go to church.  On Sunday were moved on to Lakka (Paxos) and few of the bars and tavernas opened at all.

This may welll be restricted to the smaller islands - but it may be something to bear in mind.

Martyn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 5:04pm
No Martyn, even in Acharavi, many of the bars and tavernas only opened for a short while on Sunday morning, till about 1or2.
However, those tavernas that did open for Sunday lunch, although largely prebooked with large family groups, there was always room made for casual costomers.
Bob.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 5:08pm
D&D, Google Easter Celebrations in Corfu Town, you will get a good idea of what goes on, as well as times. Most seem to be on Saturday, the pot smashing, now apparently orchestrated for the benefit of the television.
Bob
D&D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 2:43pm
Thanks very much.  Sounds very interesting. 
Boblil4550 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boblil4550 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 3:55pm
Hi D&D, We were in Kassiopi this year for 2 weeks 29/04/13 till the 13/05/13 Easter was 4 weeks after the UK and had a fantastic time, the celebrations went on for 2 days and nights, fire works and dancing in the harbour and processions round the village. If you go to Corfu town it gets really hectic, the weather was good only 2 days of rainstorms, Easter in Greece is something every body that likes Greece should do!!!
Have A good time wherever you go???
Yamas
life is not a rehearsal live it to the full !!!!!!!!!!
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 4:28pm
Here is a youtube link to Easter celebrations in Corfu Town. Gives you a good idea.

Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
JeffDH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffDH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 12:36pm
We did Greek Easter this year. That is a brilliant video, and brings back loads of memories. It is the first time we have been for Easter, and that early to Corfu. The island is so different from summer or late season.
We stayed as usual in Benitses, at Argo, and took part in all the celebrations there. We did get the first bus into town on the Saturday. We thought we were early, but it was already packed.
We got a spot opposite the McDonalds, just where the main pot throwing is. We saw all the processions and St Spiridon and then the pot throwing at 11am. It was  packed but you really need be there to see it. The entire green and cricket pitch right up to the castle gets packed. Spiridon is paraded right round the road and back into town from the other end.
We shared the soup. Got to be tried!! and had spit roast lamb on the Sunday.

The weather was lovely, but it was a later Easter, May, and managed to stretch the break to take in my birthday.
I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Jeff
Bucanero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bucanero Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:57am
Hello, have you booked yet? We were also sailing around at Easter. It was a lovely time of year to visit...can't wait for this years celebrations. Corfu town is where all the fireworks & pot smashing happens but all over Corfu you will see celebrations going on. We were in Paxos on the Friday in Lakka bay...there was a wonderful procession of church goers with candles came down past Harbour Lights bar at midnight. We were in a small fishing village on Sunday Petriti & even there there was a big procession where all the fishing boats were blessed. Everyone made us feel so welcome and the smell of lamb all day was just amazing!
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:45am
Hi Bucanero

Yes, we have booked for this year, but won't be there at Easter as we don't arrive in Corfu until Saturday 3rd May (for 10 days).

Our paths (or courses) must have almost crossed last year; we were in Sivota on the Saturday and Lakka on the Sunday, moored outside the Harbour Lights.

A very special experience

Martyn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:01pm
Martyn, I'll give you an update of the situation at S/S in April with regards to moorings etc: no doubt we will have a struggle to hang on to our favoured spot on the wall this year, I'll get Harris to chuck the boat in as soon as we arrive and give her a bit of a paint.
Bob.
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Bob and Wendy Bob and Wendy wrote:

Martyn, I'll give you an update of the situation at S/S in April with regards to moorings etc: no doubt we will have a struggle to hang on to our favoured spot on the wall this year, I'll get Harris to chuck the boat in as soon as we arrive and give her a bit of a paint.
Bob.

With the extra boat taxes (high) and a lot of the yachts abandoning Greece as a result, you may have even more choice of moorings
Mec1960 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mec1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 3:01pm
Hi,
We have booked for Easter this year as my birthday is on Easter Sunday(20th April). I have always wanted to spend Easter in Corfu as I have heard it is the best place to go because of the great celebrations.
We leave on the 13th April till the 22nd April staying in our usual place Paleokastritsa, but different apartments. We are staying at the Felicity Balis (I think that's how you spell it).

Looking forward so much to spending Easter in Corfu as we love Corfu so much.

On the countdown 13 weeks    

Roll on April

Marion and Tom
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 3:25pm

Suzie - I guess that the chater boats/yachts will be around as normal

Martyn
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 3:27pm
True, Suzie, but the Greek based charter yachts will still be around.

Bob - I'm planning a vist to SS myself in April to assess the situation. In particular (and if necessary) I will be looking at alternative arrangements in the village.

Martyn
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 5:50pm
The increased fees, as I understand it, will apply to both foreign and Greek boats so it will remain to be seen how many charters stay in Greece or move elsewhere.     
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 11:11am

Originally posted by SusieH SusieH wrote:

The increased fees, as I understand it, will apply to both foreign and Greek boats so it will remain to be seen how many charters stay in Greece or move elsewhere.    

Susie

My own view (for what it is worth) is that the impact upon the Greek based charter businesses may not be too bad, given that the tax for a 40ft yacht is going to be 400 Euros per year, or about 15 euros per week during the sailing season (May to October).  The increase in Charter rates won't be too great.  Bear in mind that both Albania and Croatia already have a similar tax.

Where the tax will (or is more likely to) hit is on those non Greek nationals who keep their boats in Greece all year round (but perhaps only sail for short periods in Greek waters) or those people who may want to cruise there for only a few weeks per year (e.g Italians sailing over to the Ionion for August each year).  I suspect many of these boat owners will abandon Greece completely.  (Interestingly, the Harbour Lights webcam in Kassiopi showed a Catamaran in the harbour the other day - I wonder if this was returning to Italy?)

Talking of Italy - the Italian Government intoduced a similar tax (I think in 2011) which had a devestating effect on thelocal sailing industry - particularly in terms of visiting and over-wintering boat; so much so that I understand that the law has now been changed.

We live in interesting times!

Martyn 

ElaineK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElaineK Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 1:08am
We'll be there for our first Greek Easter too. We're staying in Town and hiring a car for a few days to get around and see places we've not been to before, so I've made a start on planning today by marking up all the little villages from Steve Ford's guides on an old tourist map. Once I've got them all on the map, I can then work out the most do-able routes and decide exactly where we want to go. Can't wait!
I wasn't lost - I was just taking an interesting detour!
JacquieF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquieF Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 3:10pm
We are also looking forward to our first Easter this year. We are staying in Kassiopi (as usual) - so excited to see the celebrations. Rushing towards us now. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic