'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Kalami, Kouloura and Agni
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Why Not Try Arillas?

Kalami, Kouloura and Agni, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlieos07 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Not Try Arillas?
    Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 7:21pm
If like me you were afraid of trying another resort for fear of missing the Kalami affect then bite the bullet and try Arillas on the west coast.
Arillas has loads of charm and many walks both locally and to neighbouring resorts. An added bonus is the sunsets which are as good as the Caribbean.
You will also be amazed at how much further your money goes. I would say that you can save roughly a third on north east coast prices.
I'm lucky enough to get to the Kalami area once a year but Arillas has been a lovely surprise to find after 20 years on the north east coast, and it is still Corfu.
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 8:41pm
Hi Charlieos07.
I totally agree, but there again I am biased as Arillas is our nearest resort and I just love it. Also the beach area and accommodation on the seafront is based on the flat so is ideal for people with mobility problems.
Agree that the prices are far cheaper than on the NE coast as that was where we used to holiday.
As you say it is quite a simple walk to the adjoining resorts of Agios Stephanos NW and Agios Georgios NW.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Weshamers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weshamers Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:00pm
We also love Kalami, but have moved on to Kassiopi, mainly because of the costs in tavernas. Have looked at Arillas, looks lovely, would things be open in May as that is when we go. Thanks Ann x
Live,Love,Smile,Be Happy.Every day of your life
Eileen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:41pm
You'll find many restaurants open in May, in fact I know a few are intending to open even earlier for Easter due to the number of planned visitors.

We hear regularly of people who walk over to Arillas from their base in San Stephanos and like what they see so much so that they book Arillas for their next holiday.

Be warned...it's called the Arillas affect
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 10:45pm
Hi Ann,
Have holidayed both in Kalami and Kassiopi, if you like those you will love Arillas. x
It's also a darn site cheaper to eat out too.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 11:51pm
Visited Arillas for the first time earlier this week. Pleasantly surprised but very little open - we will return during the summer.
Beside the sea all worries wash away!!
Kinninviekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 12:56am
We plan to visit for a day next June.
It looks just what we like.
Bob n Rosey
Weshamers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weshamers Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 1:47pm
Thanks for the advice about Arillas, sounds just our cup of tea. We always get a car when we visit, so on our list for next year. Visited San Stefanos, Agios Gordis, and several mountain villages, but somehow missed Arillas. Price is also a big factor for us now when booking holidays. Been lucky with flights and accommodation, but good to know spends go further. We have not found Kassiopi too bad on prices, depending where you eat and drink. Biggest rip off this year was a gin and tonic in one bar, 7 and a half Euro!! Got it in another for 3 Euro. We like the variety of tavernas and love a gyro at lunch or after drinks for supper. Are there a good choice of tavernas there. Does not have to be too lively for us, just enough tavernas and bars to stroll to and chill. Thanks lol xxx
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 3:04pm
Hi Ann, 
Yes there are several tavernas there. Although it is our nearest resort we have not yet visited all. Will try and copy a very good map of Arillas once I find it, unless Eileen can do the honours.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Kinninviekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 5:47pm
Here you go Ann.
A nice virtual tour for you.
Bob n Rosey
Eileen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 7:32pm
Here is a link to the latest Arillas map...
http://www.arillas.gr/map/arillas_map_pdfB.pdf

Ann, I think Ellie describes it perfectly when she says despite it being her nearest resort she hasn't been to all the restaurants in Arillas. It really does have a good choice for a resort of it's size - too many to visit in one holiday.

There are places for the 'budget' days, a good number of 'in-betweenies' and a few 'tad more expensives' for treat nights. I love them all!

If you are a fish lover you must visit Thomas's (Vavilas), but be warned you do have to book as it's very popular...and not expensive either.

Eftihia is on the seafront, but set back unassumingly and almost very shyly in it's own gardens - but don't miss it. It's a gem of a place whether for a lazy lunch, or an evening meal whilst watching the sunset. Definitely my favourite place for lunch, wine and a long lazy read of a book...there's just something about Efi's that makes you linger.

After all this talk of food I'm glad I've a stifado in the oven
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 11:11pm
Thanks Eileen, I had to go out and didn't have time to find the map. Have to agree that for a fish restaurant you cannot beat Vavilas, excellent. xxx
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Weshamers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 11:22pm
Thanks all for your help x
Carolox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carolox Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 9:00pm
I have to agree with Eileen about Eftihia on the seafront, a lovely place to take a break from the beach.
Lovely unassuming couple who run it with the help of mother? in the kitchen.
I had lunch there most days and dinner when not having fish at Vavilas, the food is really good and good value at both of these places.
You do have to book at Vavilas as every night when we walked past, as we stay at Makris, it was full.

I'm going back to Arillas this summer as well, I have the bug Eileen, what did you call it the Arillias effect!
I have just arranged to stay at The Makris again booking direct with Lena, I think it's a fabulous location if you like walking. I did the Arillas Trail, but missed a turn off somewhere high up in the olive groves and ended up in Kavadades. Luckily I had a map and a kind person directed me back through some lovely tracks and scenery, avoiding the main roads.
The walk up to Afionas is also lovely with some great tavernas up there.
But all these places you could drive to Ann, so I would say stay in Arillas, you will love it Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic