'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Good News From Ryanair

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good News From Ryanair
    Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 7:02pm
Ryanair are making some fee changes and changing carry on rules over the next couple of months.

From 1 November 2013:

• Providing a booking is made by you directly on its website (ie, not by a travel agent), you'll have a 24-hour grace period from the time of you original booking to correct minor errors including spelling, names or routings

From 1 December 2013:

• You'll be allowed to bring either a second, small carry-on bag (maximum size 35cm x 20cm x 20cm), or a duty-free carrier bag, alongside your main hand luggage bag.
  • The fee for reissuing a boarding card will be cut from £70 to £15, providing you've already checked in online beforehand. If you haven't checked in online, you'll still be charged £70 to do it at the airport.

From 5 January 2014:

• Checking in a bag at the airport without having booked and paid for it online beforehand will be cut from £60 to £30 at the bag drop desk, and from £60 to £50 at the boarding gate for a standard 15kg bag on a standard low season flight. No other prices for checking in bags are changing.

The changes follow Ryanair asking passengers to give feedback to chief executive Michael O'Leary on its website.

It says these are the "first in a series of customer service improvements". 

Lets wait and seeWink

Bob n Rosey
Weshamers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weshamers Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 7:42pm
That's good news, lost our boarding passes on our way to the airport in Barcelona last year, cost us more for the replacements than the return flight. Also our carry on bag went in the measure thingy fine before check in, but we had a real struggle getting it in before the flight and we had not touched it. They grudgingly let us take it on board, but what made me more annoyed was a guy in front off us had a huge rucksack on his back twice the size of our hand luggage and he walked right on!! Must admit we used easyjet last 4 times to Corfu and had no problems at all. But in all fairness I look for the cheapest day flights and if there a few hitches, think I got a good deal, so all good. Just as long as they get me to my beloved Kassiopi. lol xxx
Live,Love,Smile,Be Happy.Every day of your life
Eileen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:45pm
Thanks for posting K'Kid. Being able to carry on a second smaller bag is what I'm most happy with
Wazzer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 10:07am
As far as I am concerned, this is too little, too late. Below are just a couple of reasons why I will NEVER fly Ryanair. From the Telegraph:

Traditionally, Mr O’Leary has been notoriously dismissive of customers who complain about the airline. Last year he described a British woman who was charged €300 (£236) after she forgot to print out five boarding passes on a flight from Alicante to Bristol as an “idiot”.

His other notable quotes include: “People say the customer is always right, but you know what - they're not. Sometimes they are wrong and they need to be told so” and “You're not getting a refund so **** off. We don't want to hear your sob stories. What part of 'no refund' don't you understand?”

Other gems from Mr O'Leary can be found here:

Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 10:37am
Hi Wazzer,
BUT it is the people that do not abide by the T & C's that are charged. Don't get me wrong. I am not a great fan of Ryanair, but if folks did what they were supposed to do they would NOT suffer any extra charges.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Eileen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 11:11am
Agree with Elliemay. Having flown with Ryanair many times I will most certainly be using them again. Corfu - Edinburgh direct next April 67 euros...it's a no brainer. As always I'll be double checking that I've met all the T&C's in order not to be encumbered with extra charges.

Ryanair do send reminders to check-in online and print off boarding passes therefore anyone who doesn't do this have only themselves to blame

Flynnmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flynnmo Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 12:31pm
I agree with Elliemay and Eileen. You are told very clearly what the charges will be if you don't follow the instructions re: boarding passes, baggage etc., and more than once. We have used Ryanair several times now without any problems and would definitely recommend them. 
Wazzer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 1:12pm

Yes Elliemay & Eileen, I sort of agree with you both, but printing boarding passes before arriving at the airport is not what this is all about, this is all about good quality, caring, customer service!

Ryanair (Mr O'Leary) has admitted that their attitude towards customers is not all it should be and the 'negative image' that shareholders complained about recently 'needed to be addressed'.
Does Mr O'Leary really want to do this? Or his he simply making these changes because the shareholders are unhappy and the company posted a loss?

I am sure this bloke would have you taking your hold luggage to the plane and loading it on, and then charging you for the privilege if he could!

Eileen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by wazzer wazzer wrote:

Yes Elliemay & Eileen, I sort of agree with you both, but printing boarding passes before arriving at the airport is not what this is all about, this is all about good quality, caring, customer service!

I am sure this bloke would have you taking your hold luggage to the plane and loading it on, and then charging you for the privilege if he could!

Dealing with facts and not the hypothetical I can only go by my experience with Ryanair and that is I've had the same level of quality, care and customer service from the as with any other airline. (granted my experience of airlines is budget and chartered)

So, as the original post was about changes to T&C's I'm happy that one of their latest changes actually benefits me. As to why these changes were made I'm not in the least bit interested - which I'm sure goes the same for the shareholders attitude to us mere passengers - it's their pockets they are interested in and if their greed for once benefits me then I'm all for O'Leary getting a kick up the derrière

Joefish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joefish Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 4:16pm
Some of these high fees are intended to be penalties to make you plan ahead and so reduce the need to pay for staff to check you in.  The problem I have with printing you own boarding pass is they use very fine 2D barcodes which, unless you have a laser printer to run them off on, are very hit and miss as to whether they will actually work.
Brian & Sheila View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian & Sheila Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 9:28pm
While all of these changes to Ryanair's T&C's are most welcome they are not made out of the goodness of Mr Oleary's heart. They recently lost a court case in Spain and were ordered to revise their T&C's or be refused permission to fly in Spanish air space. There was talk of it being adopted by the whole of the EU which could have meant a lot of egg on the airlines face but instead a good PR exercise has tuned it in their favour. In the long term they will need to recoup any money it may cost them!! In the meantime make the best of it.
Kinninviekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 9:41pm
The simple fact is that Ryanair have once again got loads of free advertising which is  O'Learys speciality.
I mean look at all the people posting just on here about them...

I use them more often than I catch a bus and in around 80 trips I have never had a single problem.
Gone are the days of 1p flights but I still never pay more than £14.99 each way no matter where I am going.

As has been said simply read the rules and comply with them.

I always remember 4 people at the check in at Teesside with 1 suitcase between them.

It weighed 59 Kgs

But we are allowed 15Kg each said the girl with the case.Confused
She proceeded back along the queue asking complete strangers if they could put some of there stuff into their cases until security rushed over to explain that was against aviation law.

We didnt see them get on the plane...LOL
Bob n Rosey
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 12:57pm
Hi,
Rumour has it on facebook that Ryanair have cancelled all the April 2014 flights from Edinburgh. Has anyone that has already booked been notified of this?
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Houndman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndman Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 3:14pm
Hi Elliemay,

I booked two Corfu to Edinburgh flights a couple of weeks ago and on Tuesday night tried to book our out flights. No Corfu flights in or out of Edinburgh for the month of April came up. Very strange I thought and gave their customer services a call yesterday morning.
I asked why no flights were showing and he said they must be working on the system, try again in a month. I told him again that no flights were showing including my booked flight and thought, he is giving me the run around. I give him my booking ref and told him to check that against his system. That worked and I was rewarded with the first bit of truth. Your flight has been cancelled. When were you going to inform me about this I asked. You are in a queue of emails to be sent out. He was then unable to tell me when these would be sent. As of now I have heard nothing.
I am happy to report that Ryanair's new" kinder and cuddlier" face is working well and that they are making great progress in trying to" eliminate things that p*ss people off"

I will let you know when I receive an email.

Kind Regards
Tom and Marion
KEIRA View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KEIRA Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 6:48pm
Hi Tom & Marion, oh my God. I hope you can get a deal somehow, its early days, maybe another company will be able to get Scots to Corfu for EASTER or so many people will have to re-arrange all their work/travel plans. Not good for Ryanair.  K
Volare let's Fly .
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:45pm
Have read other posts and it is confirmed that they have cancelled all April flights from Edinburgh to Corfu. Just wonder if any of the other Ryanair flights from other airports are affected??? 
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 9:54pm
Just printed some boarding passes off for our up and coming trip and just noticed the free extra baggage.
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Houndman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houndman Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 2:01am
Hi Keira,
It takes more than a comical Irish airline with a more than a comical CEO to stop us being in our beloved Corfu for Easter. O'Leary may have been forced to try and improve their profile by his shareholders but, remember he is the master of spin. As we used to say in business, it's still the same painted lady, but with a new dress on. You judge a company, when they drop the ball, by how they react. The customer service I received yesterday was an embarrassment to any company, never mind one of the largest in Europe. I telephoned friends of mine tonight who were booked out on the flight I tried to book. They phoned customer services this morning and received a carbon copy of what I received yesterday. It was reassuring to hear that they were also told that their flight had been cancelled, after they had pushed for information and that Ryanair could not confirm when they would receive an email from them.

We will be in Paleokastritsa/Corfu town for Easter due to now booking with Easyjet. Edinburgh to Athens, Athens to Corfu, Corfu to Luton and then Luton to Edinburgh. It has cost a lot more money, but who cares, as I will not let a badly run company ruin Marion's birthday on Easter Sunday in Corfu. Funny how Easyjet have released record breaking profits and Ryanair have had to tell their shareholders to expect the worst profit making increase in the history of their company.

Yes, Ryanair are good when things are going well but a total nightmare when they are not.
They still can't spell Customer Service, never mind understand it, or put it into practice.

ps Still waiting to receive my flight cancellation email from them so I can get my money back.

Kind Regards
Tom and Marion

MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 1:56pm
This isn't the first time that Ryanair have pulled this stunt (and no doubt it won't be the last).
I hope that you get your money back quickly.

Monarch pulled a similar stunt on us a couple of years ago - we will NEVER use them again.

Martyn 
Houndman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:06am
Hi Martyn,
It is now seven days since Ryanair pulled their Edinburgh to Corfu flights. Five out and five in = ten flights.

I have still to receive a cancellation email from them so I can get my money back. Things can't be that bad at Ryanair that they have still not notified the people who booked on these ten cancelled flights to earn a couple more quid interest or is down to them not being interested in customer service. Either way, they are out of order again.
If anybody else has booked on any of these cancelled flights can you let me know if you have an email yet.

Kind Regards
Tom and Marion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic