'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

How Easy Is Car Parking

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Easy Is Car Parking
    Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 11:33pm
[Hi folks.  Feels strange being the one asking questions but it's been quite a while since we last visited Embarrassed.]

How easy is it to park, I am thinking firstly of Corfu Town.  I know there are spots near the square with spaces but is parking generally OK (I am thinking end of September) I can't recall car parks but then again I never used to drive. 

Also, in smaller villages is it still a case of finding a side of the road and just pulling up? 

Gouvia comes to mind, we'd like to visit Aries Taverna at some point and I can't remember where people park - our friends would park in the Diellas car park in the evening and I think there was parking near the beach in front of the Molfetta.
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 12:04am
We have never had a problem at that time of year. Just be sensible where you park in villages, allow room for people to pass or you might find you have a large dent in your wing LOL

Can't help with Gouvia I am afraid. 
Philhellene View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 12:59am
Thanks SusieH, bit like when parking near farms in Cornwall only it's the cattle that can leave the dents.
Ellenjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ellenjay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 9:07am
Sometimes we park in Gouvia and then get the blue bus into town!
At the end of September there is space near the beach by the Molfetta, or near the marina entrance towards Kontokali.
We sometimes park at the old port on a Sunday, it is only a euro or two.
Good Luck!
Argostoli in 12 weeks!
Kevessex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kevessex Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 9:59am
Hi 
We always get a bus into town though I guess it depends on time of year, but its always full even by early morning! Unless you know all the little back roads and tricks, I would not bother with the car, parking in Gouvia is easy by the marina!
kev
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 10:53am
No problem getting parking in the main square yesterday, many less cars than a week or so ago!
Wazzer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 12:52pm

Sorry Kevessex, but I don't know any of the back roads and I am a useless at navigating anywhere. Crazy!Smile If you have a car, why catch a bus into town? Even in July/August I always manage to get a space somewhere and always park legally, but I never try and park in the centre of town.

Why not try parking up near the new port, as I often do, and then take a short walk into town. Easy!
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 2:07pm
You should be OK in September. All  parking in Corfu Town was free when we last visited but not sure how long this was going to last. Apparently the locals deemed car parking charges illegal but it was only a matter of time before a law could be passed to change this - only in Greece!!!LOL If you have problems finding a space you can park on the seafront road by the Corfu Palace Hotel then only a short walk into town (parking here is always free if you are in doubt)!!
Beside the sea all worries wash away!!
Pam Ella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pam Ella Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 2:09pm
We usually have a car during our stay (but unfortunately not this year) and we ALWAYS get the bus into town as it's much, much easier than trying to find a parking space!

Pam....
Life's a beach and mine's in Corfu
Graham T-A View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham T-A Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:19am
Well, there's a blast from the past. Welcome back Phil. When are you coming to Corfu and where are you staying? Our house is finished now (about  9 years ago) so it must be about that long since you last visited. I will  be  back in Corfu next Wednesday so hope to see you there
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:13pm
Weve been directed to 2 little car parks right in the centre of town, I can only describe how to find them from the way we go to them. Coming from the north make as if to go to the airport, but after passing all the electrical shops, (Kotsovolos etc:) follow the road round to the left, not down the one way street towards the airport. Follow this road all the way past the old hospital and in about 100 metres there is a car park sign on the right, turn left or right here to the car parks, you leave your keys in the car for the lads to move them about so no valuables left behind of course. I think we pay about 3e for a couple of hours. They are right next to San Rocco Square.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Tfg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfg Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:39pm
I know there is less crime in Corfu but 'leave your keys in the car so the lads can move them around' Really??
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:47pm
Hey Graham! So glad you found my post.
We will arrive late Friday 27th September for a week. When people say is there somewhere I would like to live in Corfu, your house comes to mind. Is it really that long ago? It would be great to meet up, maybe at Agni? I couldn't see PMing on here, is it only a Moderator thing these days? I was thinking I'd let you know my number when I buy a sim in Corfu.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:49pm
Staying in the Jasmin apartment in Kaminaki as it's only the 2 of us and it was available.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:51pm
Thanks Bob, helpful as always. It's been even longer since we met at Agni than when I last saw Graham/Angela.
Werangels View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werangels Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:59pm
We also park where Bob and Wendy said and have never had a problem (touchwood).  You can also park on the road around San Rocco square and the traffic wardens are very helpful in helping you to manoeuvre into tight spaces.
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:26pm
Tfg, what's the difference between London and Corfu. When we go to London we leave the keys at the desk and they move the car around when they need to.
Unfortunately, at the Corfu site they don't offer to chuck a bucket of water over it while we are away.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Graham T-A View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham T-A Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:37pm
Phil. you need more posts before you can send PMs but if you can remember your password you can logon with your old username which is  -  Phil(Hellene)  - and then you will be able to send and receive PMs.
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:07pm
Hi Tfg,
When we park at our secret car park in Corfu town, we always leave the keys so that they can juggle the cars. Never been a problem in 5 years. Long may it last. xxx
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:19pm
Hi Phil, 
You have a choice really of which user name you wish. Either Philhellene as you are using now or Phil(Hellene) which was you old one if you can remember the password. Lol. 
If you wish to continue using Philhellene I can transfer your post count over from 'tother account which will then give you access to using the pm system. Probably the best way forward. Graham what are you like??? Lol. xxx
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic