'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Holiday October-November

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kamila Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holiday October-November
    Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 1:24am
Hi, it's my first time here using this forum.
Never been to Corfu...

Could you advise me what would be the best place to rent a villa end of October-beginning of November (half-term holidays) so the place won't be deserted?

We are family with 2 girls (6 and 8 yrs old), going to rent a car anyway to visit other parts of the island.

I am looking for the advice as last year we went to Ibiza this time of the year and the corner that we stayed was completely dead from 31.10.

Although we are with kids we would like to go out to eat/drink in the evening and go for a walk to local shop (not drive an hour) and nice/safe walk to the beach with kids.

Thanks

Kamila
BoltonLynda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoltonLynda Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 11:27am
Sorry, but I think you will struggle. Everything seems to start to close down from early October onwards on the resorts, although a few places will still be open
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 11:39am
I think your best bet might be Acharavi or Kassiopi if you want a seaside resort. Both of these have one or two tavernas open all year round although nothing will be buzzing as package tours will have stopped.

Have you looked at flights? I think that should be your first port of call, see what is available and the cost before you book accommodation.

The local travel offices will be able to help on bookings for villa rentals.

Remember that evenings can be cold so you may want to look for somewhere with some form of heating. It can also be quite chilly during the day when it rains as it is likely to at that time of year. Even Rhodes shuts down at the end of October and it is a lot further south.

I do not want to put you off Corfu, it is a lovely time to visit, but think about it carefully. Maybe you should think about Corfu Town which never closes.

MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 12:21pm
Picking up on Suzie's cooment above, it is possible that Acharavi would be better than Kassiopi.  Certainly, the former tends to have places open all year round.  Kassiopi can be very quiet once the season ends.

Martyn
Fruityoghurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruityoghurt Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 3:25pm
Kamila, far be it from me to put you off Corfu as we have been going to the island every year for over 25 years but end of October is too late. We went 4th October to 18th October 4 years ago & out of 14 days only 2 were fine all day, it rained all the others some days all day. Try for next year, May is a lovely month, all is fresh & new & there are school holidays at the end of May.
A good place end October/November would be any of the Canary islands its usually a steady 23 degrees in winter with everything open, good luck in your search. Pat x
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 5:51pm
Have many friends who come out for half term and have a wonderful time, but I would choose somewhere nearer town so if the weather is bad you can go in there. Gouvia/Kontokali would be a good choice I think as both are quite lively all year round thanks to the marina.
Kamila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kamila Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:35pm
Yes, I've got tickets already! I love empty beaches and no crowds... just a little bit of life around is perfect. Thank you for your comments.Smile k
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:24pm
In that case I would say Acharavi would suit you down to the ground as it is a year round village.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:40pm
Must be Acharavi, although I understand the virtues of somewhere near Corfu Town.
Acharavi has plenty of places to eat out in the evenings, I would suggest choosing accommodation that is self catering, at that time of year some of the option tavernas only operate at weekends, although there is always somewhere open.
Weather may be a problem as stated, but in the past, we have experienced dreadfull weather in both August and September as well as May, so you just have to make the best of it if bad.
If you have luggage space pack some sort of kids games in case the children need entertainment, I've seen loads of pictures hung on taverna walls, painted/drawn by children and presented to their host on a rainy day.
Go with an open mind and you'll have a lovely time.
Bob.
By the way, we have not missed the last week of October for about 25 years, well, someone has to turn the lights out.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 10:57am
"By the way, we have not missed the last week of October for about 25 years, well, someone has to turn the lights out.  "

I know the feeling.  One year at the very end of October/early November we pitched up at the airport for the flight home - no aircraft on the tarmac (much concern)   Having eventually abandoned the car and its key (no one around from Herts to collect them) we went into the departure lounge. Thirty minutes before our schedules departure time, the plane arrived, completely empty.

As we were queueing  up at the gate, the staff in the duty free shop turned the lights off, closed the shutters and left the airport;  that's it - the island is now CLOSED FOR THE WINTER.

To be fair, that was a few years ago now and things have changed, but it did go to demonstrate just how seasonal the tourist industry was in Corfu.
Kamila View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:23pm
Hello again,

You are very welcoming here in this forum, I didn't expect so many posts! Thank you very much!

So I was looking on self catering places to rent and found something not expensive in Gouvia. Hope it's big enough for 4 of us (anyway we will be out all days if no rain). I think Gouvia is in the middle of the island so good for exploring both north and south... will go to Acharavi as well  - for a trip.

Is it a good location? Any thoughts?

Kamila
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 10:20pm
Think you have done the right thing- on good local bus route and very central as a base for exploring the rest of the island.
Kinninviekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 12:19am
Looks a good apartment and as you will have a car its perfect for exploring.
We usually stay in Kassiopi but often hire a minibus and have toured all of the coast and quite a bit of the interior as well and have not found anything better than where we are (for us).
We have been early October before and have seen the temperature hit 30*C and also some fantastic thunderstorms.
I am sure you will have a great time.
Bob n Rosey
Hanney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanney Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 12:05pm
Hi,

I am going out to Acharavi from 29th September to 13th October.  I have never been this late before, I am hopeful we will have a few good days  but I was  just wondering if  anyone can tell me what the chances are of tavenas being open in the centre and also along the beachfront.  I was also wondering if the local bus service will still be operating as if it rains we hope to visit Roda and Kassiopi.

Thanks for any info anyone can give, it's much appreciated.
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 2:14pm
About 4 years ago we went at exactly that time and as far as I remember only one, fairly remote beach taverna was closed, everything else was open. Faros was full every night on the beach

It is a lovely time to visit. The locals are more relaxed as the really hot weather has passed and working at breakneck speed in the tavernas is not as exhausting

We did have some rain and spectacular storms and the odd power cut, but they did not last long and it was not cold. All in all a lovely time for a holiday
Weshamers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weshamers Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 7:16pm
Stayed in Kalami last week in October 4 years ago. Swam every day, sunbathed. Needed cardy at night. Everything open. Shops were winding down, not as much stock, but would not hesitate to go again at that time. lol xxx
Live,Love,Smile,Be Happy.Every day of your life
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 8:24pm
Have been in Kalami at the end of October for the past few years. It really is dependent on the weather as to what is open. The supermarkets will have no new stock and last year were selling T-Bags individually!!! The weather is changeable so pack your bikini and your waterproof but enjoy!!
Beside the sea all worries wash away!!
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:40pm
Hanney, almost everywhere will still be up and running.
No need for a bus to Roda just walk along the beach, its a nice walk.
As far as I know, the buses run all year round, just possibly a different schedule.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Ellenjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellenjay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:04am
Hanney - The bus that connects Kassiopi, Acharavi, Roda and Sidari is seasonal but it does usually run at least into early October.
Argostoli in 12 weeks!
Hanney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanney Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 6:28pm
Thanks for all the replies it is much appreciated. I noticed just as we were leaving in May a new cash and carry was opening, does anyone have any idea what the prices of essentials are like, just wondering if it's worth going there as I was reading in one post that supermarkets are running out of stock at this time of season. Was also reading there is a laundry which I never noticed last time, does anyone know if it is expensive, I was thinking it may be better using this rather than taking too much luggage. 

Thanks again I'm really looking forwad to my hols now, just hope the weather is kind to us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic