'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Acharavi and Saint Spiridon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Sadly, I'm Back!

Acharavi and Saint Spiridon, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJJW Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sadly, I'm Back!
    Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 10:22am

Well, I’ve now returned from my two weeks at our apartment in Acharavi (my wife and daughters are still out there – lucky devils)!

As always, I had a fantastic time. The food, warmth and hospitality were as amazing as always.

The heat was a bit much for me at times but, I could always hide with a drink in the shade or the bar/taverna.

I have to say that I thought Acharavi seemed a bit busier this year, so hopefully the up turn has started.

So, I managed to visit at least half of the tavernas I wanted to and here’s a few points on each:

Binilikia – Fantastic meze style food, and on Friday nights they have Greek music and dancing which was really enjoyable (even if I did make a fool of myself).

Three Brothers (Astakeria) – Great little fish taverna. Ask what they have fresh and recommend. I had kalamari in red wine sauce and what a find!

Koulura taverna – Went here on the Sunday afternoon for lunch and again, the fish was fresh and too much to choose so I asked for the platter and was not disappointed.

Gelatis (New Perithia) – The hosting skills, hospitality and food at this local eatery are great. One of the places were profit doesn’t seem to matter, just customer satisfaction and this really comes through.

Toulas (Agni) – Always visited Taverna Agni in the past but thought we’d give Toulas a try this year and so glad we did. The mussels, salmon and octopus were mouth-watering.

Roda Park – Had the fresh sea bass here and just seeing the waiter filet the fish in the space of 20 seconds is a sight to behold. Again, lovely.

Pyramid (St Spyridon) – Beautiful setting, sunsets and area. The food offers something a bit diferent and the crazy golf and go karts are great for the kids too!

Also visited Faros, Woodys and Orpheus in Acharavi who were all great too.

Can honestly say that we didn’t have a bad meal over the two weeks I was there.

Special mention to Central Bar for their Greek night. Great entertainment, music and dancing of all kinds.

Every year we go back thinking can it be as good as the last? Well, it just keeps getting better and long may it continue.

Yammas all and happy holidays

GJJW
Tangerine till I die!
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 4:14pm
Great write up GJJW, glad you had such a good time, unlike you I dislike fish, except pickled in vinegar, so the same tavernas wouldn't appeal to me. But Binelikia, and Central bar are fun. We would have met up there but we had returned to UK for a couple of weeks, booked for the end of the week though.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
GJJW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJJW Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 4:18pm
Cheers Bob
Maybe next year?
Enjoy your time over there.
Cheers
GJJW
GJJW
Tangerine till I die!
Acharavigirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acharavigirl Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 5:37pm
WOW what a report!!!  Glad you had a great time.  I dont suppose you managed to try the taverna that used to be Liberty's??  Just wondering is the Three Brothers (Astakeria) the wee place along from Woody's/Faros??  I cannot wait to get out there - roll on 2nd September
GJJW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 5:40pm
Hi
Sorry but never got round to trying the old Libertys (Ta Rebetika I think it's called). Heard some good reports though.
Three Brothers at Asterkeria is just past Roda and towards Sidari. It's a small fishing port. You'll see the signs for it from the road.
Hope you enjoy.
Cheers
GJJW
Tangerine till I die!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 6:05pm
Astrakeri is a nice large sandy beach, with shallow sea, and a small harbour, one taverna (Three Brothers) as the road comes down to the beach, (there is another at the other end of the beach, but you turn left before reaching the beach, can't remember the name), no sun beds or umberelas to hire. This is the beach the people of Karousades consider their own.
Bob.
Acharavigirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acharavigirl Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 7:37pm
Cheers for the replies GJJW and Bob and Wendy.
Maggy View Drop Down

Forum Storyteller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maggy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Bob and Wendy Bob and Wendy wrote:

Astrakeri is a nice large sandy beach, with shallow sea, and a small harbour, one taverna (Three Brothers) as the road comes down to the beach, (there is another at the other end of the beach, but you turn left before reaching the beach, can't remember the name), no sun beds or umberelas to hire. This is the beach the people of Karousades consider their own.
Bob.

The Taverna at the other end of the beach is called Gregory's, if that's the one you mean Bob & Wendy, blue and white? The locals from Karousades tend to use Agnos beach--well we do, Wink

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 4:13pm
Hi Maggy, yes that's it, never been there but it looks OK.
Just repeating what Greek friends who live in Karousades have told us, that Astrakeri is where they go with all their friends and kids for picnics and Clean Monday celebrations, hence the lost kites tangled in the electricity wires come spring.
We have never stopped in Agnos, just driven down a couple of times in the winter when having a drive round.
Bob.
Rixy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rixy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 3:04pm
Hiya Gareth
It was good to see you Kathy and the girls at last. It had been absolutely years since we last saw you but must say you both looked well, and you have two beautiful daughters.
            Jill & Rob
Jill & Rob looking forward to next holiday to Corfu
GJJW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 9:39am
Thanks Jill and Rob
It was great to see you too even if it was only briefly. You both looked great - it must be all the holidays in Corfu!
Hopefully, next year, our paths will cross again and we can have a proper catch up.
Take care.
Cheers
GJJW
Tangerine till I die!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic