'
Forum Home Forum Home > Ionian Islands > Paxos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Olympic Holidays Transfers

Paxos, Ionian Islands

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticky Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olympic Holidays Transfers
    Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 7:03pm
Hi all - we had our first holiday to Paxos last year and, like everyone else here, fell in love with the place.  I'm going back with my aunt this year, staying at Bastas for a week, flying from Birmingham on 9th September.  From what I've read, it looks like we'll be staying in Corfu for the night (and going over the next day.)  Do we have to get the 5 hour ferry the next day, or do they put us on the hydrofoil early in the morning? Does anyone know where we'll be dumped, or is there any chance that Olympic will fork out for a water taxi?  Out of interest, is there anyone out there who would like to share a water taxi on the 9th September - we land at 7.15 pm.  Also, if we do get a water taxi, will our rooms be available at Bastas that night?  Lots of questions, I know, but I'm hoping that someone will know!!!  Thanks all.
Tina B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tina B Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 6:10pm
If there are a few of you on the same flight, or arriving later then they may well put you on a sea taxi, I know last year they did try and get everyone onto Paxos on arrival day if possible.

Could be worth emailing Bastas to see if they can get any idea from the rep (Olympic staff in London have no idea). Doubt you would be put on the long trip boat. Until at least September 1st there is a hydrofoil at 6.30am. However it depends on where they put you on Corfu overnight!!!

If the flight time changed since you booked meaning you now arrive after the last boat has left it could be worth seeing if they will put you on another flight from Birmingham that arrives earlier. Not worth paying the 350 euros for a sea taxi if you could transfer to another flight for less cost. I would phone customer services rather than the 'sales reps' who deal with bookings. Play around on the Olympic site first with flight only for your dates, this will give you alternative flights, and times, and difference in costs before you contact them. Good luck!
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardine Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 3:50pm
Hi Ticky
I think you'll find Olympic will want to put you up in a hotel nearby and transfer you next day by hydrofoil.
Do as Tina suggests and see if you can get your flights changed to an earlier time, on my second trip I specifically picked flights that would mean we'd get across same day, then they changed them, we'd had a rough time of it the first time with transfers so I mentioned that and asked to have our flights changed to another airport (luckily we're between Birmingham & East Mids) and they did, all went well until we got there and there were hydrofoil issues... best laid plans eh?
3 'o'clock is always to late or too early for anything you want to do - Jean Paul Sartre
Ticky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticky Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 5:55pm
Thanks everyone - I've just checked and there are no flights on the dates we want.  Never mind, I'm sure we'll have a lovely night in Corfu town.
Tina B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tina B Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 1:43pm
Oh it won't be Corfu Town that they put you up in!! We have been to Ipsos, Dassia (lovely owner shouting at everyone), and best of all Kavos, just where you want to go when you have chosen quiet Paxos.

Could be worth seeing if you could get a cheap room in Corfu Town though and just tell them you'll see them at the port.
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardine Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 2:40pm
Hiya, I'd read reviews that said they've stayed closer to the port when it's a planned lay over, as opposed to the 'unexpected layover' that we've been subjected to the last couple of years.
That said having never had a trouble free trip to Paxos I can't comment from experience Confused
3 'o'clock is always to late or too early for anything you want to do - Jean Paul Sartre
Ticky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 4:40pm
Eek - that sounds a tad grim!  I suppose we'll have to take our chances!  Thanks people!
Paleogirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paleogirl Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 9:48am
The bad thing here is that having given your money to the travel firm they are not keeping you in touch with the options/situation. Confused
I can close my eyes and see Paleo but it's not the same.........Roll on my next trip.
Tina B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 11:56pm
Not sure what happened to the late arrivals, but Mum travelled this week. Arrived in time for a last boat across but the bad weather stopped a transfer on Monday. Olympic managed the blip fairly well this time. they were taken to a nice place in Roda thankfully not that horrid place in Dassia or Kavos (sorry but if you book Paxos why put you up in a place that is the complete opposite). They enjoyed the trip up the coast and thought positive thoughts like well we are having a 2 centre trip. They knew they would be on an early boat so wanted an early night after being up very early for the flight. However the rep arranged to meet them all at 10.30pm!! A fellow guest had been getting rather fresh at the bar since arrival, and obviously didn't listen as they were not waiting for the coach at 4.40am!! They were located and woken up. Apparently a bit of a rush to get them to the coach as on arrival at the port they discovered they had left their false teeth in the bathroom at Roda!

All got the boat and were at Bastas not much after 8.00am. Teeth still in Roda.

This same person must have then got giddy at the pool bar in the afternoon, fell down the steps on their way back to the room. Last heard under instruction from the doctor to lay down and keep still. People often ask us what we do for entertainment on 'boring' Paxos.   
Shakespearstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakespearstar Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 10:43am
Oh Tina your post did make me laugh!!

I wonder did he get his false teeth back! I can see them now in a clear plastic bag being passed to the lady who loads the boat in Corfu and placed on the top of a stack of suitcases, grinning, as they make their way across the sea. Then on Paxos passed from the lady to the Rep who would give them VIP treatment as they're placed, still grinning, on the back seat of a local taxi and driven to be reunited with their owner!!
Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life!
Helen :)
Tina B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 11:32am
Ha Helen that's the mental picture I had too.

The chap ended being checked out in the hospital so was reunited with them on Corfu.

Poor mum though, bad weather forecast meant everyone was shipped off Paxos Sunday morning. Nice hotel outside Sidari this time, seem to have learnt from all the Kavos complaints. She would have been happy to be stranded on Paxos though!
Shakespearstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakespearstar Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 10:09am
Hi Tina. Your poor mom! I think I'd be more upset at having to leave Paxos early than getting there late. Then again it could be worse, going for one week and finding yourself short at the start and the beginning! Now that would be bad luck!! Those pesky transfers at least it keeps the crowds away!!
Has your mom any news on Roger? I've been wondering what form of search has been going on there now there seems to be a chance he may have got back to Paxos. Such a terrible thing to happen!!

Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life!
Helen :)
Tina B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 6:44pm
Poor mum chanced a last minute week and ended up with 4 1/2 days on paxos.

British Police are sending people over to help with the search for Roger. His poor family, but the help from everyone has been amazing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic