'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Messonghi and Moraitika
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Whats Happened To Beach At Messonghi

Messonghi and Moraitika, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corfusun58 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats Happened To Beach At Messonghi
    Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 1:34am
Can anyone tell me what happened to the beach in Messonghi this year? It wasn't like it normally is, it was quite scruffy with overflowing bins?
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 10:44am
I've actually been impressed by the way Dimos Meliteion is keeping beaches clean. There is though much less money around for everything and local residents, and visitors, have to do their best themselves
Corfusun58 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corfusun58 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 11:26am
Hi.
Not sure what or who you mean by Dimos?

But the beach between Seaside bar and Christina had bins overflowing at one point not emptied for 2/3 days and there was a used melon skin near the walkway been there for days & still there when we left. I found it strange that last year there was a lot more sunbeds on the beech and a lot more people around and the bins were not overflowing.

But Messonghi still a lovely place with very friendly locals and great tavernas cant wait to go back. Missed the village tavern Marilenas it had not opened while we were there. We have tried them all now apart from Maraki the yellow one on the beach next to Memories, does anyone know what the food is like?

Orionstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orionstar Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 2:17am
I had a fab souvlaki and a great Swordfish there last week, all done on the grill. No frills but nice food, although other half's steak was somewhat overcooked the second time we visited.
Step Hen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Step Hen Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 7:16pm
The food is very good. Well worth a try. 
Dennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 8:20pm
This sounds like a general island problem. You don't say when you visited but I have heard from business owners in other Corfu resorts that there had been delays in emptying big bins up until recently. At least in Agios Georgios north that now seems to be sorted. It is a shame the authorities often seem to forget to get the island READY for the tourist inflow from the beginning of May. The business owners regularly put pressure on the authorities to get this done but always seems to  be ignored. It is very important that the island is ready for the tourists when they come.
Pam & Martin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam & Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 10:46pm
We were in Messonghi the last week in May and the beach was a mess for the first few days and there was no boardwalk.  The locals all got together and put the boardwalk down and cleaned the beach up the best they could.  They were having problems with the council over the sunbeds, only the people with businesses on the beach were allowed to put any out!

As far as food at Maraki's is concerned its excellent, the souvlaki's are wonderful and you can get fresh fish if Yanni has been out fishing that day.
Pam x
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 9:58am
The Dimos was like the town council-now abolished and centralised but still working for the local inhabitants.

I remember last year the amount of sunbeds causing disputes as people, visitors included, said they spoilt the beach- and as they were usually empty they were not generating income for their owners, so imagine that is why there are less now. People have to pay for the permission to rent out sunbeds.
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 11:25am
Once again Jan you beat me to it.
People don't seem to appreciate that a sun bed licence is expensive and difficult to obtain, so if the income doesn't cover the costs it's not worth bothering with.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Corfusun58 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 4:42pm
Hi everyone

Thanks for all the posts. I agree the beach looks better with less sunbeds, it seemed over crowded last year.

We were in Messonghi 1st 2 weeks of June and the bins on the beach were overflowing and as I said earlier a melon was strewn there for days. At the beginning of our holiday the bins in the street were also overflowing but got better as the days went on.

I must try Maraki next time it just always seems to be empty. Love Dionysos, Minories, Jaks & of course Korali.

Cheers everyone
Cairocuz1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cairocuz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 11:48pm
Went to Messonghi beach in July no problems with bins. It was our first time to this beach and we had no problems. Stayed on beach outside Bacchus tavern, ate there as well it was very good
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic