'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Agios (Saint) Stephanos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Large Supermarket En Route From Airport

Agios (Saint) Stephanos, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulaf Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large Supermarket En Route From Airport
    Posted: 26 May 2013 at 9:36pm

Hi,

We are staying in Agios Stephanos and would like to do a big shop en route from the airport when we first arrive.

Can you suggest any large supermarkets en route from the airport, and approx how far out of Corfu town they are, which side of the road are they on, near any landmarks eg a hotel so we can easily find them?

Thanks

Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:54am
The easiest to get to would be A&B at Kondokali, on the left, the next would be Dielas at Gouvia, also on the left. Lidl on the left on the dual carriage way before Kondokali is a possibility, but confusing to get to from that direction if unfamiliar with the road.
There are a couple of Dimitra Markets in town but I can't think how to describe how to find them, it depends what route you are using out of the airport.
Bob
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Paulaf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulaf Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 12:34pm
Many thanks
Kinninviekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 1:24pm
We find Dielas in Gouvia to be the cheapest one with a large selection of stuff to choose from.
On the dual carriageway heading to Gouvia it is on the left so look out for a 2 storey green building on your left at a junction. Its got big signs so easy to spot.
You need to turn left just in front of the shop and the car park is at the rear.

Bob n Rosey
Paulaf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 1:38pm
Many thanks, all noted on my map.
Jules 162 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules 162 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 2:37pm
Hi Paulaf, you have the same idea as us, we are picking car up at airport and wanting to stock up before arriving at accommodation.

Got some great instructions from this site about large supermarkets.

I always find the small local shops quite expensive so hoping to load car up with provisions prior to arriving at our accommodation.

Lidl sounds like home from home for the basics and way I look at it if we save a few euros stocking up means we have more to spend eating out an giving the Greek people our money especially in this economic climate.

Jules / Dean
Avlaki John View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avlaki John Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 10:38pm
Hi. We have been going to Stefanos for many years, and although the local shops may be a bit dearer we find the service and welcome worth the extra. Don't forget, these shops are mostly owned by local families who need our support, whereas the likes of Lidl are owned by multinational companies.
Kinninviekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 11:19pm
Here here...

Bob n Rosey
Dennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 12:58am
I also agree with AvlakiJohn and we try to give the local shops our business. Maybe we are lucky in that in these local shops in Agios Georgios are not particularly over-priced.

Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:19am
Buy it when you need it I say. Learnt my lesson stocking up, stuff I have had to sling. False economy. Buy LocalThumbs Up
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Corfu Dreamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corfu Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 11:29am
I agree. We tend to bring some stuff with us that can be particularly expensive such as coffee (the foil refill packs that you can now get are good for saving weight) and toiletries, but look forward to our first shop. There are several supermarkets that are convenient to San Stef that deliver, but we always dump the bags, maybe unpack a bit and then head up to Nikos Supermarket on the main road to Kassiopi where we always get a great welcome from Nikos, Lea and Maria.
Corfu Dreamer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic