'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Agios (Saint) Stephanos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

June Weather/Boat Hire/Restaurants

Agios (Saint) Stephanos, Corfu

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulaf Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: June Weather/Boat Hire/Restaurants
    Posted: 10 May 2013 at 2:42pm
Hi, 

We're staying in a villa near Agios Stephanos from 17th June for 2 weeks, couple of questions:

- Is it usually warm enough in the evenings without a cardi or jacket?

- I see there are 5 tavernas in the village itself, do they all offer the same fare or do they have different specialities eg one is best for fish another for meat etc etc? What is your view of each?

- Are the other tavernas in Avlaki and Keraisa worth making a trip to?

- When we last went 10 years ago, there was a taverna called Dimitris or similar on the main road about 2-3km away, which we really liked, had great views too, is it still there?

- What is the approx cost of a small boat hire, upto 30hp for either 2 hours or half a day?

Many thanks
D11burton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote D11burton Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 6:50pm
Hi Paulaf

- Haven't been in June, so others will answer that - I would guess it's ok in the evening.

- All fairly similar fare, I would say, some dishes occasionally better at one than another. People have their favourites, so I guess you may hear some different views, but try them all. We tend to use Kaparelli and Galini mainly, as we've known the guys there for so long, but we do also use Cochilli and Eucalyptus.

- The one at Kerasia is probably worth the trip, as it's a pleasant trip down the road and a quieter environment; probably similar fare again there. Haven't used Avlaki.

- Don't know Dimitris. Quite a lot of people strongly recommend the Tavernaki at Sinies, just by the turn-off from the main road - it's evenings only or they do a takeaway. We keep meaning to try it, but it's a bit of a drive from the other end of Ag Steph in the evening (well, a bit of a drive back after a good evening!)

- Don't know boat hire rates, I'm afraid.

Have a great time - look forward to hearing more on this site maybe?

Yammas, David
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 7:51pm
Paulaf the weather towards the end of June is fabulous - may be worth just taking a cardigan/sweater for evenings just in case of a breeze on those suntanned arms. I cannot give you a view on the restaurants as I know Kalami better but can confirm that Dimitris is still there (on the main road above Kalami) with superb views over the bay - presume it is the same place.
If you go into the tourist office there are generally leaflets with prices for boat hire. I think you are looking at about 40/50 euro per day plus the fuel used.

Lin-tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lin-tee Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 8:15pm
Hi, as the others have said the fare is similar in all five tavernas and most regulars seem to have their favourites - often down to the relationship they have formed with the staff rather than the quality of the food.  Our own personal favourite is Kochili mainly because we have never felt pressured to go inside whereas running the gauntlet past the others can be quite daunting!  The 'new' one, Ta Fagopotion, is smaller than the others and the claim is that the food is more authentic.  We ate there once and the food was, indeed, wonderful but we did leave feeling that we had finished up with a bigger bill than we had anticipated due to being encouraged to 'try' various specialities.  We always use the one at Kerasia for at least one lunch - the setting is superb and it is worth reserving a waterside table.  Whichever you use you will be dining in paradise so it doesn't really matter.  We are there in 10 days so will warm it up for you.  Enjoy!
Frilly View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frilly Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 8:22pm
Both Tavernas in Avlaki are lovely ...its very quiet and peaceful there in the evenings in June. We havent had evening meal at Barbaro only lunches which were good ...our favourite is Avlaki Taverna and they use a lot of veg from their own garden which Im sure a lot of tavernas do. You will enjoy every meal wherever you choose ...we are off on 31st May ...happy holidays
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 9:58pm
Sitting here in Kaparelli Taverna reading this post makes me smile. Martyn G is on the next table to us, that said, as has been said, its all a personal choice, just to say the previous comments about Fagapotion are a familiar expression regards the bill.
Love Kerassia and Kaparelli, we use Galini when Kaparelli is closed at start and end of season.
A boat is a must, at the moment prices are negotiable.
At this very moment we are sitting outside for the first time without a cardy, so by June just bring a light one for insurance.
Bob
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Mrmorty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mrmorty Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 10:46pm
Went to Galini last week for a steak...spot on and at the right price for the quality of the food

Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 1:40am
We were in the village last night there was a a stiff cool breeze from the sea, so the screens were down so the visitors could eat outside at Kaparelli and Gallini.
By the way a howling gale up here in the mountains tonight, knocking our tender plants to destruction and nothing we can do to protect them.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Mikeyt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeyt Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 12:30pm
Currently (7th June 2013) it's around 20C of an evening but the breeze can be quite cooling so it's wise to pack something for your shoulders of a evening.

Galini has always been fantastic for food, general chit chat and price but everyone is friendly so try them and you will soon get a favourite. We walk past the Taverna owners every night and they all say hello and wave even if we are stopping elsewhere so don't let it put you off going for a walk before dinner.

Have a great trip - I will be jealous as we will have returned back to the UK by then. Still 3 more nights of this little bit of paradise.
Paulaf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulaf Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 12:34pm
Thanks everyone, glad to see the weather is now improving and the temperatures rising. We last went 10 years ago and I remember it being very warm.
Enjoy the rest of your hols Mikeyt!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic