'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Paleokastritsa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Finally Chose Paleo

Paleokastritsa, Corfu

Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardine Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally Chose Paleo
    Posted: 09 May 2013 at 3:48pm
Hello all
After much searching and mulling over we finally chose a holiday in Paleo, this was over Arillas, Kassiopi & Kalami so I hope Paleo shows us a good but relaxing time.
We have been to Lakka on Paxos the last couple of years but we fancied somewhere different and a bit cheaper and with less chance of having to spend a night in Kavos because the transfer got messed up!! Tongue

I've had some good advice on the area from Trip Advisor and done a bit of research myself, am looking forward to discovering the delights of the local beaches, food & drink, an extra hint or tip from anyone would be more than welcomed!

We're staying at the Belvedere from 20th September for 1 week, and we're thinking of hiring a car, preferably a small Jeep for a day or two, I've looked on one or two websites but they seem a bit steep 170euro for 2 days on one site, call me a skinflint if you like!
Any tips on a place we might be able to hire for a better price? We don't mind an older car as long as the hire Co is fair & reliable.

Thanks in advanceSmile
3 'o'clock is always to late or too early for anything you want to do - Jean Paul Sartre
Joefish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joefish Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 6:05pm
First, congratulations on making the right choice of Paleokastritsa. Clap
The Belvedere has fantastic views and a very welcoming family who run it.

Second, as Nikos' brother Aris in the restaurant will tell you, don't worry - there's more than enough in and around Paleo for a week, so long as you don't mind a bit of walking.  Both ends of the resort have access to beaches and great restaurants.

There's a path opposite the top end of the Belvedere's apartments that leads up the hill on a green shady donkey path to the views of Lakones (just keep going up), and left from there a fairly level walk (except for the dip at the end) takes you through some nice little places until you end up at the Angelokastro.

The harbour end of town is the obvious place for access to the beaches and monastery, but also look out for the smaller diving beach behind.  At "t'other" end of the resort is a path to the Acapulco bar and steps down to the sea, where it's a short swim to Liapades' Gefira beach (a long walk round otherwise).  Also look out for La Grotta bar, set in the cliff behind the headland of the huge Akrotiri Beach Hotel.  But right below the Belvedere is a short, shady, pebbly beach.

It's worth taking a bus one day into Corfu town.  Even better to stay late into the night and get a taxi back (€35 last year).  And other excursions or local boat trips might tempt you.

I wouldn't bother with a car or setting yourself the impossible task of trying to see the whole of Corfu in one week.
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 3:01am
Agree with Joefish, Paleo is a great choice. we stayed at the Belvedere in September a few years ago and loved it. The apartments are down a short but fairly steep path that also leads to the Dolphin taverna and a small but quiet beach with great snorkelling. The local snorkelling club meets at the Belvedere bar. The food at the Belvedere is also some of the best in Paleo, but you are spoiled for choice. If you are there in September you may well bump into Paleogirl in the pool bar who knows pretty much all there is to know about the area.

A trip into Corfu town is a must and Joefish's suggestion is spot on as the bus service ends a little early in the day, there is masses to see there, most of it just involves strolling and looking at the beautiful areas of the city. Would head for Rouvas for lunch, its near M&S.

If you do feel you need to get out and about rather than just chilling in Paleo we use a hire company on the internet economycarhire they are actually based in Norfolk but act as agents and best of all they offer cars from major hirers but with no additional local insurance or excess payments if you should have a prang. as a Greek friend put it " if i bring the car back in a carrier bag I pay nothing more!"

There is far too much to see on Corfu in a week, and Paleo and the surrounding area has so much to offer, so I would certainly just pick an area to cover in a day or two and leave the rest for your next visit, because you will be back.

Have a great time.
its nice to be important but its more important to be nice
Jules 162 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules 162 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 5:50pm
Hi Nardine, good choice of Paleo, we are returning this year after going a few years ago and cant wait to return on 9th June.

We earlier this week booked a car for 11 nights with Top Cars, we got 10% discount after quoting we are members on this site and we only want a basic car but got it for 220 euros.

www.topcars.gr/

We had the booking confirmation within a few hours and they have confirmed that their are no hidden extras to the cost and to pay on arrival.

We stayed at the Belevedere and you will be made most welcome my Nikos and his family as we were. Views from the pool area are stunning and even better when you are there. Studios are basic but we had a wonderful view which was all we wanted. 

My partner and I ate at lot down the steps to the Dolphin, family food, wonderful views over the bay and very inexpensive.

We enjoyed whilst in Paleo walking up to the monastery (we arrived when it had closed for their siesta) had a wonderful lunch in the tavern at the top and as soon as it opened before the coaches turned up we wizzed around. Such a worth while walk and we plan to do the same again in June.

jules

Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardine Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 3:58pm
All
Thank you so much! I admit I was a wee bit weary of The Belvedere as the reviews are a bit up 'n' down, but I was willing to take the plunge, I have read only good things about the attached taverna, so all of your comments are most welcome & soothing!
We are just going to explore the local area if we get a car, thinking of going up the coast and across to the likes of Kassiopi and such, and I had very much intended to bus it into Corfu town having only seen it through a coach window on the way to the port then on the way from the port to Kavos I'm looking forward to checking it out, although as you probably all know, the best laid plans go to waste when you're on holiday, I might not be able to tear myself away from the beach.
Thank you Rocdoc & Jules for the car hire info/links

Joefish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joefish Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 2:32pm
The reviews of a lot of Greek family places can vary enormously.  Some people expect full hotel service from even the smallest family-run places, and are shocked to find there's no TV, air-conditioning or underpaid migrant staff to shout at.  Some people might not be able to hold it together if the power goes off for a few minutes or the hot water runs out.  Some people might find a Greek family welcome overbearing.

Most sensible people can't wait to go back again and again, as especially at the Belvedere Nikos and Aris and their families are such wonderful hosts; the views from every room are breathtaking; it's never really too hot; and there's a pool and a cool bay to swim in right on the doorstep.
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 6:30pm
Haha Joefish no migrant workers indeed.
I'm not fussy and pretty much know what to expect but when it's your first visit you do (or I do) rely heavily on the reviews.
We've stayed at Bastas in Lakka, Paxos the last couple of years, we like the place very much but some reviews of it are awful, the Bastas family also have a renowned taverna on a beach a mile or so out of town so. It sounds like a similar place to the Belvedere.
People just don't get the Greek way, one loo roll, pay for air con and so on. My personal favourite is when people take the time to photograph a cracked bit of wood on the stairs and post it on Trip Advisor, really have you got nothing better to do on your hols!?!
3 'o'clock is always to late or too early for anything you want to do - Jean Paul Sartre
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 1:49am
Quite agree Nardine, I've seen an apartment owner desperatelly worried by a couple of bad reviews on tripadvisor put there by a husband and wife who got the hump about some minor problem and set about trying to destroy his business. Their comments cost him half a star, his no.1 position in the resort, and it really mattered to him. Over the next two weeks his happy customers put the record straight and restored his star. Some of the complaints I've seen have been unbelievably petty, rather worn sheets, no toaster, only two rings to cook a Sunday lunch on!!! I mean really?? For me a kettle is a bonus, and I dont even check if the two rings work, I'm on holiday. I have no trouble sleeping the ouzo takes care of that!!Wacko
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 2:18pm
Hey Rocdoc, I hear ya! To be fair my fella likes the rings to work cos he likes cooking himself up strange little fried sandwiches but laughing at him is as close as I get to cooking on holiday.
Of course the little touches do make it nice, the softer bed, a shower curtain, a kettle instead of a milk pan but I don't really care if it's not there, someone else can make me a coffee and some poached egg on toast thankyouverymuch Smile
I'll be honest about my reviews, if there's something I don't like I will say, if I can give people a tip "take your own tea towel & dish sponge" I will, if I can be contructive in any criticism again I will be, If I have a problem I'll ask for it to be sorted, I am not going to go taking photo's of the odd grubby shower tile, a broken bit of step or leaves in the pool, it would be taking up far too much valuable and hard earned R&R time.
It's the rakki that knocks me out for the night Wink
Joefish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 2:23am
I always find that sort of review says a lot more about the person who's stayed there than the place itself - which is probably why I tend not to volunteer too many reviews myself!

But I do tend to go on and post positives if I think someone's being unfair.  I did a while ago have a go at reporting several reviews I'd come across for places I'd been in Greece where some genuinely libelous remarks had been left about proprietors.
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 2:45am
Yup that'll do it for me too Nardine! You need have no worries about the Belvedere, the apartments are nice and cool, and the views are lovely, plus you have great hosts in Nikos and Aris.
Avva Mou View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avva Mou Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 3:10am
People moan on TripAdvisor but don't bother to complain at the time. I have almost got put off going somewhere due to bad reviews, then got there and wondered what they were all moaning about. 
Ann
Jules 162 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules 162 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 1:14pm
I think Trip Advisor is so misleading and the problem is it does in a lot of cases put people off booking and can destroy someones lively hood.

Those sad people whom complain and take the various pictures of cracks in walls, wonky plug sockets, showers and toilets really shouldn't be allowed out of the UK in my view.

Greece is what it is and if they researched where they are travelling prior they will know the what the quality of rooms are, funny but found a review the other day where a couple were horrified that they didn't have a bath and only had a small shower unit!!

They must have thought they were travelling 5* and not the studio that they had booked.

Same couple complained about not having a fully fitted kitchen and how were they expected to go self catering when they only had a fridge and 2 cooking rings.

For myself and Dean we love the 2 cooking rings, we have great fun trying to knock up a few dinners when we don't feel like eating out, its amazing what you can do.

A while back I worked for an online travel agent and definitely found that people want a 5* holiday on a 2* budget, and as we know it just doesn't work like that.

For me Greece is 5*!!! on and the Metaxa 5* is good too!!

Kevbolol58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevbolol58 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 3:18pm
Hi All,

How nice to see a whole group of people with the same attitude to Greece and all it's wonderful aspects and eccentricities as me Tongue.

I agree the sorts of reviews we are talking about often reflect more on the poster than the hotel/restaurant/resort being reviewed. I also agree that there are an awful lot of people who pay 2*prices and expect 5* standards. I remember being in Santorini in 1984 and going on a Greek evening up in the hills and talking to a lady who had booked a last-minute cheap week not knowing anything about the island. She had a long list of complaints that she recited to me for about an hour, but the main one was that there wasn't a McDonaldsConfused. She had been to Benidorm the year before and couldn't understand why it wasn't more like that. I just mumbled vague agreement and didn't have the heart to tell her that me and Mrs Kev thought that we had landed up in Paradise.

I have seen dreadful reviews for places I have stayed or eaten and just cannot understand how people could have (and post) these opinions. This is Greece and it's beautiful and the people are as hospitable as can be and the welcome usually has to be experienced to be understood.

It says a lot about the Greek people that in their language the word for stranger (xenos) is the same word as for guest.

Kev

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevbolol58 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 3:19pm
Forgot to say that I use Tripadvisor extensively but have found it's best to discount the more extreme reviews and focus on the more moderate ones and look at what the majority of opinions are saying.
Jules 162 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 10:38am
Totally agree Kevbol, I use trip advisor all the time and always find is useful to cross check against what the brochure or web page says about the accommodation, location, facilities etc

Also find other travellers pictures heplful, don't want to be blinded by the glossy pictures that the brochures or web site shows like to see if how I would see it, obviously not the cracks in walls, insects, toilets etc.

Try also to be honest in my reviews I put on but not everyone likes the same thing.

As for Santorini, been myself and its a stunning scenic country, we loved it but if people don't do their research then they really shouldn't moan and groan.

A few years back booked Kalymnos, we wanted to go to a Greek Island that you had to travel by boat and somewhere a little more remote, couldn't stop laughing at the young couple whom booked a cheap allocation on arrival, they didn't do their research as the deal said Kos/Kalymnos, hey ho they wanted the night life in Kos!

They complained that the food was all Greek and no English food, not everyone spoke English, no McDonalds the list was endless.

The poor rep had 2 weeks of them requesting to go home.. and in their words it was the worst holiday they had ever had. Kalymnos is wonderful but we didn't have the heart to tell them we had found a gem of a place.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 8:41pm
Hi Jules,
Couldn't agree more about Kalymnos - we stayed at the Kantouni Beach Hotel with our 1-year old daughter in 1993 and absolutely loved the place. The tavernas also had some of the best traditional Greek food I have ever had. My daughter being so young and blond was the focus of attention for all the Greek people who all wanted to cuddle her and pat her on the head (something about good luck), which made us feel so welcome.

This was also our first Greek holiday after I had started Greek evening classes and I remember saying to Mrs Kev when I came back from my first trip to the mini-market that I had "just spent £15 in Greek". The look on the face of the old lady minding the till was an absolute picture when I started asking (in Greek) if they had any sugar and where the olive oil was, etc. Sadly I am very rusty these days but will try to do a bit of revision before our hols to Corfu in July.

Kev
Rocdoc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 1:58am
Its my favorite island so far. We first went in 2003 and fell in love with it, we resisted returning as we did not want to spoil the memory, but we did return last September and we were overjoyed to find it even better than we remembered. Kostas and his lovely wife at the Rock and Blues bar genuinely remembered us and our hostess Norma was amazing when I discovered that I had left some of my heart medication at home, calling her doctor, my doctor in England, a pharmacy and arranging a taxi for me to pick it up in Pothia.
The new road has opened up parts of the island that were previously almost impossible to reach. We got to try Marinos taverna in Panormos on Normas recomendation, which serves beautifully prepared Kalymnian specialties. If you do go back and decide to try it you should go at lunch time as all the dishes are gone by dinner time. Our favorite taverna was in Melitsahas near the fishing port her food is amazing. 
The hospitality and philoxenia we experienced on Kalymnos actually moved me to tears. We were stood at a bus stop in Melitsahas late on our last night when a woman pulled up in her car and offered us a lift back to Kantouni, on the way she said that we must think it strange her giving us a lift, we thanked her and told her that on our last visit something very similar had happened, and that her kindness had made our return perfect. I'm kinda soft that way.Embarrassed
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 2:52pm
The unfortunate thing with Trip Advisor is that a lot of people only go on there to complain not to praise, and you're all right that people just don't research where they're going which never ceases to amaze me.
Maybe I'm OTT with my research, this will be only my 3rd trip to Greece/The Islands but before my first trip I knew to expect 1 loo roll, to put loo roll in the bin, no shower curtain (although there was one), no kettle and so on, it took me half an hour to work that out, I can't understand why people would pay a few hundred quid on a holiday and have no clue about where they're going.
I love the fact that there's no McDonalds or Starbucks and honestly if I see chicken nuggets on a menu I'm off mate Big smile I do give the old smug head shake when people complain about such things as no English food, and Peter Kayes skit comes to mind "Garlic bread?? Garlic...and bread?? I don't want none o that foreign muck"
But everyone's different, one of my very dearest friends would hate going to a 2* self catering hotel it would be her version of holiday hell!
Nardine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:49pm
Hi everyone
About this time tomorrow I'll be in the airport bar putting a smug status on Facebook :)
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice, hints & tips.
Fingers crossed for good weather and a stress free journey.
I'll write up a trip report upon my return. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic