'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Holiday Costs 2013

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holiday Costs 2013
    Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 11:19am
Corfu features about mid-way in a new report comparing holiday costs for  visitors http://www.postoffice.co.uk/sites/default/files/Holiday_Money_Report_Barometer_2013.pdf

This report has also been featured on national TV and many people will no doubt be attracted by the cheapness of  Spain, Portugal etc where business owners have reduced prices to keep customers coming in. It does not state where in Corfu the prices were obtained.  I suspect Corfu town!!!

The list is a very brief summary of 10 items on a typical visitors spending list and is given in £s.  Interestingly Corfu is quite expensive on certain individual items but gains on meals eaten out. Obviously the variations are huge and individually there are no obvious conclusions (at least to my simple mind).
Anyway I shall certainly keep visiting Agios Georgios north in Corfu rather than saving spending money with other Brits on  the Costas!!! Thumbs Up

Dennis
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 12:22pm
Funny that every year the P.O issue the costs of holidays, but when I turn up in Greece the actual cost bear no resemblance.Ermm
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Trisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trisa Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 12:45pm
Interestingly, I see that Corfu is cheaper than Blackpool!

Another reason for you to visit!
Razaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razaker Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 1:31pm
I was in Portugal 2 weeks ago & can assure you price wise Corfu is better all round value wether be drink or meals, mind taxis where very reasonble in Lisbon
The only differance between me and a madman ;is im not mad,
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 2:18pm
Interesting - but the cynic in me asks how could the Post Office possibly work out these prices (for Corfu) since the tourist industry doesn't really get going for at least another two weeks.

Martyn
Wazzer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 4:03pm

Went through all this Post Office report thing last year, I was shocked by the prices shown and it turned out to be very inexpensive everywhere! The whole thing is a total waste of time.

If the prices where double those shown for Corfu, I would still go anyway!Tongue
Daveneil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveneil Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:52pm
Any where is cheaper than Blackpool.
3 weeks to go till Paradise.              
TOPCHEFWOODIE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOPCHEFWOODIE Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 9:09pm
Its CRAZY. Pointless comparisons are impossable. Like when people ask "How much will I spend???" Depends WHAT you buy!!!
Same depends where you dine, what you order, what You drink, how much you drink!! and on!!
Depends where on the island you stay.
What's the point in these purile questions and survey's.
Its LIKE LIFE! ITS ALL UP TO YOU!
Enjoy whatever you can. It's A ONE WAY TICKET! and you don't know where the journey ENDS!!!
YAMAS.
Woodie!
JUST DO IT! MAKE LIFE BETTER.MAKE FOR KALAMI,CORFU
GJJW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJJW Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:25am
"Anywhere is cheaper than Blackpool"

Sorry, but that has to be one of the most ridiculous, misguided and ill informed statements I have ever heard!  
GJJW
Tangerine till I die!
WeeMinx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeMinx Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:08pm
I'm with you Woodie.  Life is too short and you only get one shot at it so spend, spend, spend because if you don't your children will spend if for you.

Annie
Once seen, never forgotten!
Flynnmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flynnmo Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 1:22pm
Hi Wee Minx, not seen you since the Glasgow Greek Night. Hope you're both well? Have you been back to Corfu lately? We're off 4 weeks today. Nice to see you again.   Moyra
Jules 162 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules 162 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 12:40pm
Can believe this post office report, Portugal is defo not cheap!!

Paid 8 euros for a gin and tonic!!

Never paid that much in Greece ever, even with their vat increases, am sure paid at max Ive paid 6 euros and that was right in a stunning location in Santorini where you would expect to pay more.

However, can vouch that Spain is cheap, had a week in March in Costa del Sol and supermarkets, meals and drinks were all very reasonable and cheaper than Greece.

Alehouse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alehouse Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 4:01pm
What a load of rubbish for the place, company, views and atmostphere. What price can you put on that?
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 6:06pm
As Martyn says the season has only just started in Corfu, so where the hell did the Post Office get their price comparisons from? Out of the ether I assume. x
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Mistert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mistert Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 6:00pm
How can saying that opinion about Blackpool is misinformed when the poster is from very close to Blackpool. Anyway I went to Blackpool a few years ago and was very unnerved walking down the street, there was an all pervading aura of menace as if it was about to "kick off" any minute whilst walking down any street in anywhere Corfu you only feel safe and welcome. I can't wait to move there.
Frank
GJJW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJJW Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 9:31am
How can saying that opinion about Blackpool is misinformed when the poster is from very close to Blackpool. Anyway I went to Blackpool a few years ago and was very unnerved walking down the street, there was an all pervading aura of menace as if it was about to "kick off" any minute whilst walking down any street in anywhere Corfu you only feel safe and welcome. I can't wait to move there.

Well, I live in Fleetwood which is 6 miles outside Blackpool. You can get a pint for 1.99 and 2 meals for £6.00.
I travel all over the country and I can assure you that most places in Britain alone are more expensive than Blackpool.
Also, I don't believe the thread was about how "safe" you feel in a resort, but how expensive it is.
Blackpool has it's good and bad areas like anywhere, but to call it "more expensive than anywhere", especially from someone who lives near it, is not doing the town or area any good.
How can we on one hand have a go at the Post Office for being misinformed about Corfu, and on the other blataltanty post flipant and untrue remarks about Blackpool?
Hypocrites anyone?

GJJW
Tangerine till I die!
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 9:47am
Blackpool's OK, after all we did a Kassiopi reunion there.Thumbs UpBeerHandshake
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic