'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > Corfu Town
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Corfu Palace Hotel

Corfu Town, Corfu

Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ΝΤΕΜΠΟΡΑ Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corfu Palace Hotel
    Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 7:59pm
Hi
We are visiting Corfu early June and wanted to know about the Corfu Palace Hotel - how far away it is from the centre of Corfu Town if we walked.  What the hotel is like - pools etc and (as if that wasn't enough) if there are any tavernas nearby that we can eat at as we're only B&B at the hotel.

Thanks in anticipation.

Deb
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 1:58pm
The Corfu Palace is in a great location overlooking the sea and just on the edge of the town. 10 minutes walk at most from the Liston and shops. I have never stayed that but am told the hotel is a little tired but obviously trying to update with the addition of the spa and pool. Plenty of choice of bars/restaurants. Also just 10 minute taxi ride from the airport so easy to get to. Enjoy Smile 
Beside the sea all worries wash away!!
ΝΤΕΜΠΟΡΑ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ΝΤΕΜΠΟΡΑ Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 6:02pm
Hi Sue,

Thanks.  I have read some reviews about the place - hence the B&B option but had no idea how close it was to Corfu Town centre.  We are planning on walking one way each day and get the bus back.  Never been to Corfu before and really looking forward to it. 

Some sites show the hotel has 2 saltwater pools and some show it as having 1 saltwater and 1 freshwater, hence my query.  The hotel hasn't replied to my email!

Deb

Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 6:29pm
Cannot help with the pool query I'm afraid. Suggest if you can get a boat up to the north east of the island (Agni/Kalami/Kaloura area) you should go for it. Corfu town is lovely and very old but you would need transport to see the other areas on the island. How long are you visiting for?
ΝΤΕΜΠΟΡΑ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 12:00pm
Hi,

We're going for 8 days. Will definitely look into visiting other parts of Corfu. Heard that the north east was lovely just after we'd booked! Typical. We went to Rhodes a few years ago and got the bus all over the place. It was great. We were in Falaraki (just at the start of the season) and just slept there really.

Deb

Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 2:00pm
How do you feel about driving on Corfu. The roads are very twisty and narrow in parts but it is a lovely drive over the hills to towards Kalami. There are also buses to Kassiopi but they do not stop in a lot of the villages enroute (ie. Kalami/Kaloura/St Stepanos) but on the main roads above which will leave you a fair trek down. 
Corfufan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corfufan Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 9:31pm
Hi,
We have stayed here nearly every year for the past 8 years and are staying again this year. If you want somewhere quiet, peaceful and relaxing, this is your place. There is one outdoor pool - saltwater - and we have always got a sunbed - there is certianly no scrum!! The pool is wonderful and the whole ambiance great. The drinks and food are great, although pricey, so you need to be aware of that though there are plenty of places nearby. There is also an indoor pool attached to the spa but we have never gone in there. The rooms could be considered a little outdated, but there are flat screens in each room and you don't stay in the room much anyway - they are kept very clean and there is always hot water.  We walk into Corfu town every morning the long way around - and that takes about 15 minutes but a lovely walk up a tree-lined road - the short way you could do in 5 - 10 minutes but its uphill. Either way, its walkable and we walk into the town morning and evening.

Breakfast is brilliant with fresh oranges to make juice, hot and cold selection, and plenty to choose from all beautifully cooked. All the staff we have met are great too - very friendly and can't do enough to help you.
However, I would say if you have young children there isn't much for them to do - there are no children's clubs but there is a small childrens pool and table tennis - but that's about it and so it is a hotel for adults (usually older adults) the majority.  

There are tavernas either way - walking down to the town and many up the side roads leading up from the waterfront where you can stop for a drink, a snack or a meal - you are spoiled for choice.  Many people we know who stay here go B&B. Hope you enjoy it if you do decide to stay there - its great.
ΝΤΕΜΠΟΡΑ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:22am
Hi Sue,

Yes we'll give the driving a go. I had an idea that the buses stopped at a lot of stops enroute with it only being a smallish island...but why would they? Thanks, will definitely look into hiring a car.

Deb
ΝΤΕΜΠΟΡΑ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:31am

Hi Corfufan,

We are staying at the Corfu Holiday Palace.  There have been so many bad reviews I've read since we booked that I was beginning to think we'd made a huge mistake, so thanks for your positive one and the info about walking into town and the pool. 

We have a daughter so thought it best to go B&B in order to go out and do things so she won't get too bored.  She has never been a fan of holiday clubs.

Thanks also about the tip re the food being expensive.  We did think we would have a meal on one of the theme nights but we'll have to see how much it is.

How steep is the shorter walk?

Deb
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:40pm
ERR? The Corfu Holiday Palace is not The Corfu Palace Hotel.
A bit of confusion I think.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:19pm
Oooerr - I didn't know there were two. The one I presumed was the Corfu Palace immediately on the seafront. I am so so sorry if I am wrong!! Embarrassed Where is the Corfu Holiday Palace?
Graham T-A View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham T-A Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 12:30am
The other one in in Kanoni near to the end of the runway where the causeway is. About 2 miles from the town.  There is another one about 5 miles north of the town just beyond Gouvia called the Grecotel Eva Palace which is also sometimes referred to as the Palace hotel.
ΝΤΕΜΠΟΡΑ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 11:05am

You and me both Sue!  Oh my oh my!  We are staying at the one in Kanoni, The Corfu Holiday Palace...aaarghh!  Thanks for pointing that out.  Two miles out? 

So Bob and Graham have either of you ever stayed there?  Been there?  Walked it?  I think I need to start a new thread...or get a map! 
Graham T-A View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham T-A Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 11:30am
We have not stayed at any of them but have visited them all to rescue cats. The one in Kanoni that you are staying at used to be the Corfu Hilton until about 10 years ago and was one of the first holiday hotels to be built on Corfu. Although it is a couple of miles from the town and in a very hilly area there are lots of buses as this is a very residential area where many Corfiots live who work in the town. There are a couple of tavernas across the road and a shop about half a mile away. Just below is the best viewing place for the airport and Mouse Island where there are a couple of cafes and there is another one if you walk down the path to the end of the runway. We visit the area often when in Corfu as our vet is just along the road. There is, if I remember correctly, a cable car which takes you down to the semi private beach.

P.S. looking at the holiday reviews you are not the only ones to get confused about which is the Corfu Palace and which is the Corfu Holiday Palace.  Many of the reviews are in the wrong hotel section.
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 12:09pm
Maybe the best idea is to hire a car and use it as a base if you are not happy. Parking in Corfu town itself is a nightmare but there are plenty of beautiful beaches and places to visit within 1 hour drive. The roads should not be too busy in early June. Suggest one day you should head to Kalami/Kaoloura and then end up in Kassiopi which your daughter will probably enjoy as they are a lot of local shops plus a harbour .. Other days could be Old Perithia, Paleokonstrista - the list is endless. Of course there is also Kavos!!
ΝΤΕΜΠΟΡΑ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 1:06pm
Graham,

Many thanks!  Good job I found out now rather than after arrival early morning and turning up at the wrong place!  No wonder the Corfu Palace never answered my email! 

Sue, I think that will end up being the best bet as then we can see a lot more and get the most out of our stay.  Thanks for the tip re Corfu Town being really busy.  We can get the bus there and back when we go there and then travel further afield in the car.

Deb

Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 1:15pm
Enjoy Big smile
ΝΤΕΜΠΟΡΑ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 1:20pm
Thanks Sue.  Can't wait! 

Deb
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 5:53pm
Try and go next door and ask Sylvia Steen to show you her magnificent botanic garden- the third largest ficus tree in the world, and a very rare 900 year old lemon eucalyptus- also some of the Skyrian ponies are still there, even though some have moved over to Silvaland- also a lovely old shire horse she rescued from an Englishman who severely maltreated him.
ΝΤΕΜΠΟΡΑ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 11:29pm
Next door to the Corfu Holiday Palace at Kanoni?  If so which way next door?  I will most definitely, love horses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic