'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

2013 Taverna Opening Dates

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzipoo Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Taverna Opening Dates
    Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:51pm
I have impulsively booked a flight to Corfu today arriving on Easter Monday which is 1st April. I know that the holiday season does not really start until May, and am a little worried about things being shut. We plan to stay in the North East and are looking at Agios Stefanos, Kaminaki, Avlaki, Barbati. We will have a car but would rather not drive in the evening as we would like wine with our meal. Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:16pm
Hi,
You would probably be better looking at Kassiopi (NE) or Acharavi (N) especially as you don't want to drive as I don't think that the resorts that you have mentioned will be up and running by then (sorry don't know Barbati). 
I think you would find more restaurants open in Acharavi however there will be some in Kassopi too.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Tfg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfg Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:44am
There will be a few places open in Roda as well which is close to Acharavi, we went last year and arrive on the Saturday before you this year. Be flexible and you will have great time
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 1:38am
I agree with Elliemay, Acharavi and Kassiopi would be the best bet in the NE, elsewhere other tavernas will be open on a random basis at weekends, but you would be stuck if they decided not to open.
Have a great time, we will be arriveing on the 18th.
I know of some that are open all the time but out of the way so driving or a long stagger would be required.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Jimmy H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy H Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 12:13am
Unless you're quite hardy you might want to give some thought to booking accommodation with heating, it can be quite nippy in April.
Bev D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bev D Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 6:58pm
Have to agree with Tfg, in Roda some of the Tavernas are open all year round, likewise Acharavi and some in Sidari. They cater for the locals that have time to relax before the tourists arrive. Bev
Kinninviekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:21pm
Easter Monday in Kassiopi there will be a procession through the village at 6pm.
There will be plenty of tavernas and restaurants open.

Bob n Rosey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinninviekid Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:22pm
I should point out that the above video is from Good Friday not Monday..
Bob n Rosey
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:47pm
Plus the fact that Lizziepoo is arriving on British Easter Monday so there will be no procession!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:54pm
Ahhhh...
Bob n Rosey
Lizzipoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzipoo Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:00pm
Yes - Unfortunately I will be arriving on British Easter Monday, not the Greek one, which looks like great fun. Until two days ago, I did not realise that they were not the same! Thanks for all of your responses. I have also e-mailed a couple of tavernas - I don't think we'll go hungry, but we may have to drive to a restaurant in the evening, as we are quite taken with Agios Stephanos as it looks so pretty. We can always have a bottle of wine back at the villa and look at the views from there...
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:10pm
Lizzi there are two Ag. Stephanos. The one in the NW is larger and has a sandy beach whilst NE is a smaller fishing village (pebble beach). Make sure you book the correct one.

Lizzipoo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 12:10am
Thanks Sue. It's the NE one that appeals to me, but I realise that eating opportunities are going to be limited.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 12:18am
Personally i would definitely opt for somewhere larger where there is a local population. Kassiopi is as pretty as Ag. Stefanos but has many more locals living there so there will be more going on.  You can always go along to smaller places for a meal if you want. April weather can be lovely, and can also be dire, and even a superb view is not as enjoyable through a thick shower of rain and heavy clouds, great if you can sit on the balcony, but you will be very lucky to be able to do that in early April. I would try Diana Manessi's flats on the edge of the harbour, looking across at the castle. You will find her website easily, and she is also on some of the usual ones like Owners Direct.
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 3:48pm
Hi Lizziepoo,
Have you contacted any of the restaurants in Ag. Stephanos NE as I would be very surprised if any of them will be open early April.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue Avrio Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 6:33pm
Lizzie you will probably have to head into Kassiopi to eat. Although the Tavernaki should be open. When you turn right from the main road towards Ag Stephanos (just past the cake shop) the Tavernaki is the very small restaurant immediately on your right (before the small roundabout thingy - you will see what I mean)!! 
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 6:42pm
Hi Sue,
Are you sure that Tavernaki will be open as it was closed this winter as one of the ladies was having a baby.
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Lizzipoo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 9:16pm
Tavernaki have responded to my e-mail and tell me that they open on 30/3 from 6pm each evening. Is this walking distance from centre of Agios Stephanos?

The reason why I did not look at Kassiopi originally is that it sounded a bit 'touristy' on the internet eg bars, discos, karaoke, which is not my scene - I like peace and quiet, local people and local rustic food. Maybe I misjudged the place - I'd welcome others' opinions...
Sue Avrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 10:12pm
It depends where you are staying Lizzi.  Ag. Steph has very hilly and windy streets so what looks like a short distance could be quite a trek. Would definately fit your ideal from May onwards but could be very quiet in April. Have you looked at any accomodation yet?
If you are looking at walking to local bars/tavernas in the area before May 1st may be worth considering Kassiopi. 
Personally love the whole area out season but find ourselves eating late afternoon when we may be out and about and spending the evening on the terrace with light snack and bottle Smile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 11:57pm
Whilst Kassiopi is livelier 'in season' I think you would find it perfect for your early break
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic