'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Must See/Do

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jance Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Must See/Do
    Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 10:12pm
Hi peeps, sunny day today so started thinking about hols. As a newbee what and where MUST we visit on Corfu? Have started to look but a little insider info is always very welcome. June 10th seems a little nearer after a sunny day. 
StarMel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StarMel Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 9:01am
Hi Jance!
That's all depends on your taste and time you haveSmile Corfu offers all leisure from museums to night clubs and from taverns to fancy rooftop restaurants. Devote a day for Corfu Town of course as it is a heart of the island. Take a ride to Paleokastritsa, rise to Angelocastro. Visit Sidari with it's Canal d'Amour and sandstone rocks. Laze about in the sun on the sloping beach in Kassiopi. Ascent to Pantocrator Mountain to enjoy stunning panoramas. Attend Empress Sissi palace Achilleion  and then drop in to Shell Museum in Benitses...
That are only few points I could remember at once. Wink
Dennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 10:33am
Where are you staying and do you intend to hire your own transport?
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 11:54am
I think a must, is a trip up Old Perithia Thumbs Up
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Weststekker View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Weststekker Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 1:39pm
If visiting Corfu Town, try to visit the small island of Vidos. A small ferry runs every hour from Spilla.

Yammas, Colin.
Your Wish is my Command Master.
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 1:50pm

Parga, Paxos is a good trip. It's a long day but well worth it.

Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Lindybell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lindybell Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 3:14pm
What about the monastory in Paleokastritsa? Thats well worth a visit!
I just love that Corfu feeling!
Vangerover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vangerover Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 7:35pm
One of the best days we ever had in Corfu was a boat trip up the noth east coast in a caique. Smile
another Mythos? well, just to be sociable!
Jance View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jance Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 7:48pm
Hi Dennis, we are staying at Villa Anthoussa in Paleo, and yes we will have a hire car.  Thanks for the reply by the way.
Jance View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jance Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 7:50pm
Hi Colin, thanks for the info. Do these ferries run all day? Is it expensive and how long is the crossing please.
Gill B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gill B Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 11:37pm
We did the trip to Vidos last year and it was 2 euros each way, the boats were about every half hour.  Its worth the walk to the Serbian war memorial on the island.

I love Corfu Town and a good wander around the back streets, plus lunch in a nice taverna!!
Gill
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 12:51am
I agree about visiting old Perithia and just driving around some of the inland village, see the old Corfu away from the tourists

On a hot day I would recommend a visit to Mon Repos, south of the airport, the grounds are wonderful on a hot day, shaded and peaceful and the views out to sea and of Corfu town must be seen

The museum is good too if you like that sort of thing but I also really enjoyed looking round the excavations both inside and outside the walls of Mon Repos, there are so few ancient remains which have been found in Corfu this makes for an interesting change

From there you can take the top road to the top and enjoy a coffee  from the taverna overlooking Mouse Island, watch the planes land and take off and enjoy the cool breeze

GJJW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GJJW Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:00am
How about Corfu brewery in Arillas.
The tour and beer samples are free!
I went last year and it's really good if you are interested in
beer/local Corfiot products.
Could also visit Arillas and Agios Stephanos at the same time.
Whatever you do, please enjoy.
It's a magical island with so much to do.
GJJW
Tangerine till I die!
Boblil4550 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boblil4550 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:29am
Hi,
You must have one night in Costa's Bar in Kassiopi from about 10pm, what a brilliant
show they put on, you will go more than once after you have seen the show???
Yammas  
life is not a rehearsal live it to the full !!!!!!!!!!
Terry W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry W Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 12:24pm
Thumbs Up Jance, you can walk to the monastery at Paleo from your apartment. Take your time, and your camera and give yourself at least 3 hours including coffee/alcohol, food breaks. Parking can be difficult once the [many] coaches start to arrive.
Take the car, a taxi or walk to Lacones, visit the bakery for coffee, cake and one of the most fantastic views, then if either taxi or walk, walk down through the olive groves [signposted].

We will be at Anthoussa [again] from July 2nd.

Thumbs Down Still 15 weeks to go, well thereabouts!

It's all Greek to me!
BruceAndMaria View Drop Down
Kassiopi Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceAndMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by jance jance wrote:

Hi Dennis, we are staying at Villa Anthoussa in Paleo, and yes we will have a hire car.  Thanks for the reply by the way.

Hi Jance,

After deciding where to go and seeing as you will have a car...try this link to a nice little map of Corfu, click on the map and it will enlarge.

Bruce
Weststekker View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weststekker Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 3:55pm
Jance,
The ferry runs every hour, outwards on the hour and return on the half hour. The cost is around  2€ return. If you enter my username on the member search, you can then select my photo gallery and there are photos of Vidos and the ferry.

Yammas,  Colin. 
Your Wish is my Command Master.
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 2:48pm
I would choose to go to Corfu Town in the evening- livelier atmosphere, not as hot- often singers or dancers going round the old part

Think archaeological museum is closed for a much needed revamnp- but icon museum is small but lovely
Alehouse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alehouse Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 3:20pm
A must has got to be a day in Kassiopi followed by a Day in Corfu Town. Kassiopi for the atmostphere and people and Corfu Town for the Arabian market
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 12:21am
What Arabian market?  There is nothing remotely resembling a souk!

re Paleocastritsa monastery- don't even think of going there during the day when it is crowded with coaches.  Go up around 7pm- it will still be open and you will have it to yourself except for a monk or two- much nicer!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic