'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Island Hopping Ideas

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vangerover Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Island Hopping Ideas
    Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:35pm
Hiya,

We are starting to plan a 5 week island hop from September 1st. My original idea was to get a flight to Athens, metro down to the Piraeus and get the first ferry out and see where we ended up!

However, as we love Corfu, we are starting there, flying in and staying in Corfu Town for one night, bussing up to Sidari for a couple of nights to visit some old haunts and maybe back to Corfu Town but we are aiming to be very flexible. We have the flights in and out of Greece booked (out of Athens on October 5th) and the first three nights hotels to give us a start.

We would like to visit Kefalonia, Zante etc but are not sure of the best way to get down there i.e. ferry down to Patra and get a connection, or bus from Igoumenitsa to Lefkada and work our way down through the islands. The problem I see is getting back to the mainland and back to Athens.

Has anyone got any suggestions re island hopping in the Ionian Islands and the best routes to take, and maybe some must do's and don'ts. Any suggestions on getting from the mainland to Athens would be welcome.

many thanks,

Terry
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 8:30pm
Hi,
This previous topic on island hopping may be of help to you.

http://www.agni.gr/message_boards/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=63&TopicID=59849&SearchPagePosition=1&search=island+hopping&searchMode=

Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Janmanessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 9:47pm
If the new airline Sky Express goes on working in summer it will make your plans easier. Currently there are flights from Corfu onwards to Prevesa (for Lefkada), then Cephalonia and Zakynthos and on to Kythera, from where you can get a light to Heraklion. Not as much fun as the ferries, but useful all the same.

Once on the  mainland KTEL runs buses to and from Athens. There is also a Flying Dolphin hydrofoil to Piaeus from Kythera I believe.
Vangerover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vangerover Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 1:57am
Thanks for the link, Elliemay, there's a lot of good information on there. No doubt, we will be asking more questions shortly.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 2:01am
We've decided to move around a bit this time after spending many lesiurely weeks in Corfu and many other Greek islands. I especially enjoyed a trip up the north east coast of Corfu in a caique once, a lovely part of the world.
another Mythos? well, just to be sociable!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 2:09am
Janmanessi, thanks for the info on the flights, something we hadn't considered. We knew that there was a direct flight from Corfu to Athens but had the view that we wanted to go across country by land to see places that we'd never seen but flying from from Corfu to Preveza would be a great time-saver.

Are there any train services from the this side of the Greek mainland into Athens?

We have the Michelin 737 large scale map pinned up on a wall so we can plan where we are going (?) but it doesn't show railway lines.

Best wishes,

Terry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janmanessi Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 3:19pm
Train only from Patras I think. Prevesa is literally an hour from Igoumenitsa by bus and quite a nice drive too actually. I'd be tempted to do that bit overland and maybe 'plane hop' another bit!
Alehouse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alehouse Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 3:31pm
Paxos and Anti Paxos ?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 7:06pm
Hiya, we were probably going to visit Paxos on a day trip from Corfu as we read that hotels etc., were very expensive in Paxos. However, if that wasn't the case, another plan was to stay overnight in Paxos and get a one way ferry/daytrip to Parga and the bus onto Lefkada. Any thoughts?

Best wishes,
Terry

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 7:23pm
Plenty of cheap but simple rooms (as oppsoed to hotels) on Paxos, especially in Gaios.  Seems like a good idea.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 8:33pm
Sounds good, we will probably get the ferry down to Paxos, stay a night or so, maybe a day trip to Antipaxos, and then over to Parga.

Best wishes,
Terry
Josefina View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josefina Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 9:22pm
Once on Lefkas it would seem only right to Visit Meganissi.

JoseFina

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 1:16am
Josefina, it would be silly not to!! Would there be much trouble getting accomodation for a night or two?

Best wishes
Terry
Lymmbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lymmbo Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 2:50pm
We have friends who go to Kythera every year and love it. Seemingly it is completely unspoilt as a lot of people haven't heard of it.  Goood luck with your travels
Lymmbo
ElaineK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElaineK Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 3:55pm
Hi Vangerover, I know there are daytrips from Parga to Paxos, but I'm not so sure how easy it is to arrange travel in the opposite direction.  The alternative would be a ferry from Paxos to Igoumenitsa and bus it down the coast to Levkas, possibly via stops in Sivota and Parga.  Then from Levkas, I think it's still possible to get local ferries on to Kefalonia, Ithaca and Zakynthos.
I wasn't lost - I was just taking an interesting detour!
SusieH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusieH Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by vangerover vangerover wrote:

Josefina, it would be silly not to!! Would there be much trouble getting accomodation for a night or two?

Best wishes
Terry

There  is always room in one of the small hotels, just ask at one of the bars in whatever village you end up in, there are only three villages by the way!!
Josefina View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josefina Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 6:12pm
Hi Vangerover,

I agree with SusieH, but you will need to be on a ferry that docks at Vathi. Then turn left walk and ask... Meganissi is a beautiful Island.

JoseFina

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 7:34pm
Of all it is Kythera that draws me- a ex-neighbour in UK has a house there and raves about it, and my husband's second cousin dived there a lot- he is a marine archaeologist- and said it was fantastic, and he is a Corfiot!
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 9:33pm
The ferry from Nidri (Lefkada) across to Meganissi, calls first at Spartahori before then going on to Vathi.
It made us smile to see the local bus leave the ferry at Spartahori before making its way across the island to Vathi.
We also noticed that on occassions house owners waited for the ferry passengers who might be looking for accomodation.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 1:30am
Thanks to all of you for the information. If it is a problem getting from Paxos to Parga, it may be best just to day trip Paxos from Corfu Town, stay overnight close to the port and then ferry over to Igoumenista, then bus to Lefkada and visit Megannisi.

We still want to take in Kefalonia and Zante so would hope to go from Vasiliki to Ithaca, then on to Kefalonia at Sami, out of Argostoli to Zante, and out of Zante to Killini on the mainland.

We then need to get over to Athens so hopefully there is a decent bus service from Killini via Patras or maybe Pyrpos?

It's an option, I suppose, to miss Zante out and go by ferry from Sami to Patras and then on by bus?

Another possibility could be a cheap flight out of Zante to Athens or possibly take Janmanessi's tip on flying from Zante to Kithera! However, the key to the trip is flexibility and don't want to tie ourselves down to a schedule. If we don't do all we want this year, we'll be back next year.

best wishes,
Terry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic