'
Forum Home Forum Home > Ionian Islands > Paxos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Bays On The West Coast

Paxos, Ionian Islands

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJDavies Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bays On The West Coast
    Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 4:25pm
Hi all,

This might be one for the nautically minded among you but I was wondering if anyone was aware of bays on the west coast that are worth a visit/stop off for sunbathing?

I know getting around that side of the island is weather dependent in hire boats but I do enjoy the freedom they provide, and have used them for trips to Anti Paxos and the smaller beaches on the east coast before.

I'll be there two weeks this coming Saturday and cannot wait, reading the report on here of how things are reassuringly the same despite the financial turmoil in Greece has got me far too excited!

Thanks

Nathaniel
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 6:11pm
Hi

As my trips down the west coast have been by yacht, I haven't got that close to the shoreline.  However, I know that there are a couple of small beaches just around the headland from Lakka.  From there, there is very little until you get quite a way south (probably 2/3rds of the way down) and then nothing around the southern end of the island.

Martyn
Malcy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 1:29am
Hi Nathanial
Dream on. Don't lay off on the west coast!

Mavroaspro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mavroaspro Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 7:43pm
There are loads of little bays on the West coast - they just don't tend to be that private because of all the tripper boats - Sterna Bay is quite big and a personal favorite. Generally if the weather is forcast for wind the hire boats owners will inform you as to where you can and cannot go. Sometimes there can be quite a swell on the west side!
NJDavies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJDavies Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 11:12am
Hi Malcy,

Figured it might be like that! Was talking to Spyros (Loggos Rent-A-Boat) last year and he mentioned that there'd been a big land slide that had created a decent beach below the Sunset Bar - accessible either by daft goat track...or boat. 

Oh well, I'll have to content myself with the east coast and a couple of the smaller coves on Anti-Paxos. Shame :)
ElaineK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElaineK Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 11:40am
I remember someone posting a couple of photos of the new beach on the old forum just after the landslide.  I thought it was Leanthros, but I can't find the post.  I do remember thinking that I wouldn't like to be around when it happened though!
I wasn't lost - I was just taking an interesting detour!
Leanthros View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanthros Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 6:03pm
Hiya

Yep, it was me that posted photos of the beach at the bottom of Erimitis Smile

I was last there at the end of May, & there must have been a few more rock falls since the original one because now the beach is a lot smaller & more than half of it is piled high with huge boulders & trees/shrubs that have come down from the top - so it's definitly not the most stable part of the island!

You can still get down there though, by taking the road opposite the Magazia petrol station & then the first small track to the right - this part you can do by car or bike - & after a bit of rough terrain it becomes concrete. If you have a 4x4 you can actually drive right down to the houses at the end (but be careful, it's VERY steep coming back up), otherwise it's probably best to park & walk down. Then there's a steep footpath between the houses which leads to a sterna, & from there stone steps onto the beach.

I'd suggest staying in the middle or to the left side, because as Elaine said you wouldn't want to be around if there was another fall, but in May I climbed over the rocks right to the far end - there are some fantastic pieces of flint down there, & it's quite easy to get into the water to swim. And, take plenty of water & suncream, it's a real hotspot & a trek back up!!

As far as boating the west coast, I'd have to be VERY sure about the weather before I even thought of taking mine round there, it changes in a flash!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic