'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Hotel Reservation For Late August

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkipperDI Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hotel Reservation For Late August
    Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 3:57pm
Hi!

My girlfriend and I are planning a vacation to the island this summer on late august (24/08 till 02/09).

Should I book a hotel already now or wait a bit more?

Will prices go down towards season's end? (a bit high now)

Thanks in advance!!!
Rick_chef View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_chef Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 4:05pm
Prices that time of year aren't likely to come down much, its the last 2 weeks of school holidays and theres a bank holiday in there. Don't leave it too late. Depends what you want to spend, but try olympicholidays.com or icelolly.com
SkipperDI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkipperDI Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 5:00pm
Thanks a lot!
P.S - Would you recommend the northern/western/eastern/southern side of the island?

Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 5:09pm
Hi,
It depends what sort of holiday that you are looking for. Quiet, relaxing, night life etc. 
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
JacquieF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquieF Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 6:06pm
Do you want a hotel, or would an apartment fit the bill?  It is great to have the freedom to try all the different tavernas etc -

Smile
Terry W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry W Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 6:47pm
On a very personal note, I prefere the North/West, in particular Paleiocastritsa. Whilst my age group would probably prefer hotel, we like the freedom of an apartment/studio where you please yourself exactly what you do and when. We do not cook, other than toast, and enjoy trying the different tavernas and their interpretations of classic dishes, and in the six years we have been going to Paleo and the surrounding areas, we have never had a bad meal. We've also had a take-away from one of our regular tavernas, as we couldn't be bothered to go out!!!

At the end of the day [excuse the pun!], you make your choice.

49 sleeps to go [again]  Big smile
It's all Greek to me!
Janet123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janet123 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 7:49pm
Where do you normally holiday, since that would give an idea of the type of resort that would suit you best on Corfu?
Janet123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janet123 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 7:52pm
The best thing about booking the hotel/apartment yourself is that you can stay in more than one resort. Twin centre holidays tend to be expensive if booked as a package.

I do think Corfu is best suited to apartment holidays, since our evenings are usually spent in tavernas.  We like to try various ones in the resort we stay in, and return to the best in the second week.
Dennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 11:09pm
The prices for package holidays and flights will depend on how well bookings are going so it is a lottery whether to book now or wait. If bookings don't go well prices will fall and often do for late August.

You haven't said what sort of a place (resort) you prefer.

Check out Theo's Hotel http://www.theoshotel.com and Costas Golden Beach http://www.costasgoldenbeachhotel.com/ which are in Agios Georgios north. Both are in  the Thomsons brochure.

Agios Georgios north is a beautiful quiet resort with a great beach and plenty of tavernas.
SkipperDI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 7:26am
Thanks to all for the replies !!! Very helpful!

1. I prefer a beach hotel/resort for this vacation, preferably HALF board since at night we always go out.
2. Quiet place is preferable (even 20km from main city, got a car) for example last year when visiting Crete we stayed in Kalami (Kiani Beach Hotel) which is very quiet, 15km from Chania and drove 10minute to Chania each night and had a wonderful time!
3. I guess it is a lottery....but wanted to verify anyhow - from what you say, think I wouldn't take the chance of getting stuck finding all hotels are booked.
4. Is alpharooms.com a site like booking.com? Asking since someone recommended it to me but personally, I have never heard of it before.

Thanks again!
Dennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 10:39am
Skipper
You say at night you 'always go out'.  If that means you prefer to eat out in the evenings then don't go for 'half-board' as that includes an evening meal so you would be paying for meals you would not be eating.
Go for 'Bed and Breakfast' if you can!
SkipperDI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 8:39am
Wait wait wait...
I though that Half Board is Breakfast + 1 more meal (either lunch or dinner) seems like I was wrong....was I? Is it just Breakfast + Dinner?

Terry W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry W Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 11:28am
Emoticons  Half board is usually breakfast [continental/Greek] and evening meal. As Dennis said, bed and breakfast is best then use the local tavernas for your evening meal, never had a bad meal yet in the 6 years we've been going. Apartment/studios give you the freedom to do as you wish, when you wish. The Paleo Inn in Paleiocastritsa is in the Thompson brochure but keeps a couple of rooms for private bookings on bed and breakfast and is MUCH cheaper. Look on the websites for apartments and hotels then check on flights [Jet2, Easyjet, Ryanair, Monarch, Thompsonfly and until 3rd September, BMI Baby].

Only 47 more sleeps to Paleo Thumbs Up
It's all Greek to me!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic