'
Forum Home Forum Home > Corfu > General Corfu Holiday Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have moved; come join us!

A new forum with better features and an all new experience!

If you are an existing forum member please login first then click the button below to join us.

Go!

Wasps

General Corfu Holiday Questions, Corfu

Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickos Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wasps
    Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 10:07pm
Sorry, this has probably been done to death but my search kind of failed miserably! I know there are wasps in September having been to Agios Gordios in the first week of September, but are wasps all over Corfu then? Please don't tell me they aren't a problem - I would have 5 or 6 of the little blighters on me at any one time!!! Really want a week or two in Corfu early September but can't stand the wasps! May have to be Majorca! (roll on San Stephanos in 3 weeks!)
Elliemay View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliemay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 10:43pm
Hi.
I can only say about the NE and NW coasts, but yes in September the wasps can be a pest. Angry They are mostly drunk and dozy as they feast on the ripening grapes. One thing that does discourage them is burning Greek coffee grains in an ashtray or some such container at your table.
To be honest as long as you don't annoy them and just gently waft them away they aren't a real problem. 
Cornucopia
Of
Real
Friends
Unsurpassed
Frilly View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frilly Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:03pm
Youre definitely going to get wasps in September ... we always have and we have decided that we are now always going in June as they were a pest. Theyre not out to sting but nightmare whilst youre eating outside even though we had two dishes of Greek coffee burning and we found we had to shut villa windows when cooking as they just homed on in.  Also last year must have been a bad year as they were swarming around the pool as there were ripened grape vines attracting them. 
Bob and Wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob and Wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:03pm
Hi Nickos, I am personally very aware of wasps as I am alergic to their sting, in the past I have spent hours in A&E in shock from wasp stings. I spend many visits to Corfu, and to be honest I have not found them to be any more of a threat  than elswhere in Europe in September.
Just be aware that they home in on food, so Elliemay's burning coffee solution works perfectly well and is used by many tavernas to help their clients.
Bob.
Jesus wants me as a sunbeam. And a jolly good sunbeam am I.
Julesx2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julesx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:11pm
I noticed Boots sell wasp repellant, has anyone used it and is it any good? Jungle Formula used to sell something called Wasp Away and that worked a treat one spray and off they went..julesxx
Corfu 24th june 2012..good times
Frilly View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frilly Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:15pm
Took it away last September ... didnt do anything to the wasps where we were sadly Unhappy it was the Wasp Away repellant.
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:44pm
A pot of jam strategically placed does the trickAngry
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

Mrmorty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrmorty Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 4:37pm
I've seen in  the local taverna, plastic water bottle hanging from the tree with small holes in it with some lemonade/Lilt in it. 
Trisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trisa Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 4:58pm
We don't eat our main meal until after 9pm in the summer. It seems to be wasp free by that time in the evening!
Lymmbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lymmbo Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 5:08pm
Can't emphasise enough how good the burning coffee granules are at keeping the wasps away. Also the lemonade bottles as they will go for the sugar, which is most likely why a jar of jam works. Try not to put it off going to Corfu, as it is loads better than Majorca, and I bet the little blighters are around there too
Lymmbo
JacquieF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquieF Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 6:15pm
We haven't had much problem with wasps as we go in August (too hot but our only option!)  -  mind you I am glad we haven't as the ones we have seen don't bear any resemblance to their British cousins ... huge things, black with red bums!  I wouldn't mess with one but luckily they didn't mess with me, they just visited the pool for a drink!
Sooz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sooz Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 8:11pm
I will second how good the burning coffee is. As for the bottles filled with sugary drinks, when in Thassos they went one better and hung raw fish (sardines?) inside the bottles which attracted the wasps far better than drinks or jam.

A few years back there was a wasp's next on the balcony of our apartment (this was in July) and although they were flying around quite a bit they really were not at all interested in us even when there was food about.  Much smaller than the UK variety.
Sue
Corfu...I came, I saw, it conquered!
DAVID1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVID1 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 10:54pm
I find wasps a bit of a nuisance in September but it can vary from resort to resort. You can be at one place and they are numerous and a few miles down the road there's very few about. There must be some scientific reason for this difference because it's quite strange. 

I wouldn't go to Majorca in September because the wasps there are huge and carnivorous. Evil Smile

David
This is My FAVOURITE Website!!

Missing Corfu!
Jules72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules72 Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 2:51am
We went to Sidari last September, hired jeeps and visited surrounding areas - all the same - wasps everywhere. If I could have got on a plane and come home I would have!!! I couldn't sit on the balcony, relax by the pool, shop or dine in peace. I have a phobia of wasps and have never seen so many in my life!!! It's put me off the Greek islands. I watched in horror as people sat eating icecreams in Paleocastristas, they had to waft wasps away before every lick. Although the waiters cleared tables quite quickly, they were having to carry plates with several wasps on them. The only peace I had was on boat trips or at night. I used wasp repellant in the day..they didn't care. Mozzie repellant worked at night, so loved the nights there, but dreaded morning :(
Julia
Ellenjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellenjay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:13am
Jules72, we usually go to Corfu at the end of May or early June and the wasps are not a problem then in my experience.
Mosquitos are another story...
Argostoli in 12 weeks!
Michelleandlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michelleandlee Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 10:39am
Whilst visiting a friend the other day, we were sat on the balcony eating. My friend then placed a single piece of cooked ham on a plate and placed it within just about a foot or too away from us? I asked what it was for and she said the wasps!! Ok, thought she was winding me up, that is until the wasps completely ignored us and our table and quite happily dined on the cooked ham! Fascinating to watch!! The wasps actually cut out small pieces and carried them away!!! I promise not a single drop of ouzo had passed by lips at this point!!!
Michelle

Michelle and Lee - we came, we saw, we stayed!
MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 12:48pm
Michelleandlee

You were not seeing things, I promise.  At that stage, the wasps are feeding the grubs and so go for protien - and as you say, they will not really bother you directly if there is an easy option.

I also find that the wasps in Greece are not as aggressive as those in the UK and if you leave them alone, they are not too much of a problem.

Martyn
Elizajay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizajay Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 1:26pm
Thats a good tip re eating late to avoid the wasps, the owners of our apartments advised us to eat after the sun had gone down, as the wasps disappear then...it worked a treat!

Just wondering, has anybody ever been stung by a wasp whilst eating a meal in Corfu? They are a nuisance I agree, but I dont recall anyone reporting a sting, as they dont seem out to get you Ouch (unlike in Britain where a wasp flew up my dress in the garden and stung me on the stomach...I wasnt even aware of it until I felt the sting! Angry
Davyboy View Drop Down
4 Stars Wow!
4 Stars Wow!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 1:37pm
Keep taking your, take a holiday in kassiopi pills.

MartynG View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartynG Quote  Post ReplyReply PM
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 5:00pm
Elizajay

I once had a wasp in my mouth (this was on Paxos) but it didn't sting me.

We were having an evening drink on the harbourside in Lakka and when I took a swig of beer (without looking!) I felt something odd in my mouth, so spat the drink back into the glass - low and behold, one drunk wasp!

Martyn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic